Premier Artist Club Kit Silver Sparkle - Yellowing

Robzildjian

As you have seen from my other thread on head choice I have picked up one of the kits mentioned above. It is a lovely little kit but the lacquer has yellowed over the silver sparkle. Is there anything that can be done to improve this and bring back the beautiful silver sparkle. I suspect not but advice appreciated.

Attachments

NouveauCliche

As you have seen from my other thread on head choice I have picked up one of the kits mentioned above. It is a lovely little kit but the lacquer has yellowed over the silver sparkle. Is there anything that can be done to improve this and bring back the beautiful silver sparkle. I suspect not but advice appreciated.
That's a really cool kit.

I saw a really cool little hack on another thread for this stuff called Retrobright which people use to restore yellowing plastics.

Apparently it's a thing you can make - or you can buy pre-made toner from a beauty supply place to get the same result.

@larryace was the person that dropped this neat hack - but check out that thread above.

Attachments

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
In all honesty, I think the color looks really cool with the yellowing. It's not ugly like yellowed wrap at all.

Please dont put retrobrite on lacquer. It's for plastic. You might ruin the drums.

NouveauCliche

In all honesty, I think the color looks really cool with the yellowing. It's not ugly like yellowed wrap at all.

Please dont put retrobrite on lacquer. It's for plastic. You might ruin the drums.
He's probably totally right - I have ZERO actually working knowledge of doing this. My very first exposure ever to this was in the above thread.

Plus he's right - it looks like a champagne sparkle which is really cool - assuming it's even, etc.

Yamaha Rider

You say "lacquer" - but is it?
Could it actually be a plastic wrap?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It’s wrap actually not lacquer.
Well then, Retrobrite might work. We know it works with white/WMP. I have no idea what it will do to a color. It also might not work. And it might also ruin a color. I dont think anyone has tried it here on anything other than white/WMP.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Also, I tried retr0bright on sun yellowed lacquered drums with zero success. No damage at all, but no unyellowing either. A clear poly...I don't know

It only works on certain plastics. Any wrap after about 1960 should be safe. Earlier wraps were a different composition supposedly.