Pro Drum - Hollywood, CA.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Ill be out in LA from the 9th to the 14th.... actually going to try to stay an extra day to go to Bermudas clinic

some of us should meet up at Pro Drum and talk shop
Set up a date and a time - preferably early on a Sunday, and I just might make it out! There's a 7-11 next door a couple of doors down if anyone needs to have some kind of breakfast snack ;)

A

Anthony Amodeo

And for something a little more "substantial" ..... El Coyote Mexican Cafe. 7312 Beverly Blvd (from Pro Drum .... head south, then west) http://www.elcoyotecafe.com/ Excellent food .... and Margaritas !​
A guy sitting towards the center of the bar shouts "All drum shop owners are a______'s" ....​
...I resent that

why... are you a drum shop owner?

...no Im an a_____e!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
And for something a little more "substantial" ..... El Coyote Mexican Cafe. 7312 Beverly Blvd (from Pro Drum .... head south, then west) http://www.elcoyotecafe.com/ Excellent food .... and Margaritas !​
A guy sitting towards the center of the bar shouts "All drum shop owners are a______'s" ....​
I've always thought El Coyote was a bit over-rated as far as Mexican food goes.
At least compared to El Compadre (Hollywood), La Cabana (Venice area), or Casa Vega (Sherman Oaks area), or one of the hundreds of smaller places around town.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Ill be out in LA from the 9th to the 14th.... actually going to try to stay an extra day to go to Bermudas clinic

some of us should meet up at Pro Drum and talk shop
I'd love to turn up for that, but the drive's a tad arduous ;)

I wonder if they'd be interested in representing Guru? Sounds like the kind of shop we'd be interested in talking to :)

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Love Stand and Jerry, those guys are the best!
They take care of me real well anytime I stop in.
And the best part is convenience, I only live two blocks away :)

A

Anthony Amodeo

Love Stand and Jerry, those guys are the best!
They take care of me real well anytime I stop in.
And the best part is convenience, I only live two blocks away :)
you lucky dog

I would love to be able to walk down there everyday

when I lived in Venice in the mid 90s I would drive there at least 3 or 4 times a week and stare at this Burgundy sparkle 1967 Ludwig kit

about a month into my visits Stan said to me...either buy it or we have to cut the apron strings....we laughed....and I bought it the next day..hahahah

when I moved back east a couple years later I sold it back to them and I regret it to this day

I mentioned it to them on facebook recently and they remembered the kit and the situation

I told them if that kit every makes its way back to the shop make sure Im made aware of it

my goodness that thing was beautiful

22" kick 14" rack and two 16x16 floor toms, ride mount on the kick....oooooooph !!

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Very cool shop. But actually, the way they work in there, you might not think so upon arrival. They leave you alone and let you browse. It's definitely not like a GC or a Sam Ash where they're on top of you as soon as you come in the door. I remember it took me a while to get used to the fact that I wouldn't be there unless I knew what I wanted, so I basically had to tell them what I wanted rather than them selling me something. It's the epitome of a pro shop.

Of course, they'll help anyone who needs it and I've seen parents come in with general questions or somebody who just wanted help tuning a snare drum, and they're extremely helpful. But I'm sure there are generations of kids who only know how you're treated when you go to the big box music stores (like walking into a dealership to buy a car), so going to Pro Drum should a refreshing change of pace for alot of people.
I actually think about that place every day I go to work because I drive right through the East LA interchange twice a day. I knew a place very much like that place here in OC. I don't really like the GC selection lately. It's always the same boring crap, you know? I'm actually interested in getting another ride cymbal, so I just have to go by there one of these days.

Are they even open on Sunday? I've been to the website. I thought it was M-Sat, 9-5.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I've always thought El Coyote was a bit over-rated as far as Mexican food goes.
At least compared to El Compadre (Hollywood), La Cabana (Venice area), or Casa Vega (Sherman Oaks area), or one of the hundreds of smaller places around town.
I like going to Olivera Street right in Downtown. They have Mexican restaurants lined up in a row.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I actually think about that place every day I go to work because I drive right through the East LA interchange twice a day. I knew a place very much like that place here in OC. I don't really like the GC selection lately. It's always the same boring crap, you know? I'm actually interested in getting another ride cymbal, so I just have to go by there one of these days.

Are they even open on Sunday? I've been to the website. I thought it was M-Sat, 9-5.
I don't think they'll ever be open on a Sunday. That's nice and old-fashioned too.

harryconway

Platinum Member
No, they're not open Sundays. 6 days a week, and Stan and Jerry rotate who's on/who's off on Saturdays. Last Saturday, Stan worked, so this Saturday, Jerry should be there.​

criz p. critter

Silver Member
I've been going to Pro Drum for over 35 years. I was just there Friday. Simply the best drum shop in LA, and it always has been.

And a big +1 for Harry's recommendation of El Coyote. I've been going there just as long! And I was just there Friday also! In fact, I'm at El Coyote every Friday for lunch! If you tried EC before and thought the food wasn't quite up to speed, try it again. They have a bunch of new menu items (including a new guacamole) that are really tasty.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Yeah, let's face it .... there are plenty of good Mexican restaurants in LA. I go to whichever one I'm closest to, as my daily adventure unfolds. Today, for example, I'm probably gonna be in Highland Park .... and when I'm inb Highland Park, and I want Mexican, I go to Chico's .....​

Attachments

RogerLudwig

My first trip to PDS was in 1973 and my last was about a month ago. It remains simply the best. A close second (when it was still there) was Roy Harte's Drum City, right around the corner on Santa Monica Blvd, just east of Vine.

However, if we're going to meet for food, it's got to be Phillipe's on Alameda St. The home of the french dip sandwich.

A

Anthony Amodeo

My first trip to PDS was in 1973 and my last was about a month ago. It remains simply the best. A close second (when it was still there) was Roy Harte's Drum City, right around the corner on Santa Monica Blvd, just east of Vine.

However, if we're going to meet for food, it's got to be Phillipe's on Alameda St. The home of the french dip sandwich.
I vote Versailles on Venice Blvd.

my god do I miss that place!!!!!