Practice of drum rudiments

richpdrummer

'Metric Scales' in drumming is a term used for a complete mixture of rudiments practiced over a set time. I am right in my thinking here ? I would love to know anyones thoughts on this.

Last edited:
A

Anthony Amodeo

never heard the term used for rudiments

to me it would take on more of a subdividing a rhythm or pattern meaning .....or metrically modulating a rhythm

still never heard the term used in a drumming context

I have heard of the architects drafting tool though

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Yeah, I've never heard of this phrase either. Could you elaborate a bit more about what it is and where you got your info from?

richpdrummer

Yeah, I've never heard of this phrase either. Could you elaborate a bit more about what it is and where you got your info from? Well it was an artical in Drummer mag. A he used this for a warm up befor doing gigs

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Yeah, I've never heard of this phrase either. Could you elaborate a bit more about what it is and where you got your info from? Well it was an artical in Drummer mag. A he used this for a warm up befor doing gigs
Don't like details much do you? :)

How about telling us a little more mate? Who said it? In what context was it said? Are you able to link us or quote the text as it was originally presented?

richpdrummer

Don't like details much do you? :)

How about telling us a little more mate? Who said it? In what context was it said? Are you able to link us or quote the text as it was originally presented?
I think it is a number of rudiments practiced in a set mix each time so you always remember the idividual rudiments used. Thanks anyway

BillBachman

Gold Member
I'd assume it's a "scale comprised of different meters, or metric rates." Like:

whole note
half notes
half note triplet
quarter notes
quarter note triplets
eighth notes
eighth note triplets
16th notes
quintuplets