Pro-Mark......Your Thoughts?

krautfox

I really like pro-mark sticks NOW - which is funny because OP think they've gone down hill.

My biggest problem with ProMark had always been that a majority of their sticks had the forward balance as a signature part of the Pro Mark feel and I never cared for that feel.
It is always a question of personal preferences and taste, because that's exactly what I've always loved about Promark and why I always feel at home with their sticks.

Ruok

Silver Member
I enjoy their tips the most as well; when recording, my sound engineer always prefers the promark tips for cymbal and drum sound. Like I said, they just feel and sound like a drum stick should feel, IMO.
Very interesting. I don't know if you've seen my thread on Promark sticks possibly generally having more "click" to their sound than other brands, which is what I'm after. After seeing this comment, I'd like to ask you what specifically is it about the tips that you and the sound engineer prefer. We sometimes hear things differently and want different qualities in a stick, as you know. Some want a more prominent drum/cymbal sound and others want it less prominent in the mix. Some want bright others darker, etc. I know it can be difficult describing sound. But what is it about the tips that you like?

krautfox

Very interesting. I don't know if you've seen my thread on Promark sticks possibly generally having more "click" to their sound than other brands, which is what I'm after. After seeing this comment, I'd like to ask you what specifically is it about the tips that you and the sound engineer prefer. We sometimes hear things differently and want different qualities in a stick, as you know. Some want a more prominent drum/cymbal sound and others want it less prominent in the mix. Some want bright others darker, etc. I know it can be difficult describing sound. But what is it about the tips that you like?
I just read it, and yeah, I agree to a certain extent. With my personal experience, I'm talking about the tips of the Elvin Jones' and Classic 7a's (they have the same tip), which I compared to the VF 7a's, 85a's, 8d's, Vater Manhattan 7a's and LA 5a's during a recording session.

It all depends what you define as "click"; if that just means better articulation, or if it means a brighter sound coming from the cymbal...? I generally find that promarks have a particular articulation that I enjoy: precise, "woody" sounding and yet mellow. It's a blend I find perfect. The VF 7a's and 8d's (same tip) just have the "ping", higher pitched, and don't bring out enough of the lows and complex overtones of my cymbals. Oddly enough, they aren't as articulate, especially with more complex and fast ride patterns. The tips of 85a's opened up the cymbals, but lost some articulation. As for the Vaters', they were just more mellow in general, which is great for recording softer acoustic music, but less so if you go for stronger dynamics while still wanting pronounced articulation.

Promarks just seem to open up my cymbals in the most beautiful ways while still retaining articulation, hence a "click", and my sound guy agrees when listening by ear-shot and after recording samples. Like someone said in your thread, this could be because of the front-heavy feel the classic promarks have, meaning a stronger shoulder and therefore more heft going into the cymbal. It's an interesting theory that I think has merit. I also believe that it has to do with general density of promark sticks compared to the Vaters' or Vic Firths', which references the moisture content that each brands decides to have. I don't have the exact numbers here (anyone feel free to correct me), but I think Vater are around 10-12% of moisture content in their dowels, whereas VF are around 8 or so, and I think Promark is sensibly the same, perhaps maybe less. That's why some sticks are heavier than others, and with the same exact model, with 2 different pairs, you won't get exactly the same sound.

I've also tried Rebound 7a's in acorn and teardrop tips compared to VF 8d's and Vater Sweet Rides, and they too had a mix of a "woody" articulation and mellowness. However, I felt they opened up my cymbals a lot less than my favored 7a's and Elvin Jones, which is why the "front-heavy" theory is pretty interesting. The Sweet Rides, I do love them; you can't get more precise articulation than a small round bead, and they too have a front-heavy feel because of the short taper.

I generally enjoy front-heavy sticks, like the classic Promarks, for those reasons. They seem to really bring out the beautiful overtones of my cymbals while retaining articulation. Back-heavy sticks, with long tapers, like most jazz sticks, I feel loose something, don't bring out enough of the overtones, so everything feels "lighter". But hey, I think it's more a question of technique too, just look at Roy Haynes or Art Blakey with their long tapered sticks :p ! And then there's Tony Williams with his hefty short-tapered 2b's !

Hope this (a bit too) long answer helps ! This is all just what my own ears hear; others might hear the opposite !

In my opinion Promark 5BS are one of the greatest sticks, The reliability and the durability on it is amazing!
The feel of them is extremely nice too!