Pro Drumtech needed for UK USA CAN tour

Matt B

Hi guys, my first post here is to find a PRO DRUMTECH.
I cant do part of the up comming tour of UK Canada & USA need somebody to cover for me
approx 6 weeks.
Will need a US work visa or be a resident US that can work legaly( tax stuff )
Must Be ProTools savy
Must have experience touring internationally.
Must not have any crim record (work visas wont get through if you do ).
Must be able to look after all aspect of a large touring kit & very demanding drummer.
This is a real opportunity to work with one of the worlds greatest modern drummers .
May need to be ready to travel to UK June 1 , finnish mid aug.
Send bios to [email protected]
Dont want to offend but no beginners this is high pressure stuff.

Cheers Matt

Wow , Come-on guys ! Thought there would be somebody interested in earning money & traveling.
Seems there is no TECHS?

OK here is a bit of eye candy it may get somebody interested.,

Attachments

• Rear view.jpg
    Rear view.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 2,916
Last edited:
Usually big famous bands on international tours dont post on public forums to find a drum tech, just saying youre not providing any details here that would make it worth someone dropping their personal/work life to head across the world.

how to respond to that comment????
It's not very cool to go name dropping ,
if somebody does this for a living & is looking for work this is an offer.
Most of the good guys we have delt with in the past are busy right now .If we were not stuck we would not need to go down this avenue.

Hey Pimento if you do know any touring crew guys could you please put them onto this as we are really stuck .
I guess it not the norm to go on a public forum but it happening this time for real!
Im happy to give details to anybody interested if they are interested.
I know at least one of our old techs is on this forum so it seemed like it was worth a shot.

Last edited:
i was just pointing out that not many people will jump on something like that without the details .etc. With all the spam and scams and junk running rampant on public forums it does seem like an odd first post for someone.

Everybody i know is currently employed, but i will keep an ear to the ground.

Thanks guys have tried those links, fingers crossed.
I understand people been careful about spam but with the confidentially agreements in place & the fact that a good percentage of dates are not yet publicly released I cant just give out details publicly.
As for dropping jobs & family , that is why we need a pro ( somebody who does this all the time). No issues regarding traveling or existing day jobs etc.
People who do this sort of work really only need to know dates ,equipment specs etc & of course pay. They can usually figure out if they are available from that.We can discuss what band it is with that particular person when we confirm availability _.
I do get that it is very soon but my wife needs to go into hospital this is why I cant do the whole run & also why we are trying any & every option.( sorry for the sob story but it is what it is)
Figured nobody knows a drummer like another drummer so as I said before it was worth a shot.
I can however assure you guys this is ligit & i will be a great "IN" for future work.

Pay me 100,000.00 U.S up front. I only take certified checks. I will be at the airport tomorrow. I forgot I'm booked with real gigs every weekend this summer. I could use a drum tech to shlep my gear every place and set it up. Seriously pay me 100K up front and I will be there. With a huge shortage and big demand for musicians I think thats a fair price for my service. I have to get up early and sell bridges. they are not selling.

Usually big famous bands on international tours dont post on public forums to find a drum tech, just saying youre not providing any details here that would make it worth someone dropping their personal/work life to head across the world.
Actually my friend Will has gotten 2 people tech gigs on the PDF as of late by posting them there. One was for Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Why would a drum tech have to know Pro Tools to set up tune and take down drums. I think its very interesting how you mentioned protools and in the picture you posted shows a P.C and not a Mac in which pro tools runs on.

Why would a drum tech have to know Pro Tools to set up tune and take down drums. I think its very interesting how you mentioned protools and in the picture you posted shows a P.C and not a Mac in which pro tools runs on.

That's a Mac. Mac keyboard, Mac Mouse. PC Screen.

Pro Tools runs on PC as well.

Just a little perspective for those who think being a tech is a paid vacation for a drummer.

It's paid, but it's hardly a vacation. You work, eat and live with the crew pretty much 24/7, so there's little time to sightsee, shop, relax by the pool, hang with the band, visit friends along the way, etc. Sleeping is usually done on the bus overnight as you travel to the next gig, and showers are taken at the venue. The crew doesn't get as many hotel stays as the 'talent', because they're always on the move. You start early, finish late, have to work and be diplomatic with the local crew, and be savvy in union house situations where the hardcore, old school union guys won't let you roll a case across the stage or plug in a fan. Not to mention that inexperienced crew people are quickly judged by other crew members, and are subject to being replaced.

Setup and teardown is obviously a big part of the job, but you need knowledge and skills beyond what most drummers need to know. There are repairs, and helpful hints that come with experience. I used to think I knew a lot about my gear, until techs (who specifically handle gear for a living) showed me things I never thought of. And depending on what the drummer wants, you may spend part of each day polishing cymbals, hardware, sanding/varnishing/wrapping sticks. Maybe you'll change heads daily, and need to know exactly how to tune the drums. And when replacement gear is needed, you also need to know who to contact at the various drum companies. Speaking of which, a good drum tech carries all of his own tools & parts. Sometimes you're also the drummer's personal whipping boy, psychologist, or confidante. And if you're required to fix an emergency during the show, all of a sudden it becomes your emergency and all eyes and ears are on you (refer to 'whipping boy' above.)

Teching can be very intense at times and takes a certain personality and discipline. It's work. Hard work. Sometimes thankless work. It's not a job for someone looking for a fast buck. It's a job for Pros, and just being a drummer with a passion to get into the business isn't good enough.

I am constantly asked by friends and strangers about teching for me, or if there are other jobs in the crew, and I explain it as I have above. And not one ever said "yeah, that still sounds good." Becoming a good tech is a process, starting with small bands and tours that don't have the demands of a major tour, or talking your way onto a local crew. With all due respect to those with sufficient ambition, there's no on the job training on a big tour, and newbies can't just jump in. Production managers wouldn't allow it anyway.

Honestly, even with 28 years as a touring drummer with a first-hand perspective, I don't think I'd last long as a tech. My hat's off to Matt and the others who do this for a living, and make my gig do-able.

Bermuda

Last edited:
That's a Mac. Mac keyboard, Mac Mouse. PC Screen.

Pro Tools runs on PC as well.

I must use my glasses, I missed that and you are correct about pro tools. Sorry for any miss information. The question still remains, what does knowing how to run pro tools have to do with Drum tech work. After setting up tuning ,cleaning,and making things perfect. other than setting up what ever inner face and trigger system, But thats the sound guys job.

The question still remains, what does knowing how to run pro tools have to do with Drum tech work.

The tech may be asked to make program changes during the show, and in case of a glitch, re-boot and load the proper files. The drummer can't be expected to do that while playing, nor is it really the sound guy's job anyway.

Bermuda

The tech may be asked to make program changes during the show, and in case of a glitch, re-boot and load the proper files. The drummer can't be expected to do that while playing, nor is it really the sound guy's job anyway.

Bermuda

I use my macbook with Digital Performer or Abelton for clicks and loops. I have not had any glitches yet, but I can understand were having the knowledge and knowing the program can be helpful. I learn something new everyday.

Computers and servers have become fairly necessary for touring acts, but there are pitfalls to the technology. A laptop onstage has to endure haze and drum riser vibrations can cause problems.

Bermuda

Wow this post came alive over night.
yesdog, its for 6 weeks not a year so..If I could pull that sort of money ( for 6 weeks ) I would fly my wife to me ,oh & the kids oh & the cat ,goldfish & 2 budgies, close the 2 other businesses & let every body have a nice holiday while a private nurse looks after my wife & a nanny looks after the kids.
I could just come & work for you, the pay rate seems more than reasonable!

bermuda is right on the money with his job description , Im now questioning my sanity .

protools has been in the keyboard domain for years but through those dark ages there has always been a few guys ( drummers ) running racks full samplers & hard drives for triggering individual sounds & sequencers ( see MPCs ) also triggering sounds that may have been taken from multi- tracks of the studio album to play FX ,string or brass or BV or percussion sections etc.
In our situation the drummer initiates the start of the song ( with click track running to him as a count in ) & the band is tied to that arrangment of the song.
So now it is in drum land alot of the time.

A drumtech is ideal for that position because the are onstage with the drummer during the show & alot of the time a drummer is the guy that starts a song ( or at least counts the band in ) .

in my situation I actually start the show from protools on stage then the band walks on
( see pressure !) from that point I advance tracks , stop tracks all while running a second computer in sync so that if the working rig " Falls Over" you as the tech have to be ready to deal with switching over computers, handing a towel to the drummer while helping him do a costume change in the dark with 4 or 5 other members ask (* sorry SCREAM!!) what the *%#! happened in the last song & you still have to get the drummer back on the kit with the next song loaded put a tambourine up on the kit for that 1 song bla bla & all of that happened in a 45 second period of the show while trying really hard not to break your leg as you dive behind the drum fill because the lighting guy has lit the drum kit up like a christmas tree for the start of the song.

Did I mention that you woke up at 5am in a different country went through customs in 2 countries.
set up a massive kit re-skined ,tuned ,polished ,fixed the stuff that got smashed to pieces in the last show or during shipping managed to have lunch for 7 minutes while sorting out crappy power that a new venue has so you can load up & test run a new version of the show ( that was sent to you via email from one of the band members while you were packing up the last show ,) then back it up to the spare computer which you have incase the main one dies. OH $%@# ! here comes the band for sound-check .

Starting to get the picture, ????
You either love it or you don't do this gig ,personally I thrive on the constant go go go of touring but I can assure you when you get home & see you family it all gets put in perspective .

bermuda totally gets it ,hats off to a pro drummer with a realistic perspective. I would work happily with/for you any day.

So with that sales pitch ....Does anybody want a gig for 6 weeks.

Did I mention that was 1 day in a 18month world tour ? On the bright side you only do 5 or 6 shows a week so you do get to sightsee in some pretty exotic places & eat of really strange food that you have no idea how to pronounce.

No really it is pretty fantastic , I still would do it over a regular day job every time.

Back