Practice Pad for Rim Shots

TMe

Can anyone recommend a good practice pad for working on rim shots? I don't want to spend an hour at a time banging out rim shots on my snare drum. I think I'd drive myself and my neighbours nuts. Of course, there won't be any "silent" solution, but something quieter than an actual snare drum would be nice.

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
You have the Sabian QT-10SD Practice Pad (the old "Quiet Tone"), that is exactly like a drum, it will damage less the drumsticks than the Remo, since the rim is rounder, it comes in different sizes.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
The problem with practicing rim shots on a practice pad, is that you never hear if they are really ok..

There are a lot of ways to play a rim shot, with each a lot of differences in sound, but those will never be heard on a practice pad..

On a practice pad you only hear if the one rim shot is kinda equal to the other, which (when moving to a snare drum) is not saying that much..

NickCesarz

If you're looking for a practice pad with a rim, I like the new pads from Movement Drum Co. They're pretty loud, though.