Practice Pads

diyatailr

has anyone thought about phone case practice pads?
ive seen all the leg pads and was wondering how a drum pad on a phone case would work??
of course the risk of hitting a the back camera is obvious but other than that i dont see any other major problem with it?
any other opinions before i start making a few??

Repeatedly striking your phone, huh? What could go wrong?

Phones are actually fairly resistant to being jarred/shaken. It’s the single point strikes that cause cracked screens. Hitting the camera lens is definitely something I’d be concerned about, though.
Why not just air drum and/or drum on your thigh, instead? Or carry a small hand towel around, and fold it up to use as a pad.

hmmm...I think that the prospect of the phone bouncing off of my knee after the first hit, and then fighting that the whole time would be the worst part of it...

speaking of knee pads, do they still make that old circular pad with the velcro strap that strapped to your leg. It was about 6" round, and had the yellow gum rubber on it...I miss that pad more than any othr from back in my younger days. I forget who made that...

It’s the single point strikes that cause cracked screens.

So at 100bpm, 32nd notes = 800 single point strikes per minute.

I don't think I'll take that chance.

If I throw a stick on the ground with maximum force it doesn't break. If I throw my phone on the ground with maximum force I will need a new phone.

I can bounce a golf ball off a drum head repeatedly. I can crack my phone case with a golf ball.

A practice pad is meant to be hit. Dropping a phone can be fatal.

Go get your moms favorite spaghetti pot. Turn it upside down and beat it with drumsticks for an hour. Now hide the drumsticks before she beats you with them for an hour. Hide behind your phone for protection.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea?

do they still make that old circular pad with the velcro strap that strapped to your leg. It was about 6" round, and had the yellow gum rubber on it...I miss that pad more than any othr from back in my younger days. I forget who made that...
Meinl and Gibraltar make pads like that, both are 4" I think. I prefer the Meinl, the Gibraltar is pretty noisy.

So at 100bpm, 32nd notes = 800 single point strikes per minute.

I don't think I'll take that chance.

If I throw a stick on the ground with maximum force it doesn't break. If I throw my phone on the ground with maximum force I will need a new phone.

I can bounce a golf ball off a drum head repeatedly. I can crack my phone case with a golf ball.

A practice pad is meant to be hit. Dropping a phone can be fatal.

Go get your moms favorite spaghetti pot. Turn it upside down and beat it with drumsticks for an hour. Now hide the drumsticks before she beats you with them for an hour. Hide behind your phone for protection.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea?

Have you never used an Otterbox case? A Lifeproof case?

Have you never used an Otterbox case? A Lifeproof case?

No sir I have not. I have cracked/broken cymbals with sticks though, as well as warped/bent snare hoops with sticks. I just don't see a phone case being able to put up with that kind of force repeatedly. If it can, and there is, they need to start making cars and other destructibles out of that material. I'd try one, just not with my own phone!

No sir I have not. I have cracked/broken cymbals with sticks though, as well as warped/bent snare hoops with sticks. I just don't see a phone case being able to put up with that kind of force repeatedly. If it can, and there is, they need to start making cars and other destructibles out of that material. I'd try one, just not with my own phone!

I only use Otterbox Defender cases b/c of my job, and I still don't think they would survive the constant hitting that practice would bring on. And iI had my iPhone survive a lawn mower incident when it fell off the golf cart at school on the way in from band practice a few years back...I had to get a new case, but the phone was fine...

Why not spend 15 to 60 bucks on a pad instead of possibly ruining a 500 to 1000 phone. Makes no sense at all.

Back