Post your GreTsch 1950s Cadillac Green singles

Kona1984

Hi.
If you have a 'singles
( some say orphaned)
Gretsch 1950s Cadillac Green drum... any drum...,
snare, bass or tom, please post a photo here. If you have any history that goes with your drum I'd love to hear about it.
I have one drum... this 9x13 tom with the original gold plated hardware. When I won it a few years ago on an eBay auction the seller had no history for the drum. He bought it at an estate sale in Pennsylvania and the drum was unadvertised in that sale.
My drum has some gouges in the finish but overall it's in very good condition. The eBay auction photos showed obvious gold paint on the hardware. I messaged the seller at the time I was bidding and asked him about the gold paint. He replied and said it looks like someone did spraypaint the hardware but the green finish looks original. I knew that the original Cadillac Green drums...listed in the Gretsch catalogs in the 50s stated that these drums came with Gold plated hardware. For a few seconds at the end of the auction the bids were climbing fast.
I took the drum to a local jewelery shop to have the hardware inspected. It was then confirmed that there was gold plating under the rattle can gold spray paint.
A nice piece of GreTsch drum history and a 'rare bird' so I've been told.
th_CADILLACGREENTOMHARDWARECLEANEDMVI.jpgIMG_3857.JPGCADI GREEN TOM - GOLD HARDWARE CLEANED (2).JPG

Last edited:

Kona1984

I wonder if these were the original rims? If so, I wonder when they moved to die-cast?
These are first- generation die-cast hoops. Die-cast Stickchopper available in the 50s until 58. Second generation die-cast hoops.... appeared in 59... they had a bead on the top... easier on sticks.

timmdrum

Silver Member
These are first- generation die-cast hoops. Die-cast Stickchopper available in the 50s until 58. Second generation die-cast hoops.... appeared in 59... they had a bead on the top... easier on sticks.
Ah. They look like flanged hoops in the pic. Also, it has 6 lugs, rather than the usual 5 for rack toms.

Kona1984

Ah. They look like flanged hoops in the pic. Also, it has 6 lugs, rather than the usual 5 for rack toms.
The 'usual' for Gretsch 40' and 50s 9x13 Gretsch toms are 6lugs. 10 and 12 inch usually has 5 lugs. There may be old .... or new.... Gretsch 9x13 toms with 5 lugs out there but I've not owned or seen one.

Last edited:

timmdrum

Silver Member
The 'usual' for Gretsch 40' and 50s 9x13 Gretsch toms are 6lugs. 10 and 12 inch usually has 5 lugs. There may be old .... or new.... Gretsch 9x13 toms with 5 lugs out there but I've not owned or seen one.
I could be mistaken about which sizes have/had 5 lugs.