Premier New Classic Birch

bradmapex

Has anyone ever played one of these? I saw the 12x7.5 at my local shop, but only had time to tap on it with my hand. But it had a 700+ price tag on it, any one know why? It looked nice though, solidly built and had a Dunnet throw. Thanks in advance
b r a d .

sqadan

I own a New Classic with the Gen-X shell (Maple / Birch Hybrid) and I love it. Mine is 7x14.

Not sure why it would listed at $700 though... I think I paid between $300 / $400 for mine.

They are great drums - so if you can get it for a better price - I would go for it,

bradmapex

maybe i looked at the price wrong, so i'll have to check that again when i go shopping for a snare. What kind of sound does it have, a nice crack, or a deep pop or what? Thanks
b r a d .

sqadan

It's a fairly thin shell for a snare - lots of resonance... It has a great woody pop - perfect for fat backbeats.

bradmapex

So I visited the shop today, and the price is 527$ Canadian. And i actually played with it for a little, just some rolls, and some dynamics. I like the pop it had to it, but i was wondering if a snare with that much of a pop could be versatile, enough to play different genres. Incase i ever needed to play jazz, or latin, or funk in a show. And i was also wondering if it could be used as a main snare? Or is it just up to my tatse of sound? Thanks, b r a d .

sqadan

I think 12" is a little undersized to be used as a main snare... You are unlikely to ever get any really fat back-beats out of it... I tend to shy away from smaller diameter snares unless used for auxiliary purposes.

Also - the price they have that drum marked at is ridiculous. $527 CAD comes to about $500 US... probably at least $200 to high.... especially if its used. They are nice drums... but not that nice.

drumhammerer

Silver Member
Does Chris Adler not use a 12x5 as his main snare? or am i wrong?
yep, actually 5.5 X 12. This size would work great for metal or funk/rap, but for versatility I would go with a 14". 12" snares are fun to play, but the rim clicks stink, and they don't fit too well on standard snare stands without having to have the stand too high. Rim shots are the best I've heard, though.

bradmapex

yep, actually 5.5 X 12. This size would work great for metal or funk/rap, but for versatility I would go with a 14". 12" snares are fun to play, but the rim clicks stink, and they don't fit too well on standard snare stands without having to have the stand too high. Rim shots are the best I've heard, though.
Even tho i play rock mostly, i like that nice tight hip hop feel to a snare, and i guess i could just throw a wood block on it for the cross stick(rim clicks), and tht would make it look even sicker ahah. ya and id have to find away around the stand, since i likemy snare low. Thanks
b r a d .