Powerball Lottery and Drumming Goodies!

Smoke

Silver Member
The Powerball lottery here in the US is up to 1.2 Billion USD (596 Million USD for a single payout). I bought 5 tickets. I figure my chances are pretty good. At least 5 times better than if I had only bought one!

I was thinking what my first real expenditure would be and decided on a pair of custom drum sticks and some of those Tama Quick-Set Cymbal mate "wingnuts." I've only got one, and I really like it.

Then, I'd probably buy Bora-Bora and host a week long, all expense paid meet-and-greet for all the DW members and one guest. We'd all wear little name tags with our screen name and avatar. No excommunicated members unless the mods all decided to include a couple.

Yeah, that's what I'd do! What would you do with 1.2 Billion USD?

Smoke

Silver Member
I retired in 2021, so quitting my job would be a moot point. But, I'm still working for Mrs Smoke - there could be a hundred ways to read into that, but we've been married since 1980, so I'll stick with this boss! I don't think I could train another! ;)

robthetimekeeper

I would blow a big chunk of it to have Weezer play at my birthday party.

GretschedHive

Gold Member
One of the first things I would do is go to my local drum shop and say “I want one of each professional-level cymbal made by Meinl, Paiste, Sabian and Zildjian, please and thank you—each size, each weight, each finish. Oh, and you should probably give me a bunch of cymbal stands from your two or three favorite manufacturers. I’ll be back next week to buy some snare drums.”

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
as I always say in these threads:
I would invest 90% of my earnings so that I would never have to worry about where money is coming from;
I would set up an endowment for the music programs in Columbus Public Schools so that each school could have a vibrant music program
I would make sure all relatives also are financially set for life
I would buy 100 or so acres on Lake Huron, Michigan or Superior to build a retirement compound
- the only drum items I really would add to what I already have would be a Ray era Ayotte rock maple 6 piece kit, but there would be a hella practice studio as part of the garage-ma-hall on the compound; ad I could probably justify finally getting that 20" Zildjian K Custom ride I have always wanted

ad my wife just said "get some new socks for Christ sakes"....

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I would buy my parents a house. I would buy my siblings and their families homes also.

I would give each of them $10M in an account to live off of however they wanted.

I want a Ferrari and a Rolex. That's it. I have no big lottery dreams.

I dont play the lottery unless it gets over a billion. Guess I better get some tickets.

Smoke

Silver Member
Looks like there was no jackpot winner, so it rolled over again - 1.5 B-b-b-billion USD. I didn't check my numbers - waiting for Mrs Smoke to wake up. There were twelve $1 Million winners and three $2 Million winners - none in Michigan, so I apparently struck out on all the big money. This time. I seldom if ever play the lotteries, but will spring for a couple tickets when the jackpot(s) get above $1B USD. Mrs Smoke may buy a scratch-off ticket every other year or so if it tickles her fancy. Average total annual spending for gambling of any kind - less than $10 USD.

I'm going to get six tickets this time!!

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I would buy my parents a house. I would buy my siblings and their families homes also.

I would give each of them $10M in an account to live off of however they wanted.

I want a Ferrari and a Rolex. That's it. I have no big lottery dreams.

I dont play the lottery unless it gets over a billion. Guess I better get some tickets.

Yeah, I would give my cousins, my parents, my brother-in-law, my closest friends, my parents, and my in-laws trust funds of 3-5 million each. Keep 10 million for myself, and give the rest away.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I would give my cousins, my parents, my brother-in-law, my closest friends, my parents, and my in-laws trust funds of 3-5 million each. Keep 10 million for myself, and give the rest away.
Have I told you lately how handsome and talented you are? You're one of my heros.

Keep that in mind when passing out checks. 100,000.00 is all I can accept. That's cheap!

BobC

I already have just about everything I need from a drumming point of view. I'd buy an estate where my kids and grandson could all have separate residences, and I'd invest in good real estate properties, and a trust for my kids, grandson and future grandchildren. I'd also buy a ranch out west, set up a recording/rehearsal studio for musicians, and probably open a music venue in a good spot with the best sound and lights, great food and drink, and only the best bands, both local and national. No cover bands playing tired old Skynyrd covers. If it broke even, I'd be happy.

And I'd indulge my passion for vintage cars and probably set up a Jay Leno style garage with employees on call to restore and repair the cars as they are purchased. I might buy a P-51 Mustang or a Vought Corsair and learn to fly it, as I have always been a WWII aviation buff. Those planes occasionally come up for sale.

And I'd set up a well equipped gym in my house, because all the money in the world won't do you any good if you can't stay healthy.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Probably hire a team of researchers and lobbyists to create and promote some arts friendly legislation, on whatever scale made sense-- local, state, national. Definitely lobby the living s* out of local/state officials to get music happening in schools again. Endow a jazz venue.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Have I told you lately how handsome and talented you are? You're one of my heros.

Keep that in mind when passing out checks. 100,000.00 is all I can accept. That's cheap!

Speaking of gifts, I’d pay Andy to give you a whole shell bank in your favorite wood. And one for me in walnut too.