Problems with drum teacher

While this guy may be a good drummer he doesn't sound like much of a teacher.

You seem like someone who wants to learn and do the job, so then it's a teaches most basic job to see where you're at, recognize what you don't get and help you with that.

If I can evben get someone interested enough to want to work specifically on technique it's a happy day for me.

Yeah. Find someone else. A real teacher. Not a drummer who teachers just for the money. Teaching is a skill a gift, not everyone knows how, I should know.

I don't like a teacher that wants to make you play fast before being able to play slow or medium first. He sounds like a crappy teacher. A good teacher breaks stuff way down to it's basic elements for all to see and explains how to hold the sticks, what motions to make....how to play, as well as instruction of what to play while learning. But man you have to start within your ability.

Ditch the clown and find a real teacher.

Agreed and dig the sass! Cant play fast til you develop the muscle memory. From my experience, that only comes from playing nice and slow and sometimes almost a bit exaggerated.

I didn't read the whole thread, but from your post, it sure sounds like you need another teacher. That person does not sound like a good teacher.

Have you found a new teacher yet?

A teacher should be a partner, facilitator, coach, booster... everything this guy so far is apparently not. Do yourself a favor.

So I've had about four or five drum lessons so far...

You probably should have not gone back after the first or second lesson.

It's not easy to find a great teacher, but you will find him/her eventually. If you can't find someone locally, consider doing Skype lessons with someone from afar. Most teachers will offer you an introductory lesson for free so you can see if it's a good fit.

Ideally, a good teacher will be able to analyze your playing and be able to pinpoint areas of weakness or things that you should be working on in order to improve your playing, control and creativity on the drums. Keep in mind that great players are not always great instructors.

Another thing to consider is attending one of those drum camps where you get to study with several different people over the course of two or three days. I know Thomas Lang offers them regularly, Benny Greb too, and then there's the Drum Fantasy Camp too.

Good luck.

Another +1 for finding another teacher. Sounds like the current one isn't going to work out (not sure their 'style' would work for most people!)

All the best

There're unfortunately lots of crappy teachers out there. Sorry you had to put up with that. Guy sounds like a dick. Find someone else.

I´m pretty sure you can´t read.

So if a guy goes to learn the drums, does not read, and someone is teaching him moeller and stuff like that, FROM MY POINT OF VIEW he doesn´t understand wich are the essential tools for drummers, specially to grow fast.

I know I just repeat myself, but is because the problem is always repeating...

This besides the rest of the story you describe (making examples too fast, etc...).

The point is that he should not make you learn that at all ....TO START.

Best regards!

Last edited:
So in essence...take your hard earned money elsewhere instead of being discouraged by a guy who probably forgot there were some hurdles for him to get over too.

Yeah. Reading as well as playing with others are the big two.

The rest is icing, sorta.

Of course. If that doesn't include general understanding of concepts and working on creativity there's a big hole. This is why school band is such a great format if done the right way, Sadly it's usually not.

Don't "Sack" the teacher ... put him on hold ... he's trying to teach you what theoretically is a good way to go working trough Stick Control and the applying it to the kit.

Go get yourself Tommy Igoe's Great Hands for A Lifetime and work through it religiously for a while following both the technique and the exercises and see if after that your speed has increased without "The Burn"

try another teacher in the interim .... see if you prefer them but also look at what they're teaching you .... it doesn't matter if it's totally different as long as you feel it may be improving your drumming.

When your technique has changed and hand speed has gone up without hurting maybe go back to the original guy ad see how you feel about it then, maybe his is a task master who's teaching you stuff that could really help your drumming over time.

Don't be intimidated by him either, he may think he calls the shots because he's a more experienced drummer but he doesn't ... you do because you're paying him so don't be scared to voice your concerns ....

that said with a comment like this
I just don't know what to do with you man, maybe you'll wow me one day and actually be able to do it.

The guy sounds like a right arrogant D*_k who's downright rude, if you go back for another lesson and he's the same ... drop his money on the floor, let him pick it up and tell him you've found another teacher that's absolutely wowed you and can actually teach so you won't be requiring his services any more :)

Another hit and run OP???

Sorry, pulled a long shift at work and haven't had a chance to update. I'm going to give him one more chance but if that doesn't work out, I'm going to have to do online lessons, since he's literally the only drum teacher in my area. My main concern is hand technique. I've heard great hands for a lifetime and Bill Bachman drum workout mentioned so far, along with Alexs lessons, so I'm trying to decide between those

My main concern is hand technique. I've heard great hands for a lifetime and Bill Bachman drum workout mentioned so far, along with Alexs lessons, so I'm trying to decide between those

This has generally always been my situation. It can still work out.

My goals may be little different since I already was a working educated teacher on other instrument and the main thing was to add drums my skillset as a teacher.

Looking for methodology I have most relevant boooks and DVDs. I've subscribed to several online things, but they tend to play out their role for me pretty fast.

Not having any good teachers around what I do is travel and then hire someone for one or two whole days for 4-5 hours or maybe just 1 or 2 hours with several teachers in the area. I usually make a whole thing of it visiting friends, going to shows, visiting my old schools etc...

This is of course not steady guidance, but it has given me a broad insight.

I've been at a few drum camps. Generally they've given me more ideas in regards to my own teaching than playing.

There are quite a few well known educators and players offering skype lessons these days.Might be worth looking into.

Bill has his site, but if you have real specific questions about technique, why not schedule a private skype lesson.

If you get a bit more specific sbout your level and experience as well as where you live, someone might be able to give you better suggestions.

I'm going to give him one more chance.................

I think that's fair enough.

I would mention your concerns to him though. No point continuing down the same old road without a discussion. Tell him you're struggling.......both with the physical aspect, as well as being able to see his 'end game'.

You never know, there may be some method to the madness that you're not seeing or that he simply hasn't explained well enough. Tell him what you've told us and see if anything changes.

Sorry, pulled a long shift at work and haven't had a chance to update. I'm going to give him one more chance but if that doesn't work out, I'm going to have to do online lessons, since he's literally the only drum teacher in my area. My main concern is hand technique. I've heard great hands for a lifetime and Bill Bachman drum workout mentioned so far, along with Alexs lessons, so I'm trying to decide between those

I would take a look a Joe Morello’s DVD too. And Jojo Mayer’s Secrets for the Modern Drummer. And Gordy Knudtson’s YouTube videos. Steal good ideas from everybody whose playing looks effortless and like they’re enjoying themselves.

As mentioned above, he’s not a good teacher and I suggest not going to him again.

If your main focus right now is hand technique, I highly recommend a Skype lesson with Dom Famularo. I work with him both in person and on Skype and we've gone through a lot of hand technique. It’s very important to work on grip and rebound first, before considering Moeller. He will also show you the real way to go through Stick Control.

Good luck, I bet with a good teacher you’ll really do well...

Back