Preferred Headworn Mic for Singing Drummers

rebonn

I currently use a Telefunken M-81 SH (the compact short version) and was wondering about the quality of the headworn mics sound compared to handheld ones aside from not being able to back off the mic. I was considering the AKG C-520. Thoughts would be appreciated on the different headworn mics you've used for quality of sound.

Last edited:
I've used an earlier version of the 520 head set mic a couple decades ago. Great mic, sounds really good. The 520 looks to be a better design from the one I was using, lightweight and it never bothered me when I had it on. Only potential issue is drums bleeding through it, but I never had that much of a problem with that.

In the 90's I had an Audio Technical ATM73a.
Comfortable, lightweight, good sound.
Built a mute pedal so I could cough or count in songs or yell at the guitarist.

These days I just have a 58 or similar above my left shoulder and turn towards it when I'm singing.

If you want one that will not pickup the drums, a Crown 311a is the only way to go. If you are micing your drum kit leakage from your vocal mic will steal punch from your drum mix.

I tried the AKG C520 - very good headmic. But lately I've been using the Shure WM80 (?) which is a dynamic mic and actually sounds quite good and is a lot cheaper. One thing you should budget for is a mute switch so you can mute the mic whenever you cough or when you're not singing. I use the ProCo PowerMute (which you need if the headset is a condenser) and leave it next to my hi-hat pedal so I can switch the mic on and off before it goes to the console.

But if I have space and time, I always opt for a mounted Share Beta 56A mic.

It seems many go back to the mounted mic after the headworn, I guess because of logistics rather than sound quality. I'm looking hard at the AKG C520 though.

It seems many go back to the mounted mic after the headworn, I guess because of logistics rather than sound quality. I'm looking hard at the AKG C520 though.

Actually, I prefer an actual mic because of sound quality and positioning. The larger diaphragm of the larger microphone does a great job helping with my low end. As a kid I learned how to "back off" and "eat" mics when I needed to to work with the system. When you have a headworn mic, it's difficult to do any of that vocal technique stuff when the headset keeps the mic in the same place the whole time. Which meant (for me) that my vocal volume technique had to be spot-on (and it just isn't). Add to that that I need a mute switch as well..... well, now I'm carrying around just as much stuff as I would if I just had a single boom mic stand and a Shure SM58 as the mic.

I suppose it's nice to have the options, though. But one is easier to work with for me.

Back