Promark stick length

Treverer

I'm in the midst of testing different sticks and am having a closer look on Promark's website. While I'm scrolling through their offerings I recognize that basically every stick has a from/to length specification?! WTF? Is Promark that inconsistent? Do the sticks grow when rubbed the right way? Or am I just missing something very obvious?

C.M. Jones

I use AHEAD sticks exclusively now, but I was a devout Promark customer for years. I even worked at their original Texas factory in high school. The first stick I ever owned, back in 1984, was the Promark 2S, a tree trunk my instructor selected to develop my hands and wrists. It seemed to weigh a few pounds, but I was kid at the time.

The length range you mention came into existence when D'Addario acquired Promark. For instance, most sticks are now listed somewhere between 15-16 inches in length. The purpose of this convention puzzles me as well. It's not as though they're selling the same stick in two lengths. They almost seem to be admitting their lack of interest in precision. And imagine getting one stick closer to 15 and the other closer to 16. Their site should elaborate on this bizarre designation.

I switched to AHEAD for a few reasons, superior shock absorption being the primary purpose. Another is the inconsistency of wood sticks. I grew tired of transitioning from one pair of 5Bs that weighed 58 grams to another that weighed 67. On occasion, I'd receive a single pair of sticks with a weight disparity of 10 grams. That doesn't happen with AHEAD. Their specs have always been dead on in my experience.

Treverer

I'm using Vic Firth 98% of the time and I like their different length options. For example, I use the 16" Matt Garstka stick when playing in music school on a small electronic drumset, at home on my big kit I prefer a bit more reach, using X55A or FS55A.
Buying sticks and not knowing of they're 16" or 17" is a no go by Promark. How come nobody else seems to mind?

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
That is odd isn't it?
Some folks here noticed that their website is pretty confusing on specs:

However I can confirm that Promark's 5A is exactly 16" long, just like everybody else's.
The problem is not the sticks, it's the specs on the site.

Treverer

However I can confirm that Promark's 5A is exactly 16" long, just like everybody else's.
Yeah well, but the problem is, what to buy in the first place when the measurements listed on the page are not accurate? Anyone ever asked D'Addario about that?

C.M. Jones

I'm using Vic Firth 98% of the time and I like their different length options. For example, I use the 16" Matt Garstka stick when playing in music school on a small electronic drumset, at home on my big kit I prefer a bit more reach, using X55A or FS55A.
Buying sticks and not knowing of they're 16" or 17" is a no go by Promark. How come nobody else seems to mind?
If you like Vic Firth, you might try Zildjian sticks. The two companies merged recently, and their production and quality control should be very similar, if not identical. If I weren't using AHEAD, Zildjian's hickory 5B might be my go-to stick.

Treverer

If you like Vic Firth, you might try Zildjian sticks. The two companies merged recently, and their production and quality control should be very similar, if not identical. If I weren't using AHEAD, Zildjian's hickory 5B might be my go-to stick.
I know, that's why I'm not testing them :D I want to try something different, different lacquer, tips, tapers....

The Edge

That is odd isn't it?

Hey that's my thread! Haha

Whatever Promark/D'addario has done to their site, suntracting the specific dimensions, is completely ludicrous and frustrating as a Promark consumer. Complete nonsense.

The Edge

That is odd isn't it?

Yes, exactly. The sticks are fine. Just the website...huge turn off. I get flaccid looking at it.

Treverer

I got a response from customer service:

"I agree it should be more specific because for a drummer that inch of possible difference is big.

The prior site I believe was more accurate.

I looked myself and I see what you mean, seems utterly ridiculous so not have more dimension that are more accurate. My apologies.

If you select a few item numbers I can then delve into exact specifications and then reply back. I must admits it is embarrassing to see how carless that looks for consumers."

Maybe, MAYBE, we get an updated website at some point in the future ;) Until then I won't order Promark sticks...

DrumDoug

I went to the website. If you click on the Learn More button and then scroll all the way to the bottom, it has the specific length and diameter of the model. The information is there, it’s just a little hard to find.

C.M. Jones

"I agree it should be more specific because for a drummer that inch of possible difference is big.

I looked myself and I see what you mean, seems utterly ridiculous so not have more dimension that are more accurate. My apologies.

If you select a few item numbers I can then delve into exact specifications and then reply back. I must admits it is embarrassing to see how carless that looks for consumers."

Maybe, MAYBE, we get an updated website at some point in the future ;) Until then I won't order Promark sticks...
And they didn't realize this glaring fallacy until reading your inquiry? When their product catalog was composed, did they not inspect it for clarity and accuracy? I hope their factory is more attentive to stick production than their marketing group is to editing. Unbelievable.

The Edge

Wow. What a response. Great work.

The Edge

I went to the website. If you click on the Learn More button and then scroll all the way to the bottom, it has the specific length and diameter of the model. The information is there, it’s just a little hard to find.
I didn't notice the "learn more" tab until you pointed it out. Right side of screen. The info is there.

What a weird, overly done, crappy design.

Treverer

That's not the case for all models. I checked the "Learn More" box for Forward 55As and all it says is the width. But at least for some models it's SOMEWHERE. Great catch!

Edit: For the Rebound 55A long it gives you the length in the box, but then the width is missing 😂