Problems Only Drummers Understand

Yep. You nailed it !
Especially number 9. However, drums by design are a loud instrument. It's not easy to play them softly.

I played in churches for a few decades and over-tightening was always a problem.

Yep. You nailed it !
Especially number 9. However, drums by design are a loud instrument. It's not easy to play them softly.

ha thanks :D

yea there's a point where drums can't go much lower... it's an acoustic instrument working with energy and sound waves. It will always be loud...
An acoustic guitar is not loud just because it doesn't have enough energy turned into sound resonance. People has a hard time understand that lol.

That play softer one just kills me. I want to just walk off. We used to play small venues quite a bit. Our band played originals and we had a lot of chimes, blocks and other trinkets. I’d play with rods mostly, because brushes would do nothing on blocks. I’d always get the play softer, which I already was at my limit. Even the granite blocks were indistinguishable from each other. Instead of click clack clock, it was cl...cl...cl.

It got to the point that if it was a quiet venue, I either just played bongos and congas (quietly) or found a reason to be elsewhere. I eventually found elsewhere permanently.

I don’t mind carrying and loading up my own stuff. Actually prefer it. Somehow lamp posts, parking blocks, trees and just about everything else seems to get in everyone’s way when helping. It’s the only time anything has ever been damaged.

House kit, over tightening, memory locks...hmph... :(

Word! The houskits or any kits where use of the logo head as the batter gets me every time... with those ugly beater divots.
The stick repair was always my main concern going into the woodshed. Growing up we lived 60 miles from the nearest music store. I remember taping my sticks so much and using for extended times where the duct tape strings would be a sticky tethered mess. Needless to say, sticks last me a long time now.

Just watching this made me go into my breathing exercises. “The old drummer didn’t mind” in ref to broken throne, brass cymbals, no two sticks alike, trashed heads (one had a 3 inch tear in it!), clutch with missing parts, etc etc etc.

Breathe. . . .

Just watching this made me go into my breathing exercises. “The old drummer didn’t mind” in ref to broken throne, brass cymbals, no two sticks alike, trashed heads (one had a 3 inch tear in it!), clutch with missing parts, etc etc etc.

Breathe. . . .
The old drummer didn’t mind..? Oh man lol! I can’t believe it ???‍♀️ Doesn’t surprise me though...

Word! The houskits or any kits where use of the logo head as the batter gets me every time... with those ugly beater divots.
The stick repair was always my main concern going into the woodshed. Growing up we lived 60 miles from the nearest music store. I remember taping my sticks so much and using for extended times where the duct tape strings would be a sticky tethered mess. Needless to say, sticks last me a long time now.
Same here! When I was a teen I couldn’t afford to always buy my sticks so I had to tape them. I definitively recognize best them until you have to re tape them ?

You nailed it ! The one that irritates me because I stumble on this quite often : the over tightened hardware ! I still can get why some need a plier to tighten the wingnuts.

About the house kit.... What else : a hole in the bass drum head yes, but a big hole in the batter head, great idea ; the pedal that doesn't clamp on the hoop, the hi hat stand with no memlocks, and worn joint, with the upper tube going down inch by inch during the song...
This one is close : battered kit with 20 YO pinstripes and more gaffer than mylar on it. A pleasure to play.

You nailed it ! The one that irritates me because I stumble on this quite often : the over tightened hardware ! I still can get why some need a plier to tighten the wingnuts.

About the house kit.... What else : a hole in the bass drum head yes, but a big hole in the batter head, great idea ; the pedal that doesn't clamp on the hoop, the hi hat stand with no memlocks, and worn joint, with the upper tube going down inch by inch during the song...
This one is close : battered kit with 20 YO pinstripes and more gaffer than mylar on it. A pleasure to play.
Exactly! Lol

Back