Promark Firegrain?

BenOBrienSmith

I tried a pair last week and had the same thought on them being heavy. What I didn't know is they have 3 different versions (which I didn't know) and they supposedly have the same weights as their hickory counter part according to a promark rep.
It does seem like they're using heavier dowels to make these sticks. This would also help to reinforce the durability claim (though independently of the flame treatment process).

I was curious if these will leave a mark to the head?
It has a 'charred' look. Is that actually burnt wood? Stained?

side note: I play an E-kit with mesh heads and was not sure if they are more susceptible to transfer of 'material' compared to an acoustic kits heads.
The sticks are actually burnt (they go through a quick scorching process). They're lacquered after that process. I've been playing with my prototypes for a while now without any markings created on heads or cymbals.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Was at Guitar Center today and tried a pair of the classic 5A, they feel just slightly heavier than the hickory 5A I've used for the past 15 years, not a ton of weight difference just a small amount. The price though $12.99 a pair :-o (didn't see that last time I was in) $3.50 more a pair than the same hickory stick. No thanks

mike d

Silver Member
I posted before that I thought they might just be a gimmick, and I still believe that. I might try a pair though, just because they look cool. :)

newoldie

Silver Member
Just finished a 4 hour gig and played 2/3 of it with the 5A Firegrain.

Not a blemish on the sticks, nothing transferred onto the heads, sticks felt great, didn't slip, sound was a bit darker than my Weckl Evolutions (nylon tips).

Solid, comfortable, all purpose stick. I won't need to buy a replacement of these for some time if they continue to hold up as strong as they have been so far.

Woolwich

Silver Member
Was at Guitar Center today and tried a pair of the classic 5A, they feel just slightly heavier than the hickory 5A I've used for the past 15 years, not a ton of weight difference just a small amount. The price though $12.99 a pair :-o (didn't see that last time I was in) $3.50 more a pair than the same hickory stick. No thanks
In the UK it's worse, approximately £20 versus a normal Pro Mark at around £10. Possibly they might be a good option over the standard Pro Marks, but as someone who has bought bags of about 12 pairs of Pro Mark "seconds" for £20 and made the first bag last over a year then even though these sticks are probably worth it I'm "spoilt" and baulk at these types of prices now

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I wonder how hot and how long the sticks were treated.

I might put a drum stick in the oven next time I bake a pizza, compare it to it's untreated stick.

newoldie

Silver Member
Just finished a 4 hour gig and played 2/3 of it with the 5A Firegrain.

Not a blemish on the sticks, nothing transferred onto the heads, sticks felt great, didn't slip, sound was a bit darker than my Weckl Evolutions (nylon tips).

Solid, comfortable, all purpose stick. I won't need to buy a replacement of these for some time if they continue to hold up as strong as they have been so far.

I've had my pair for over a year now, using them on and off so not too intensely, no shaving off the sticks like other ones though. I use them from time to time as a sub for my main Weckl and Jack DeJohnette plastic tips on gigs for the difference in sound. They feel good, rebound pretty well and aren't heavy.

AzHeat

Platinum Member

I might put a drum stick in the oven next time I bake a pizza, compare it to it's untreated stick.
I think torching it momentarily with map gas will work better and not heat the core of the stick much.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member

Heating the entire stick as opposed to torching the outside, could cause warpage depending on how the current fiber pattern and moisture are distributed.

Wood Work Web:
Warping can also occur in wood considered "dry" (wood can take up and release moisture indefinitely), when it takes up moisture unevenly, or – especially – is allowed to return to its "dry" equilibrium state unevenly, too slowly, or too quickly.

I would also caution catching the clear coat on fire.

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
I have worn a few sets out at the rimshot point. They ‘peel’ like a normal set of sticks, it just takes much, much longer. They are extremely hard and therefore tough on the wrist. That’s the only negative point I have experienced.

A money saver for sure for the hard hitting drummer.

I found they lasted a bit longer than my VF X5as, but the tips still went.
Nice smell of burnt wood when you've dome a 3 hour session with them lol!!!!

Mustion

I tried several pairs of these out recently and I conclude that they aren't necessarily more durable than typical sticks. I experienced the usual wear over several hard practices (rimshots causing splintering in the middle, hi hat chipping on the taper). I'm not sure any "tempering" process would avoid that, and perhaps my technique is to blame; regardless, the rate of wear seemed to be no less than their standard counterparts.

They did leave brown residue on a triple flanged black snare rim; when I used another pair on a snare with s-hoops there was no residue and unsurprisingly far less splintering. They do leave some marks on coated skins but that's to be expected of any stick with a non-natural finish.

I will probably keep using these in louder situations because they do seem to have a slightly more "solid" feel to them which I appreciated. But I don't see an increase in durability proportional to the increase in price.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I think torching it momentarily with mapp gas will work better and not heat the core of the stick much.
I thought I'd try my own recommendation and torched a pair of sticks. I have a matching pair to compare to. It only took one pass on each side to make them look like the Firegrains and I knocked them down with 600 grit paper afterwards. The "torched" pair definitely feel different Much harder feeling and even sound a bit harder when struck against each other. I think what I like best about them is they now smell delicious! :D

Ransan

I was curious if these will leave a mark to the head?
It has a 'charred' look. Is that actually burnt wood? Stained?

side note: I play an E-kit with mesh heads and was not sure if they are more susceptible to transfer of 'material' compared to an acoustic kits heads.

I just got a pair today and after 30 seconds or so I looked down and it was turning my head with brown spots. Couldn’t see spots forming on cymbals but sure they were there.

Anyone with prolonged experience have the charred material spot stain cymbals?
I ask because mine are brilliant and rather new so I don’t want to have this happen to cymbals.

I may sand the tips and just go with that or they can be my practice pad sticks.

Other than that they look cool and they feel just like my Jap oak 7a sticks and are just as long. They do seem to have a forward leaning moment about them, and the tip is more barreled than my tapering nylon tips.

*I know this is old post but just wanted to add my 2 cents, as well as info gathering.*