Problems with my floor tom

Botiarazman

Hey people! My Yamaha stage customs finally arrived on monday... I set them up and I tried to tune them, but the 16" floor tom didn't tune up easily, the bottom head was flawed and I noticed that the shell isn't round. Is it me or should I send it back?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If your floor tom is truly out of round, you need to send it back. You'll never get it to sound as good as a round drum.

harryconway

Platinum Member
How out of round is it? 1/8"? 1/4"? More? Less?

What do you mean by "the bottom (reso) head was flawed"? Did you replace the flawed head with a new one, and it still won't tune? Or are you trying to use the stock flawed/damaged head still?

trickg

Silver Member
If your floor tom is truly out of round, you need to send it back. You'll never get it to sound as good as a round drum.
This. Are you sure it's the shell and not the hoop that's out of round? I've seen both, and an out of round hoop will hinder tuning too, although not as much as an out of round drum.

Whatever the case, if I were in your shoes, I'd send it back - it's a PIA, but you won't ever be happy with it as it is.

Botiarazman

How out of round is it? 1/8"? 1/4"? More? Less?

What do you mean by "the bottom (reso) head was flawed"? Did you replace the flawed head with a new one, and it still won't tune? Or are you trying to use the stock flawed/damaged head still?
It's one cm... that's like 3/8". I haven't changed the stock heads yet but I tried it with both the original top and bottom heads...

Botiarazman

This. Are you sure it's the shell and not the hoop that's out of round? I've seen both, and an out of round hoop will hinder tuning too, although not as much as an out of round drum.

Whatever the case, if I were in your shoes, I'd send it back - it's a PIA, but you won't ever be happy with it as it is.
No, the hoop is round, the two hoops fit perfectly and I even compared them to a third hoop and there was no noticeable difference.

Botiarazman

Okay
And also, the other drums aren't perfect either, but it's only by a few millimetres - is that a problem as well? I don't know how strictly I should take this.

harryconway

Platinum Member
It's one cm... that's like 3/8". I haven't changed the stock heads yet but I tried it with both the original top and bottom heads...
It's probably not you, then. Over 1/4" is for sure a problem. Send it back for replacement. 1/8" or less is usually not a problem. 1/8" to 1/4" can be dicey. Your drum is past dicey.

Stroman

Platinum Member
One lesson I learned - you have to measure for roundness with both heads off. Not sure if you are doing that, but I could see a "flawed" reso head pulling the batter side out of round.

If the drum is truly 3/8 inch out of round with both heads off, I'd send it back.