Professional MLX hardware updated.

5 years ago I found this pristine 85 MLX. I decided to get Aluminum Optimounts & ax25L brackets. I made my own Tom cover plates. I’m keeping the old bass drum Tom arms. The Optimounts really opened up the sound!
The last pic is a 1982 314L 8ply Maple 14x6.5 snare I bought last year.

Attachments

• IMG_4266.jpeg
    IMG_4266.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4294.jpeg
    IMG_4294.jpeg
    562.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4295.jpeg
    IMG_4295.jpeg
    562.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4298.jpeg
    IMG_4298.jpeg
    617.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3175.jpeg
    IMG_3175.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 30
Nice work.

That era Pearl shells were well made (as are current) and really sounded great, the only annoying thing the was the mounting arms and the limited setup positions.....then again the power toms of the 80's didn't help that either.

A well sorted MLX or BLX in birch really sing when opened up.......

Very nice kit

Love that kit and love your experimentation with the optimounts.
My 88 WLX is old school too, and I actually prefer bass drum mounted toms. I doubt I'll be doing similar to mine however. It is not practical for me. But yours is cool to see.

5 years ago I found this pristine 85 MLX. I decided to get Aluminum Optimounts & ax25L brackets. I made my own Tom cover plates. I’m keeping the old bass drum Tom arms. The Optimounts really opened up the sound!
The last pic is a 1982 314L 8ply Maple 14x6.5 snare I bought last year.
ISO mounts are the biggest innovation in resonance ever

Love it!

Your '85 MLX kit is looking sharp all decked out in those aluminum OptiMounts P!

Sending all my best to you and the missus. :)

That is a job well done. May they give you many more years of musical joy. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:
Love it!

Your '85 MLX kit is looking sharp all decked out in those aluminum OptiMounts P! My

Sending all my best to you and the missus. :)
Thx Kevin,I cant remember if I shared this but I had a heart cath procedure 10/3023 I had 90% blockage in the LAD artery. I have a MEGATRON stent! I guess the condition is known as the widow maker. I’m on heart meds for the rest of my life but it beats a dirt nap!
Im in a couple of geezer projects but my bar playing days are few and eventually going away not due the health issues but most people in bars at least don’t really
seem to care about live music these days.

Thx Kevin,I cant remember if I shared this but I had a heart cath procedure 10/3023 I had 90% blockage in the LAD artery. I have a MEGATRON stent! I guess the condition is known as the widow maker. I’m on heart meds for the rest of my life but it beats a dirt nap!
Im in a couple of geezer projects but my bar playing days are few and eventually going away not due the health issues but most people in bars at least don’t really
seem to care about live music these days.
Yikes Paul!

I didn't know that you had a procedure done last October.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that with your heart, but I'm so thrilled to hear that you are still alive and drumming.

As far as the bar gigs go, that sounds like a very common and unfortunate theme that is often being discussed in one of the threads here on the forum.

Sending my love to the both of you, and wishing you a healthy and speedy recovery brother. 🥁❤️:)

Thx Kevin, what was scary is it could have taken me out anytime. I’m Thankful for your concern how is your family? Thanks to other members for the comments.
No problem Paul,

I'm just glad to hear that you are okay.

Thankfully, everyone here at home is relatively healthy and doing well. Pretty much the same ole', same ole'. :)

Those cover plates look fantastic!

I'm sure you know this already, but there is a Pearl cover plate for kick drums should you decide to take off the double-tom mount on your kick.

These look good once they are mounted, but they are cheaper than they look. Here's an example (I think they are cheaper on EvilBay).

Back