Post Your Greatest Weakness ?

How many of you drummers play double bass ?

• Total voters
At this point in my life gone are the, my weak left hand, my foot speed, my limited independence. Yes those are important but now I look at each piece (song) of music as document.

This is my weakness.

A document whether simple or complex can be an easy read of very difficult. All depends on how it is written. When I listen back to myself after a gig I record I sometimes feel that my fill ideas are not smooth or thought out, or my stick articulation is not precise at times. Could be anything.

It's always a challenge but I feel that I can at least make some improvements to the material that I am playing. Clean up the document if you wil. I'm OK with that.

It needs to be fun, or I'm done.

I struggle with the same. What seems to help for me is:

- making a practice planning over a week: "I want to practice this and this during this week. Yesterday I did the independence exercise, so today I can practice the free soloing and I'll have still three days for the linear grooves"

- Give a special assignment to each month, like "this month I will try to practice brushes"

So it becomes less "urgent" to put every aspect in the same session (as if I would forget everything if I'd skip a day, which is of course not true)

Fred stop killing yourself, its not a bad thing to challenge yourself even if it slows down your process, the end result will make you better !... right ?

my right hand

I'm suppose to play left hand drums technically but nope ;)

If your "Right" hand is the problem do the same things all right handed drummers do to help their weak "Left" hand ...use rudiments w/ accents for control and practice till your weak hand performs the pattern exactly sounding & most important feels like your stronger hand ...use metronome start slow & build ....

That's easy-I haven't developed a "drum solo" that uses ALL 40 Vic Firth rudiments in some fashion. LOL. That might make a cool drum contest?
Seriously I have too many to have just one that is "greatest" maybe better phrasing would be what is your greatest asset? I hope mine is persistence.
I have toyed with the idea of making a 3 minutes solo with every lick and rudiment I know, and doing a GC drum-off, just to ruin those ideas for everyone after me.

Macaroni and cheese. It's like pasta crack.

My left hand and left foot. I can do most of the basic things with my lefts, but my limb independence is fairly limited on that side.

My left foot, it's not as independant on the kit as I want it to be/used to be.

Currently working on it with this book

4-Way-Coordination-4-Way-Coordination-9780769233703.jpg

When drummers post left hand is weak, I am impressed with Mike Manngini method, although his left hand was already good, he decided to set his kit up left handed & play 1 full year every time he played left handed...he's a 'Monster" player !

Greatest weakness? Left foot - Some people say one limb has a mind of its own. Well, this limb doesn't even have a mind. Next to greatest? Right foot speed - just starting to get the hang of having my heel up. Started with heel down for everything, but 16th notes on the kick is making me work on my foot position. Slow going, but there is improvement!

My Drum School program & I have some Great news Im proud to announce , and so honored to be apart of. I have been accepted to be a Drum Teacher on Jared Faulk's #1 Online Online website for drum educational tools, lessons & "live" virtual courses available to you http://www.drumeo.com

Scroll bottom > click "Drum Teachers" (my zip code 02888)

Drummers "Sign Up" today & Post your "Greatest Weakness" & let the World of "Drum Nation" help you fix it...I am certain we have all been there or maybe not there yet !!!....You may receive multiple tips and advise from drummers all around the Globe of all cultures & levels of talent on how to overcome any drumming problem you may have !

Good Luck & Have a Great Day !
Lee,

Now you can reach me personally "Live" for virtual private or group drum lessons or just to chat

Or ~ Come by & check out Jared F. ~ DRUMEO EDGE ~ The #1 Online Drum Education website on the Planet !

http://drumeo.com

http://leemangano.wix.com/drumschool
featuring:
Lee Mangano ..... NRG
Gary Moffatt ..... 38 Special
Sean Shannon ... Molly Hatchet & Pat Travers
Joe Pet ............ Joe Perry Project
Jackie Santos ... John Cafferty

Drum School Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/leemangano22

NRG Transformers Club
nrgtransformersclub.com

My greatest weakness is my laziness. I could be a lot better soloist, etc., if I were willing to put in the time to practice more like I did in the 70's. But I just sit around and drink beer most of the time. Or look at nude girls' bums on the internet!

My greatest weakness is my laziness. I could be a lot better soloist, etc., if I were willing to put in the time to practice more like I did in the 70's. But I just sit around and drink beer most of the time. Or look at nude girls' bums on the internet!

I guess you picked the wrong instrument ... you should have been a singer

I guess you picked the wrong instrument ... you should have been a singer

No, I should have been RICH! LOL! I'm getting Social security in 8 months! I kiss NO man's ASS anymore, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm there, I EARNED it by putting up with all their damn Bull crap!

Last edited:
Hello Drummers ... sign up and use this website & tool and meet drummers around the world, If anyone has trouble registering contact me...I have connections here ...lolol

Lee

I havent read this in years ... kinda fun listening to my advice and answers...
Neil
As a drummer, 4 part independance I have trouble with, and unpopular time signatures like 7/8 and 6/8 etc...were my biggest problems...I was a rock solid 4/4 ... I could perform other time signatures, but needed extra concentration, so it took away from my performance & natural playing ability.

I see these jazz players & every limb is doing something differant...it's so natural & it's literally way beyond me & I love listening to & watching them.

My real weakness...I have a few other problems, but to be honest, my live drumming career is basically over..I had a lung removed because of cancer, have meneires, MS & Coronary Artery Desease & medicated to prevent a heart attack..so drumming is tough with all this..but so am I....

The rest of my drumming career will focus on teaching privatley and internationally thru DvD, Book & CD's etc...

Peace...and you have a "Great" Day...Lee

Re: help.. ='(

Hi Thousand tears ....years since we chatted...I hope you still get notifications & contact me ...better yet just send me latest recording & pic of you drumming .....I have 5 or 6 girl drummers now that would love your advice now......
In my eyes...you are already a professional, and "Thousandtears", hate to be the one to tell you...but your still a kid..so enjoy these years, and don't miss out on anything because of this instrument

You have already helped yourself with your insight & personality...you know your passion, you set your goals & are dedicated to improve just by being here seeking help because you realize your weaknesses need to be strengthened in order to accomplish your destiny. That is the definition of a professional. If you could put that in a bottle & sell it..

I hope all of the drummers here read your post & help you with their experience, ideas, tips and knowlege for you to grow as a drummer & give you confidence & support...my only advice to you is to find a great drum instructor in your area, join the school band, or even better yet if there is a drum corps in your area, join it..it's the best & you'll meet a ton of friends around the world.

Good Luck..I'll keep in touch with more..Lee

Drummers Post your "Greatest Weakness" & let the World of "Drummers" help you fix it ... I am certain we have all been there or maybe not even there yet ! ... great way to meet drummers & you may receive multiple tips and advise from drummers all around the Globe of all cultures & levels of talent on how to overcome any drumming problem you may have .... I'm still trying to fix mine ...

Good Luck & Have a Great Day !
Lee,

View attachment 92863

Drum School
http://leemangano.wix.com/drumschool

NRG Transformers Fan Club
www.nrgtfclub.com

NRG Transformers Club Store
www.nrgtfclub.biz
Hi Drummers are there any drumcorps style or marching band drummers online ?

"Hi drummers its been awhile" I have been real busy recording & Drum School has opened a Virtual Classroom with Berklee teaching tools if you are interested in private lessons or group lessons please post, email or text me and have a great day drummies !

Back