Practise room - help!

DrummerJof

Long time drummer but i've never really had to dabble in the electronic side of things.

Long and short is that I want to improve my home practise side of things but i'm not sure really what I need.

I'd to play along to tunes (mostly like from spotify) with a powerful amp that I'm not playing over the top of (unlike my current sonos setup).

I'd like to be able to source a metronome to play along to and further down the line i'd like to mic the kit.

So what do I need?

Do I want a monitor or a PA amp?
Presumably I need some kind of mixer? Where do I start?
How do I source the metronome and music source? Presumably from a laptop?
What about cables? what else am I missing?

organworthyplayer337

1. Audio Interface or Mixer with enough inputs for your mic set up, and a couple playback devices (about 12 mic/line inputs [8 drum mics + 2 stereo device signals] for a full set up, but you could get away with just 8 inputs, depending on what you are really looking for). You would use the interface's single headphone output to monitor all your mics and devices

2. I'd get some in-ear monitors instead of headphones (protect your hearing!)

3. For sourcing the metronome, if you have a cellphone, look on the app store for a metronome app. If you have an iPhone, I really like the MetroTimer one.

4. I'll be more than happy to help you figure out which cables you'll need (to the best of my ability) if you still need the assistance. This thread is a little old

fierylungs

I'd to play along to tunes (mostly like from spotify) with a powerful amp that I'm not playing over the top of (unlike my current sonos setup).

I'd like to be able to source a metronome to play along to and further down the line i'd like to mic the kit.

So what do I need?

You have two different goals. One is hearing a sound over your drumset, the other is recording the sound of your drumset.

The first goal is easy. Get a set of entry level IEMs and get used to them. I stopped using onstage monitors years ago and love the reduction in stage volume. I've also found that (for monitoring/reference purposes) the in-ear volume doesn't have to be loud at all. You might want to get a simple headphone amp for them just to have a fast and convenient volume knob. If you're like me though, you might want a set of the directsound headphones. They're comfortable, quick to put on and take off, sound pretty good, and EVERY PART is replaceable for a reasonable price (not that mine have broken.)

For recording your kit, there's a whole range of ways to do that from a humble Yamaha EAD10, a Zoom h4n in 4 track mode as an overhead mic with a kick/snare mic on ch 3/4, a zoom livetrak, or an audio interface (incl daw and sufficiently fast computer). The last two options will need piles of cables, mics, stands, clips, etc. You can buy all that piece meal and some of it will hold some value. You might want to learn to solder...

TBH, before I can really recommend anything for recording your kit, I would need to know more about your room. The order of importance for a good recording is usually stated as; Player, Instrument, Room, THEN Gear and (having piles of cables, mics, shockmounts, clips, adapters, etc) I have to agree.

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
If you just want to play along with stuff cheap and easy then get a pair of vic firth practice headphones, connect them to your phone and get busy.

If the drums are too loud for that then you can either muffle the drums a bit or amplify the signal with a behringer mixer (like 60 bucks).

Recording is another thing but this will get you started.

Good luck.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
You can get away with very little.

I have more channels, but for practice I just use BD + OHs most of the time.

If you have an iPad you can probably get most of all the things you want to play to from that. I use Spotify(combine Amazing Slowdowner with that), DrumJam and Pro Metronome.

Unless it's all soft jazz I'd go with headphones for anything but pad work.

I use phones even when using the pad I just switch to more regular open ones.