Post Your Greatest Weakness ?

How many of you drummers play double bass ?

• Total voters
Everyone Post you greatest weakness & let the world of drummers help you fix it...I'm certain we have all been there or not there yet !!!....You may recieve multiple tips on how to overcome any drumming problem...

Peace! Lee

Lead Left Foot. Man is my left foot dead. I do everything I can to keep it moving but I find myself in the middle of a gig resting my weight fully on my left foot. Uhg.

I have gotten significantly better but I see drummers with that foot just popping away with the beat for hours and I salivate!!!

DAMN YOU LEFT FOOT!!!

Peace

www.wolvesatthedoor.net

Everyone Post you greatest weakness & let the world of drummers help you fix it...I'm certain we have all been there or not there yet !!!....You may recieve multiple tips on how to overcome any drumming problem...

Peace! Lee

Lead Left Foot. Man is my left foot dead. I do everything I can to keep it moving but I find myself in the middle of a gig resting my weight fully on my left foot. Uhg.

I have gotten significantly better but I see drummers with that foot just popping away with the beat for hours and I salivate!!!

DAMN YOU LEFT FOOT!!!

Peace

www.wolvesatthedoor.net

double strokes i cannot for the life of me get the technique to do them :(

LOL I can't do doubles too! I can't get the second stroke when I'm doing faster =[

I have a lot of weakness. Too much to be posted.
the major problem is that I don't spend much time on drumming.
I'm too busy, there are a bunch of things I haven't done for school.

I have to practice in instruments and piano stores since I don't have a kit at home.
It's so troublesome to go out and practice! >=[

The fact that I quit playing from 1976 until last year might have something to do with it.

I'm pretty happy with my playing right now. It just boggles my mind when I see these young players doing "rolls' more or less on a single pedal ! I think it's great. I'm learning to live with my limitations and play within them. The main thing is I'm having HUGE fun playing drums again.

And I don't mind sharing my Greatest Weakness.....

You too, eh? :)

Just got back to play drums again (December '07; hadn't touch them since the late 80s) meself and finally am beginning to get some things together...but am far, far, far from being anywhere close to what tons of modern drummers are able to do...and like you also marvel and am totally blown away by the prodigy being displayed by a lot of them drumming 'yun whippersnappers...not to mention stars like Gadd, Weckle, Mason, Smith (both Steve and Mervin), Cobham, Vinnie, Erskine, et al., or my heroes of the past: Buddy Rich, Joe Morello, Loui Bellson, Ed Tightpen, Philly Joe Jones, Max Roach, Shelly Mann, Mel Lewis, and a host of other such luminaries.
But am also having one heck of a good time and truly enjoy the warm feeling gotten from loving the art of drumming and its associated tools...namely: DRUMS!!!...

-elcid

Last edited:
You too, eh? :)

Just got back to play drums again (December '07; hadn't touch them since the late 80s) meself and finally am beginning to get some things together...but am far, far, far from being anywhere close to what tons of modern drummers are able to do...and like you also marvel and am totally blown away by the prodigy being displayed by a lot of them drumming 'yun whippersnappers...not to mention stars like Gadd, Weckle, Mason, Smith (both Steve and Mervin), Cobham, Vinnie, Erskine, et al., or my heroes of the past: Buddy Rich, Joe Morello, Loui Bellson, Ed Tightpen, Philly Joe Jones, Max Roach, Shelly Mann, Mel Lewis, and a host of other such luminaries.
But am also having one heck of a good time and truly enjoy the warm feeling gotten from loving the art of drumming and its associated tools...namely: DRUMS!!!...

-elcid

Throw me in that briar patch too! I just started back after not playing since the late 70s. Now I'm teaching my grandkids to play. My biggest problems since starting back are single stick rolls, transitions between drums (rim city), and dynamics. I can play okay when I can open up, but at lower volumes, my clock stops. It's like when I play loud, there's no fear of doing anything wrong. At low volumes, I get hesitant. It's slowly coming back though.

The young guys I've seen lately have some amazing talent. Just before Christmas, I was in Guitar Center scoping out e-drums. There was one kid in there playing that was totally awesome. Really humbled me, but stoked the fires at the same time.

I am having a blast though. I'll never be without a kit again.

I guess my greatest weakness (besides authentic Latin drumming) would be "money-making". Just hasn't happened in a while.

I have a seemingly endless amount of weaknesses, but the one that stands out the most is:

LACK OF TIME.

As in, not having enough free time during the day to practice as much as I'd want. There are goals I want to achieve with my drumming (some of which, by rights, I should've achieved long ago), but unfortunately, like many of you, I also have work/study (ie. life) to attend to as well. I only get about 2-3 actual kit sessions a week due to always being busy with other things, and some days I cannot practice anything drum-related at all.

It's unfortunate, seeing as I need at least 4-5+ hours a day of practice to be able to get to where I want - but the sad reality of the situation is that you can only really become as "good"/proficient a drummer as circumstances dictate, which means I can never expect to achieve my drumming goals in a timely fashion. :(

OMG i dont got any tips, but i have that same prob! i tune my skins the same on both bass drums but one of em is always high and one is always rly low

I talked to a lot of people for tuning two bass drums to the same pitch and I did a lot of research and found out it's impossible. No, two bass drums have the same exact pitch. They can get really close and nobody could ever tell the difference. I still can't get them to be close. But, I am looking at a double pedal for my right bass drum and taking out all the muffling and tuning it really low for parts like the beginning of "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC. So, the most I can say is good luck to you and hope you figure something out to..

I broke my left arm pretty bad when i was kid, it required surgery and what not and had to a screw is now in my arm. Anyway, traditional grip gets awkward to hold because my wrist doesn't twist fully and makes my arm feel sore. should i stick with traditional or switch back to rock grip.

simple, quit your job, drop out of school and let music do the rest. It sounds like a bad idea right now, but wait until your where you wana be in terms of drumming.

But really, don't do any of that. Just wait until you have time or something bud.

I have a seemingly endless amount of weaknesses, but the one that stands out the most is:

LACK OF TIME.

As in, not having enough free time during the day to practice as much as I'd want. There are goals I want to achieve with my drumming (some of which, by rights, I should've achieved long ago), but unfortunately, like many of you, I also have work/study (ie. life) to attend to as well. I only get about 2-3 actual kit sessions a week due to always being busy with other things, and some days I cannot practice anything drum-related at all.

It's unfortunate, seeing as I need at least 4-5+ hours a day of practice to be able to get to where I want - but the sad reality of the situation is that you can only really become as "good"/proficient a drummer as circumstances dictate, which means I can never expect to achieve my drumming goals in a timely fashion. :(

I broke my left arm pretty bad when i was kid, it required surgery and what not and had to a screw is now in my arm. Anyway, traditional grip gets awkward to hold because my wrist doesn't twist fully and makes my arm feel sore. should i stick with traditional or switch back to rock grip.

Which ever is more comfortable for you. If traditional grip makes you feel sore try rock grip and if you're unsuccessful with that then try other grips or try and get use to traditional. I like the German grip.

Heres a little history class & a big secret in the drum world..or at least not many drummers even know this...I assume some older drummer taught you how to play traditional grip or your old yourself...or you were taught in drum corps or a marching band...

The "ONLY" reason the traditional grip was invented was if you look back at the old Fife & Snare Drummer from the revolutionary war etc...before a drum set/kit was even invented the snare drum had no leg -rest attachment and the snare hung at an angle on ther side of the knee

Picture that or find a picture then try and play a drum in that position matched grip...(1) its completely uncomfortable (2) your Left elbow is pointing towards the sky (3) And your attack is uneven because of the differant angles your arms are.

Switch to matched grip and never go back...

I have a problem with the shuffle, just can't understand the whole idea and concept, just don't know how to execute it right... (I know notation, but dunno how to play it)... Odd to say... plus, I lack some strength in double strokes(how do I do it? More practice?)

Offbeat crash chokes.I suck that them. Can never get the timing right.

I have NO weaknesses.

Exept maybe ego.

As long as you can back it up with talent...and the groupies don't mind !!!...but then again an ego maniac like Bret Michaels a no talent singer has his own show called "Groupies wuth implants still Do me" ... and "50 Cent" actually calls that crap music and himself a musician

I GUESS ITS JUST ALL HOW YOU MEASURE SUCCESS

I can't figure out how to do a gravity beat. I don't think I have the fulcrum part right, yet I've watched many videos on youtube about it. All I can do for the time being is fast single stroke blast beats. It works for the music that I play now, but I still can't get that "tank cruising at 60 mph through cobble streets" sound.

My other great weakness is I'm recovering from spinal cord and neck injuries. I was determined enough to return to playing death metal at the beginning of last year. I know that some drummers on here will know what I've been through. Drumming itself is harsh on the back. I have improved my posture quite a bit, because I had to. Which is good in a way because before the accident I had a who cares attitude towards it.
I don't practice in a band, and my drums are stored at a space. So my practice routine is 2-3 hours a night, 3 times a week. I'm wondering if this a good amount?

cymbal chokes. i'm not sure why, but i just can't do them. like, my sticks get in the way or i end up taking a chunk of flesh off my hand when i miss and instead of grabbing it I do more of an awkward backhand against the side of the cymbal. yeah, it hurts like hell.

my other weakness is when i really get into a song, i have the tendency to slap myself in the face with my sticks..repeatedly. and chunking the skin off my knuckles on the snare hoops. no matter how much i progress or how much technique i develop, i still end up walking away from a drum set looking like i just got into a fight.

Back