Preferred rack tom sizes

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I guess we're not getting any 12/13 love here. I blame Steve Gadd for getting everyone on this kick that you must have a two inch interval between drums for them to sound different. Fact is, if you know how to tune, you can make it happen. We've been doing it long before Yamaha marketed the 10/12/14 interval to us. And everyone seems to forget that in the beginning, Steve's floor toms were only one-inch apart - he originally used a 10x14 and a 12x15 tom hanging from one stand.

If you're really stuck on the idea that you need the big separation, why not go 10/13/16? Then you have a three-inch difference! Of course, if you wanted an extra tom, you'd need a 19" floor tom, and a 7" rack tom.

At one show I played in college, I used an 8/12/16 set-up. FOUR inches between! Comical!
Steve Gadd uses 12 and 13 racks ! Traditional size and suspended 14 and 16.
We may thank Gadd for the suspended floor toms idea, but the 10/12 up are more a Weckl thing.

I guess I'll be repeating myself here, but the volume is important. 10x7 is really small, too short note to my taste : I play 10 & 12 racks in power size and it's OK (10x9, 12x10). The 10x9 can go low enough and sustain long enough. That being said, unmicked, like Larry, I favour the 12 and 13 racks : Ok they sound close when you play in a row, but this isn't what I do the most, the important thing is to have a good sounding tom right in front of me.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Steve Gadd uses 12 and 13 racks ! Traditional size and suspended 14 and 16.
We may thank Gadd for the suspended floor toms idea, but the 10/12 up are more a Weckl thing.

I guess I'll be repeating myself here, but the volume is important. 10x7 is really small, too short note to my taste : I play 10 & 12 racks in power size and it's OK (10x9, 12x10). The 10x9 can go low enough and sustain long enough. That being said, unmicked, like Larry, I favour the 12 and 13 racks : Ok they sound close when you play in a row, but this isn't what I do the most, the important thing is to have a good sounding tom right in front of me.
I see. He’s come back to 12/13. But if you’ve followed him from the late 70s to 00s, he was using 10/12. Weckls thing in the 80s was the use of 8/10. I’ve met quite a number of Weckl clones in.l my college days too.

V-Four

Personally, I like the 10/12 spread that's popular these days. Kinda funny when I look back at the Ludwig "Rocker II" 7pc set (I mean "Outfit")that I got back in the late 80's. (1 kick, kinda the opposite of my dream kit, which woulda been 2 kicks, 2 mounted toms, 2 floors- hey, it was the 80's remember..)

Anyway, that Ludwig had 4 toms, at 1 inch intervals 12,13,14,15 and a 16 floor tom! check it:

Rockr II.jpg

Hey, now that I'm looking at the list..I never got my "1 Pair Drumsticks" as mentioned..

Look at those friggin toms! Don't let the photo fool ya, you HAD to angle them like Lars.
Dang I miss the 80's.

T.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Personally, I like the 10/12 spread that's popular these days. Kinda funny when I look back at the Ludwig "Rocker II" 7pc set (I mean "Outfit")that I got back in the late 80's. (1 kick, kinda the opposite of my dream kit, which woulda been 2 kicks, 2 mounted toms, 2 floors- hey, it was the 80's remember..)

Anyway, that Ludwig had 4 toms, at 1 inch intervals 12,13,14,15 and a 16 floor tom! check it:

View attachment 87530

Hey, now that I'm looking at the list..I never got my "1 Pair Drumsticks" as mentioned..

Look at those friggin toms! Don't let the photo fool ya, you HAD to angle them like Lars.
Dang I miss the 80's.

T.
Back then one-inch was ok. And music was still being made! Incredible! 😂😂😂😂

scottser

With a 20 kick, I love 10,12,14,16 as others have stated.
With a 22 kick, 10,12,13,16. The interval between 13 and 16 is wonderful IMO and doesn't get enough love.
With a 24 kick, either 13.16,18 or 12,15,18. Either way, happy hunting

Tamaefx

Silver Member
10 12 13 16 is indeed my favourite configuration. With that type of configuration, I keep a nice round tom in front (12”) and a real floor tom on my right (16”). My lack of abilities made me realised that playing with 14 / 16 floor tom, I tend to play far less the 16”.

The Ludwig kit 12 13 14 15 16 power toms above must have been very difficult to play and to tune !!!!