Prince has died

Destroyer772

Gold Member
He was one of the most talented artist to ever hit the stage, there was not an instrument this man could not play. I have seen him run thru a drum kit on some of his performances and you would have thought he belonged there.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Good grief-he was like in his late 50's wasn't he? That's really surprising-he looked so young and healthy. Much sadness and my sympathies to his family and loved ones. Shows you just how fragile life really is.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I saw a few days ago that he had gone to the hospital but that article seemed to think he was OK. Sorry for the loss.

KamaK

Platinum Member
A phenomenal talent. He was a criminally underrated guitarist and quite possibly the best pop composer of the 80's. Sad. I loved his live performances.

I know what I'll be listening to for the rest of the week...

Mount Saint Elle'ns

Silver Member
He was one of my favorite artists growing up. I saw him play live, on his Purple Rain tour in '85, and he was amazing. Great performer, and so talented.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I think the way he used the full range of his voice on the song Kiss was just amazing. Sorry for for your loss if you were a Prince fan.

calan

Silver Member
I have mixed feelings about his catalog, but he is absolutely one of the greatest live performers there was or will be. Singularly talented, magnetic, and captivating.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I wasn't a huge fan, but I love the movie and album Purple Rain.

Very sad news. And very shocking, as it seems to have come out of nowhere.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Piecing together what I heard a few days ago about him being ill, It seems that he got ill on a flight that had to make an emergency landing to get him to a hospital, where he was treated for a reaction to opiates. He was hospitalized, requested a private room, one wasn't available (?) so he and his handlers signed him out of the hospital. He probably shouldn't have left as it turns out. Time will tell.

Last edited:

8Mile

Platinum Member
He was a genius. In the real sense of that overused word.

My first part-time job after I graduated high school was at this little store that was half video rental, half Hallmark greeting cards. Yes, an unlikely business model, but it worked back in the 80s to the tune of a successful three-store chain in the metro-Detroit area.

We rented lots of VHS and Beta tapes, but sales were few and far between. A new VHS tape retailed for $60–$90 back then. You could purchase used tapes and we discounted them based on how many times we had rented them. We kept track of all this on Rolodex cards. Did I mention this was back in the 80s?

Well, Purple Rain was the biggest thing in the world at the time, and the movie was about to be released on video. For the first time, they were setting the MSRP for new copies at a very reasonable $29.95. There was a huge promotion to sell advance copies of Purple Rain and my store had a sales contest. The winner pocketed a cool $10. Or maybe it was $20. I forget.

Anyway, I'm about as qualified to be a salesman as I am to be an underwear model, but I really wanted that bonus. So I pimped it to every customer and I outdistanced all my rivals to win the contest. After that promotion, it seems like all the new video tapes were set to lower retail prices. So that was a significant moment in the industry where they realized there was a market to get people to buy them instead of just rent them, as long as they priced them affordably.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm gonna miss Prince. And man, I feel really old.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
And man, I feel really old.
Oh yes, one's own mortality being brought into focus ever more frequently, especially this year - DAMMIT!

I was more an admirer of Prince's stuff than a fan. No doubting his talent across such a breadth of skill sets.

Derek

Silver Member
an absolute phenom and one of the greatest to ever do it

not to mention one of the best guitar players ever ... and could slay basically any other instrument as well

legend has it that Eric Clapton was asked
"what's it like to be the greatest guitar player alive ?"
to which Slowhand replied .. " go ask Prince"

rest easy Prince

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y&t=3m25s

Thanks for sharing that link Ants. I saw Prince at the Forum in 1985; incredible show. Shame on me, age and memory lapse, I forgot he was THAT good of a guitarist.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Oh yes, one's own mortality being brought into focus ever more frequently, especially this year - DAMMIT!

I was more an admirer of Prince's stuff than a fan. No doubting his talent across such a breadth of skill sets.
Your FU band does a version of Purple Rain, don't you?