Promark Mike Portnoy Activegrip

jginalbany

Promark Mike Portnoy Activegrip - Wrong Length

Anyone else try these? I was excited when they were introduced because I like extended length sticks and I've had good luck with activegrip helping me with stick slippage. Weirdly, though, even though the package says they're 16 1/2", the pair I bought was only 16 1/4". I only noticed because I set them down next to a pair of Vic Firth X5As.

Nonetheless, I emailed Promark and they sent me 2 replacement pairs, but those are also 16 1/4. Bummer.

Jim

Last edited:
There may be a typo on the packaging- the Mike Portnoy ActiveGrip 420X is in fact 16 1/4" in length. Sounds like you've got plenty of sticks to try out now!

I've been using the Promark Activegrip. I like them.
I will like them a lot more when they start making them with nylon tips.
The guy at the factory told me they plan on having nylon tip Activegrip sticks available in early 2017.

I wasn't aware of the ActiveGrip line of drumsticks until this post, but noticed D'Addario's website states there are 8 models ( in addition to the "ActiveWave" Kotche model). I'd like to try them out but I don't think my local Guitar Center(s) carry them in stock yet.

Anyone find them locally yet or do they have to be shipped per order?

Rebound 5A ActiveGrip | R5AAG
Forward 5A ActiveGrip | F5AAG
Rebound 5B ActiveGrip | R5BAG
Forward 5B ActiveGrip | F5BAG
Rebound 7A ActiveGrip | R7AAG
Forward 7A ActiveGrip | F7AAG
Rich Redmond ActiveGrip 595 | TXRRW-AG
Mike Portnoy ActiveGrip 420X | TXMP420XW-AG

All of my local Guitar Centers carry the standard 5A Activegrip sticks.
But not the 7A or the signature sticks.

One interesting thing is that, for some reason, the 5A are the best sounding cross-stick drum stick I have ever heard!

All of my local Guitar Centers carry the standard 5A Activegrip sticks.
But not the 7A or the signature sticks.

One interesting thing is that, for some reason, the 5A are the best sounding cross-stick drum stick I have ever heard!

I'll check out the sticks at GC next time I visit.

The GC website says the store closest to me has the Active Grip 5B available for pickup today, but not the 5A or 7A.

I guess it varies.

I'll check out the sticks at GC next time I visit.

Yeah check them out. I have been using Zildjian and Vic Firth coated sticks for a few years. Eventually the coating peals off.
(My sticks last me a long time.) And these coatings do not work good for cross sticking.

I think this new Activgrip might last longer than the coated sticks I have been using. And, I can cross-stick with them.

There may be a typo on the packaging- the Mike Portnoy ActiveGrip 420X is in fact 16 1/4" in length.

It's not a typo. There was obviously a problem with the production run because even your own PR states that the length was supposed to be 16.5".

2pp0t1w.png

I bought a pair of the Rich Redmonds to try both the ActiveGrip and his signature stick. Just like he described, a nice backbeat kind of stick. The AG is nice in the hand.

Like another poster said, I'm waiting for the Nylon tip versions. Also would like to see the 55A (.580") Rebound Balance offered in ActiveGrip. .565 is a bit too small while .595 is a bit too big. My playing style lends itself to .580's nicely.

I LOVE the activegrip...I posted about them not too long ago. I always have to order them in, I've got 7A, 5A, and 5B (all rebound). They all feel good but the 5B is now my go to.

It's not a typo. There was obviously a problem with the production run because even your own PR states that the length was supposed to be 16.5".

2pp0t1w.png

There's nothing wrong with the production run. The PR was pulled from the same source that the packaging was referencing.

2pp0t1w.png

What's the little black ring for on the stick? I have a pair of AG's myself but I think I lost one of them but what are they actually for though?

I have been using them since they came out and find the grip really nice-doesn't seem to irritate my hands like some dipped sticks and does work for me. The only thing I found was a durability issue. The tips on my first pair chipped pretty quickly and I'm neither a hard hitter nor someone who plays tons. The second pair lasted exactly two practice sessions with one stick snapping completely in half while playing my electric kit ie.no hard rim shots. I just chalked it up to a bad piece of hickory. No issues so far with the third pair. I do love the feel though.

I have been using them since they came out and find the grip really nice-doesn't seem to irritate my hands like some dipped sticks and does work for me. The only thing I found was a durability issue. The tips on my first pair chipped pretty quickly and I'm neither a hard hitter nor someone who plays tons. The second pair lasted exactly two practice sessions with one stick snapping completely in half while playing my electric kit ie.no hard rim shots. I just chalked it up to a bad piece of hickory. No issues so far with the third pair. I do love the feel though.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the texture. If you're having issues with sticks lasting, please contact us at CR-Promark@daddario and we'll be sure to take care of you.

I guess they are like buying 2 x 4 lumber. Actual size 1.5 x 3.5

Got a pair of the 5A's and there ok, my hands sweat a lot when playing and they slipped a few times.. The tip also broke easily enough too.

Got a pair of the Glen Kotche Model and they are amazing but will be a heavy pair of sticks for certain styles.. I use them for rock covers and the wavey handle is something different.

Would really like to try a few different models with the activegrip so lets see what Promark release in 2017

Back