Prologix ThunderKick unboxing and review... and other Prologix products

WhoIsTony?

I've been using Prologix products for about 10 years.
I believe they are among the best practice products made ... if the THE best.
Here is a look at their bass drum practice pad the "ThunderKick"... which is leaps and bounds better than any other bass drum practice pad on the market.
Jason Edwards and his team at Prologix Percussion consistently put out extremely high quality, solidly constructed products.
If you haven't used their product I highly recommend you checking them out.

I am in no way associated with the company other than a user of their product

please move this to where it should be if it is in the wrong section

I'm really liking the look of the build on those pieces.

Although I've never used one, I can't help thinking the arc of the reverse orientated beater would differ in feel to the arc in the standard drum playing position, simply on the basis of weight trajectory - mass start / finish position. Is that something you experience, or is it so minor as to be a non issue?

I won't speak for Tony (ironically we share the same name....lol), but...

That design is the same as Roland used for it's KD-7 bass drum trigger.

I used one for about two years, and "yes" it had a different feel (at least to me and my foot) than a standard pedal setup.

For me, it was quicker and hit harder, with a shorter overall stroke. Which means it took less effort to get the same-or usually better results. Nice sharp, consistent hits, double and triples etc.

NOW, having said that.... The changeable insert will negate some of that advantage as the Roland had a hard rubber "bumper" vs a soft pad that will absorb some of the energy.

The good news is after a few minutes (ok, maybe a few more than a few) on a standard pedal your foot will translate and adjust those micro-movements to the slightly different feel and you'll be off to the races again.

So bottom line, while different, it isn't "bad" and I definately see it as a great tool for practicing quietly...

I'm really liking the look of the build on those pieces.

Although I've never used one, I can't help thinking the arc of the reverse orientated beater would differ in feel to the arc in the standard drum playing position, simply on the basis of weight trajectory - mass start / finish position. Is that something you experience, or is it so minor as to be a non issue?
Zero issue

I'm not sure I'm getting this.

For less money, you could do a KAT Percussion KT-KP1 Kick Pedal Trigger, and if you ever got into electronics, you could use the same.

Not getting the price point of that Prologix.

I'm not sure I'm getting this.

For less money, you could do a KAT Percussion KT-KP1 Kick Pedal Trigger, and if you ever got into electronics, you could use the same.

Not getting the price point of that Prologix.
Those things feel like you are playing a piece of granite counter top... but rock it if it’s your thing... no pun

I’ll take this Prologix piece all day for a whole $30 more

Those things feel like you are playing a piece of granite counter top... but rock it if it’s your thing... no pun

I’ll take this Prologix piece all day for a whole $30 more

:) Seriously - some might feel rotten, but the KAT solution is made of rubber, and then they supply a special batter that is also rubber. It feels great.

Hi Tony,

Cool product. Does that whole setup mimic a low volume practice set, so far as the drums are concerned? I just saw your thread and wondering if this is a better option than the Super Pads I just picked up. Seems way easier to dedicate everything to a full blown practice pad set...assuming the L80s don’t drown them out.

Hi Tony,

Cool product. Does that whole setup mimic a low volume practice set, so far as the drums are concerned? I just saw your thread and wondering if this is a better option than the Super Pads I just picked up. Seems way easier to dedicate everything to a full blown practice pad set...assuming the L80s don’t drown them out.
Are those the Aquarian pads?
If so I have no experience with them... they look awesome though.
I’m very happy with my late night practice set up.
It all feels great and the L80s don’t over power anything at all .
The cymbals feel and sound great.
I’m actually going to use them on a hip hop recording session this coming week.

Back