Post Your Greatest Weakness ?

How many of you drummers play double bass ?

• Total voters
Rushing fills in the transition parts (Verse to B, B to chorus) and I still have trouble getting real single stroke speed on fills and rudiments.

Jesus where to start.....eh...

Independence - more or less non existant,
Left hand and foot doubles - very uneven,
Feet speed and control - terrible,
Reading - can't read,

well thats what ya get from just playing along with cds.

jiltednut said:
well thats what ya get from just playing along with cds.

It appears that you like Lombardo. (looks like him in your avatar) If your into challenging drumming... try playing along with Fantomas's (AMENEZA al MUNDO)

My weakness?

Bullets.

Really i would have to say double bass. I can get a pretty fast speed, but i cant keep it going for more than a few seconds.

(good thread)

( 1 ) Drum Rudiments - So much to learn and wondering when I can really develop speed on it.....but for now Techniques, Techniques on getting the right sound.

( 2 ) Very Fast Swing - not really good at it - needs plenty of Practice.

( 3 ) Double Pedal - just started to get a feel - Gosh !..my damm legs really ache man.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me - Toughest & Greatest Weakness is in - Practicing Rudiments.

Eric

3 big weaknesses

1. I cant do a shuffle (either purdie shuffle, nor fool in the rain) just cant do it...mind block

2. I dont practice enough rudiments

3. I cant keep time with my left foot on the high hat while riding....gotta practice that

The thing I need to work on (not now, cuz more things are important) is my left foot slide technique with shoes on. I had gotten it down great with barefeet months ago, but now that I've switched to playing with shoes again, I can't do it very well again ... so off to the woodshed!

Lee Mangano said:
Everyone Post you greatest weakness & let the world of drummers help you fix it...I'm certain we have all been there or not there yet !!!....You may recieve multiple tips on how to overcome any drumming problem...

Peace! Lee

So whats yours Lee ?

For me I'd say either double bass or my left hand independence and speed.

Last edited:
Greatest weakness? Probably playing the drums...yep that would be it. Better pick that bass back up.

Lee Mangano said:
Everyone Post you greatest weakness & let the world of drummers help you fix it...I'm certain we have all been there or not there yet !!!....You may recieve multiple tips on how to overcome any drumming problem...

Peace! Lee

Playing snicky little hi-hat glissandi where open and shut occupies one eighth. Getting the feel right al la David Garibaldi is so so difficult I find. And worse in pairs. One leading into a beat and one just after.

neilpscuz said:
So whats yours Lee ?

Neil
As a drummer, 4 part independance I have trouble with, and unpopular time signatures like 7/8 and 6/8 etc...were my biggest problems...I was a rock solid 4/4 ... I could perform other time signatures, but needed extra concentration, so it took away from my performance & natural playing ability.

I see these jazz players & every limb is doing something differant...it's so natural & it's literally way beyond me & I love listening to & watching them.

My real weakness...I have a few other problems, but to be honest, my live drumming career is basically over..I had a lung removed because of cancer, have meneires, MS & Coronary Artery Desease & medicated to prevent a heart attack..so drumming is tough with all this..but so am I....

The rest of my drumming career will focus on teaching privatley and internationally thru DvD, Book & CD's etc...

Peace...and you have a "Great" Day...Lee

Attachments

• DS DVD Front Cover.jpg
    DS DVD Front Cover.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 3,393
Fusion Bigband Rock "Weakness reading music"
A: I can read but im also not great at it...I think chops & abilty is alot more important, theres alot of ways to learn how to play other than being a chart reader. If your future is to be a studio drummer, it's mandatory to learn, so start now.

Finnhiggins " Oliver Stone's frustrating paradiddle exercises are responsable for JFK puttin a gun to his head & blowing his brains out.!!!!!....Still laughin my ass off ....
A: Yes...buy the book, but make sure your on ground level...there are no guns in the house, park the car outside the garage, and hide the knives & razor blades...Good Luck

Sclaude1964 "Rushing Fills & rudiments"
A: Hear this over & over again...Manditory, can't say it enough, a metronome is the most important tool a drummer can have, buy one & use it daily untill you can hear the meter in your head. tictoctictoctictoctictoc...again hide all weapons in the house if you think paradiddles can kill you...wait till you see what a metronome will do to your brain

Bighaibig Drums "Lack of Practice Time"
A: Whenever your awake, wherever you are, whatever your doing you can practice...i found work & school was were i got most of drumbrain work done, memorizing sticking patterns & exercising my feet & rudiments on the desk tapping with my fingers & pencil...I worked on my timing while haveing sex...lol...and when i wasn't working, going to school or having sex, I was playing my drums...then when i went to sleep the last thing on my mind was "Drums"

DrumGod said:
I have a realy short attention span so when i try do rudiments (i starting learnig them again slowly to build up accents control etc) i get distracted and do other stuff or start playing something else etc

i do this with other things like when i get to the end of a song that i have been laying after it is done i will just march right into some other groove and forget about the next thing i was going to do

Lee, good luck with the teaching and I most always have a GREAT day !

Back