Premier XPK

Peedy

I own a 4-pc XPK made in 1990 and I’m quite fond of it. To be fair, that one was made after a couple of ownership changes. I not even sure where it’s made. If it’s made in the UK, I’d check it out.

Pete

Peedy

I’d call it a fair price for sure. What would a comparable US, German etc made kit cost? A whole lot more. The discount is coming from the fact that Premier doesn’t have the cache it once did, not because the they don’t make quality gear.

Pete

Woolwich

Silver Member
It’s definitely a UK made kit, at that price I’d snap it up. Finding that kit in the UK at £279.99 as opposed to $279.99 I’d still snap it up.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Probably 1998 - small lugs, rims mounts. I have the same kit from 1997 - still my main gigging kit. Birch-eucalyptus-birch shells. Great ‘modern’ sound, deep, punchy birch tone. Better shells than the exports and stage customs from that era.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I must add - these lugs are prone to bending and stripping threads. I’ve had to replace a couple on my snare. The toms and bass have been OK.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
js21Apost: 1661999 said:
^^^^ Where did you get the replacement lugs, I have an early 90's XPK snare with some damaged lugs
A shop in England had them - needed two, bought four and had them sent to Australia. A bit pricey, but saved my snare drum.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
These are good drums with horrible resale value. I've never played a Premier snare that I've liked, and that rack tom is a little too deep for my liking. UK-made are the best in the Premier line, but buy them to play, not to flip and try to make anything on them. That's a very fair price on them, but you'll never sell them for more than that if you choose to sell them yourself at some point.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I have an outstanding English-made Premier XPK kit. If the XPK you are looking at is made in England then it's worth a look.

British-made kits and snares have good resale value. They're not appreciating, but not losing value. If you turn them in a year you'd get your money back.

I didn't buy the matching snare because I like snares with built-in mufflers. The snare in pics is a somewhat rare Premier HiFi 10 lug aluminum snare, which is comparable to a Ludwig Acro or Supra. It's for sale right now on Reverb. I like it a lot and have gigged with it, but I'm not really a collector and I already have a perfectly nice Acro.

My XPK kit sounds great, and I'm very picky. The hardware is first-rate. Shells are gorgeous and beautifully made. This kit is so nice, I just use it for practice. I generally gig with a Ludwig Classic Maple.Premier.JPGPremier2.JPGPremier3.JPGPremier4.JPGPremier5.JPG

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I agree with the others - that's a very good price for such a nice kit. And, it's quite pretty, too, with the gold lugs on black. Very nice.

GeeDeeEmm

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
If in excellent condition AND made in England then it's a great deal. A steal. If condition is just so-so then it's a good price if made in UK. If not British made then I'd pass no matter the condition.

moxman

Silver Member
I have a set of early 90's XPKs / birch shells. Great sounding kit. I use it in one of my band practice spaces.. only because the hardware is not my 'go to' for gigging. It's a bit creaky and slower to setup/tear down than say Yamaha, Mapex, Sonor or other more modern kits - which are a breeze.