Promark sticks - clickier than others?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
To my hands, ProMark sticks are the most forward weighted of all the brands. It could explain the clickiness. The shoulder of the stick is stiffer and would make a more pronounced attack. Just a theory.
No, a stiffer stick is LESS clicky. The click is very high-pitched frequencies, which are the ones that are most easily muffled. The extra stiffness in a stiffer stick leaves the tip on the drum a tiny bit longer, which muffled the highest frequencies a touch.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I was thinking it would be a louder attack by virtue of the extra weight in the front of the stick creating more volume from the tip.

I can't get on board with the tip muffling the high pitched frequencies. It makes no sense to me. The tip gets out of the way too quick.

Ruok

Silver Member
I just discovered this video from Promark. Back in 2017 Promark redesigned their acorn tips to have "increased articulation". I wonder if this is what I noticed. I might not be crazy after all? :unsure: Does this equate to more "clicky"?

Ruok

Silver Member
I went looking through my sticks at home and found the Promark oak sticks I bought ages ago. They are the “707 Jazz-Rock” with a big round nylon tip. The logo is brown and on the butt area of the stick. One surprising thing about them is it says in very small print “Hand-Made”.

Ruok

Silver Member
So I got some Promark 5A hickory oval wood tip sticks last week. Promark describes this model as having a full and dark sound. I started messing around on my home kit and compared them to my other sticks to see if I could notice any difference in terms of the click sound.

The first thing I noticed was that the sticks were super straight. They also were visually identical. This made me quite happy since you never know what you will get when you order online. I immediately loved the feel of the sticks in my hands. I also am a fan of the logo and the various print on the sticks.

I realize that this model was not designed to be the most articulate or to have the most click. But it definitely seemed to have a nice balance of that. Though it was subtle, I compared it mostly to a 5A Vic Firth hickory stick, and the VF was darker sounding. I definitely liked the sound and the feel of the Promark over the VF.

I also compared it to my beloved Vater 5A maple sticks. It’s not really a fair comparison since the wood is different. But they were surprisingly similar to each other, with the Vater being a bit lighter and mellower.

So, I don’t know if my theory is accurate or not. But I think that I will be going Promark for any new purchases. I want to get some recordings of me at church playing with others to see if I can tell a difference. My “dream sound” is to have mostly an overall woody click sound on the ride and hi hats.