Practice pad to Drum set

bradmapex

the thing is i am having some trouble here. My chops are doing good on the practice pad, whenever i hav problem with a fast fill i just bring it there n paly it out. But then i cant seem to transfer it the drum set. I am just not as precise and it isn't sounding as good. Do you guys know anything that will help, or have any tips or tricks? Thanks
b r a d .

RhythmDrums

This is probably because a practice pad gives alot of rebound while your toms probably give alot less. What you could try to do is practice on pillows.

RollingStone000

Silver Member
I'd have to agree, use a pillow or fold up a towel a couple of times and put it on the practice pad. Try and play on as many different surfaces as possible. I recall one of the guys at GC telling me about a lesson from mikelessons.com where you put a magazine (or something solid with little rebound) on your floor tom play singles on your snare then move over to the floor tom and back and so on.

You also may want to adjust your tuning (in particular your resos). I've read that having your resos tuned a certain way can add or reduce rebound, maybe someone else can elaborate on that.

bradmapex

i do play on a pillow as well, but then when i do tht i am use to less rebound, and then the drum gives me more. so i need somthing in the middle i guess

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Brad, I notice you said "practice pad", as in one pad, not a practice kit. Big difference.

You are playing on a poor substitute of a single, real instrument. So when you get on a kit you not only have to be more careful of your dynamics to keep the noise down but also have the distraction of hearing the sound AND having this palette of potential sounds around you - other drums, cymbals- plus the challenge of coordination.

Further, to play on a drum kit means transporting the patterns you can execute on a single pad to a range of instruments (a drum is is a collection of instruments, not one instrument). This involves lateral movements you have not pracised on the pad so you can expect this to affect your performance.

Agree with the bounce issue too. Even drummers who practice on e-kits say it can be weird moving from e-kit to acoustic kit and vice versa.

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
If I may, I'd like to just throw in the fact that my P4 Practice Pad, DOES all those things a regular pad does not, like multie surface levels, feels and sounds that emulate the rebounds of the floor, snare, and ride as well..

Of course nothing beats the real thing, but it does make it a bit more realistic than a standard pad.

Here's a video clip

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/ludwigtv/player.php?url=p4pad.flv

Good Luck!

jivadayadasa

If you are having trouble on the kit, then you need to spend time on the kit. Not trying to be rude but, did someone suggest playing on a pillow to feel better on the drums? What will help most is playing your drums. Pads are great for all sorts of reasons but that's not your instrument. If you only have a limited time to play each day and it won't bother people around you (noise), get behind those drums!

kettles

Gold Member
I'm in the same boat - I could play well on the pad but moving to a snare proved a huge leap in difficulty. From now on I practice rudiments and anything else dependent on sound or feel on my snare drum.

I still use a pad for endurance exercises, stroke, etc

Spinozalove

I practice on a pad a lot, rudiments and stick control, etc. It is important for me because I can get a lot more practice in than I would otherwise be able to. It is not, however, a replacement for the kit. I try and practice on my kit as much as I possibly can without annoying my house mates. For me, the pad is not a replacement for the kit. It is in addition to the kit.

It might be worth trying drum mutes. I don't know how well they work in terms of silencing the drums, or what the rebound is like, but it might be worth looking into as an alternative to the pad. Does anybody use/know about these?