Pronunciation thread

About Terry Bozzio:

Is it Bowzio or Bahzio?

Taye I always thought was one syllable. Rhymes with Marvin Gaye. That's probably wrong.

Tama, rhymes with Mama

Sonor is So-NOR I think. Does not rhyme with donor.

Sakae...say kay? I don't know what you people expect! Maybe it's Sa-ka. Rhymes with Boom Shack-a lack-a lack-a. Not really, I just felt like writing that out.

Orillio. Like Oriole, with a long O sound tacked onto the end.

As a side note, whats up with W (double u)? Were they just being lazy when creating the alphabet? Can't come up with another name, just make it double some other letter, doesn't even matter if it doesn't make sense. Why isnt it double v? These are the things that keep me up at night. I guess I can just be glad that M is double r or whatever. Sorry to derail, just had to get this off my chest. Ill sleep like a baby tonight, you helped, thanks.

As a side note, whats up with W (double u)? Were they just being lazy when creating the alphabet? Can't come up with another name, just make it double some other letter, doesn't even matter if it doesn't make sense. Why isnt it double v? These are the things that keep me up at night. I guess I can just be glad that M is double r or whatever. Sorry to derail, just had to get this off my chest. Ill sleep like a baby tonight, you helped, thanks.

But U and W are different sounding letters. Only the names are similar. Lazy naming, there's your culprit. I think they should drop the letters X and K. X is covered by the syntax EKS and K is covered by the hard C sound. And what's the deal using Y as a vowel, like in the word rhythm? Wrong usage! Rhithm! If that was the way you learned it originally...it wouldn't look so stupid :)

Taye I always thought was one syllable. Rhymes with Marvin Gaye. That's probably wrong.

Tama, rhymes with Mama

Sonor is So-NOR I think. Does not rhyme with donor.

Sakae...say kay? I don't know what you people expect! Maybe it's Sa-ka. Rhymes with Boom Shack-a lack-a lack-a. Not really, I just felt like writing that out.

Orillio. Like Oriole, with a long O sound tacked onto the end.

O-rill-e-o Notice that last "i"

Peart, with the sound of "ear." Not like the shampoo.

Thats strange, my first band was called Rithm Covrt, except it was spelled with a triple u...its a thing, google it

In old English "V" was a U..Have you never seen old buildings like the COVRT house written above the doors.? Probably from Latin

Indeed, that is correct. And also in ye olde english, a long 's' shape which looks like f but without the crossbar, represented the letter s. But apparently only where there isn't a double s and not at the end of a word. It would be used like 'moft gracious'. Or, 'fonor drums' :D

Lol, no way is it 'saNooor'.

I would have thought Sakae being a Japanese brand would be pronounced in the Japanese phonetic fashion, e.g. sah-kah-eh (with the kah and eh kind of run together).
Mind you, a lot of Japanese names get 'westernised' pronunciation, like toe-key-oh, instead of tor-kih-or (Tokyo).

Back