Post Your Greatest Weakness ?

How many of you drummers play double bass ?

• Total voters

NouveauCliche

I'm bad at reading and linear patterns don't naturally fall out of me.

I'm also stuck in subdividing in triplets from a couple decades of playing straight ahead jazz - so sometimes my fill phrasing is a mis-match for funk or hiphop, etc.

Benthedrummer

I'm bad at reading and linear patterns don't naturally fall out of me.

I'm also stuck in subdividing in triplets from a couple decades of playing straight ahead jazz - so sometimes my fill phrasing is a mis-match for funk or hiphop, etc.
This is uncanny!

My exact reply also is I find linear patterns a stumbling block for me. They frustrate me and I'm not a natural linear player.

Reading (or lack of) is something that I recognise as my other greatest weakness.

Lee Mangano

All of my weaknesses are so great it’s hard to say which is the greatest.
if I had your problem "not knowing" then I would have to guess that is your greatest weakness ! ... you need to know Jboogie !!!
This is uncanny!

My exact reply also is I find linear patterns a stumbling block for me. They frustrate me and I'm not a natural linear player.

Reading (or lack of) is something that I recognise as my other greatest weakness.

Darth Vater

Left hand but only in relation to right which is pretty bad ass. I'll put my right foot up against anybody except those glider speed metal guys.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
if I had your problem "not knowing" then I would have to guess that is your greatest weakness ! ... you need to know Jboogie !!!
I’ll consider myself learnt! As one of my weaknesses, learning is also rather great, if I do say so myself. Not to toot my own snare drum

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Left hand but only in relation to right which is pretty bad ass. I'll put my right foot up against anybody except those glider speed metal guys.
I’ll accept ur footsie challenge! Perhaps quarantine has me a bit to eager for human contact. I forgot what you people (people) look like.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

double bass is my greatest weakness, even though I have been a metal head/punker for 45+ years...grew up in the mind set of Nicko McBrain...single fast foot.

I started working on double bass 4 years ago, so lots of catching up to do...

Lee Mangano

double bass is my greatest weakness, even though I have been a metal head/punker for 45+ years...grew up in the mind set of Nicko McBrain...single fast foot.

I started working on double bass 4 years ago, so lots of catching up to do...
I have a real good double bass DvD titled "Taking It To The Next Level" with "combination study" playing rudiments around the kit with 1/4 to 1/8th to 1/16th notes back to 1/4 notes on the feet & all lessons with metronome in 3 levels 60 bpm 100 bpm 120 bpm ..,

Lee Mangano

hi I'm a 13-year-old girl drummer being board out of my mind in quarantine do you have any fun drum patterns for me to play
well you definitely have the right attitude at 13 to be "Queen of the drums" ... theres a lot of competition, so you better get started on this song ... and subscribe to her channel... lets post a few of greatest female drummers I like ... here a professional with 17,000,000 fans

Lee Mangano

well you definitely have the right attitude at 13 to be "Queen of the drums" ... theres a lot of competition, so you better get started on this song ... and subscribe to her channel... lets post a few of greatest female drummers I like ... here a professional with 17,000,000 fans
Ok Jiggs up Drummer Queen !!! .. Samantha is one of my students & fun to teach ... she has a little "Frank Zapper" in her for the older drummers to understand ...

J-Boogie

Gold Member
hi I'm a 13-year-old girl drummer being board out of my mind in quarantine do you have any fun drum patterns for me to play
I love paradiddles and double paradiddles.

rlrrlrll
Rlrlrrlrlrll

Love what these exercises do for the hands. I try to get the r rr and l ll part of the diddles to become one motion. Basically a down stroke and then two taps on the upstroke. I also try going from singles to doubles as seamlessly as possible, from slow to fast, soft to a roar. Recently I’ve started doing some snap ups in an attempt to strengthen my hands and firearms, you can get quite the burn going. I’ve seen a lot of improvement.

Lee Mangano

I love paradiddles and double paradiddles.

rlrrlrll
Rlrlrrlrlrll

Love what these exercises do for the hands. I try to get the r rr and l ll part of the diddles to become one motion. Basically a down stroke and then two taps on the upstroke. I also try going from singles to doubles as seamlessly as possible, from slow to fast, soft to a roar. Recently I’ve started doing some snap ups in an attempt to strengthen my hands and firearms, you can get quite the burn going. I’ve seen a lot of improvement.
Hi J-Boogie heres my first Hand & Foot combination lesson on my DvD using Single Paradiddles w/ 1/4 - 1/8th & 1/16th on the feet
Lee M : Single Para-diddles Kit 1/4-1/8-1/16 th Feet

moodman

Can't get enough speed in my spang-a-lang, my samba kick or the Oakland Stroke.

( I don't play double kick but can bounce a shuffle and lay down 8 or 10 16ths )

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Can't get enough speed in my spang-a-lang, my samba kick or the Oakland Stroke.

( I don't play double kick but can bounce a shuffle and lay down 8 or 10 16ths )
I have to work on a lot of my Latin feel stuff...has been a while since I needed to play that stuff

Yamaha Rider

My greatest weakness is I can't count beats and bars, funny right?

I have never been able to count out what I'm playing and when I think about it I play worse. I've always "felt" when I need to change or add a fill, never counted.

I'm not sure it's a weakness as it hasn't hindered me as a drummer, in fact I feel it gives me more mental freedom to focus on the dynamics of my playing.
You are not alone, friend!
To be fair, my drum tutor says he doesn't count when playing either because he values 'feel' more.

Yamaha Rider

My greatest weakness is a rudiment that I practice almost everyday but just cannot get perfect at. It is like LLR LLR LLR LLR
L= left hand
R= right hand

I just cannot get my left hand moving that fast as compared to my right hand.
I have written about some more techniques to speed up your drumming speed in my blog

http://themusicco.blogspot.in

but this above rudiment is the last and most difficult one that I am trying till date.
What speed do you start to struggle with that?
1) I speed up on more than "every so often" occasions (not always my fault though :p)

2) I am sloppy with being the same (in one chorus, I might hit a cymbal on the 2nd line, but the next chorus I won't)

3) I rarely use toms in fills (because I'm not good enough, despite playing for 15 years with a 5 year gap, which ended about 6 months ago).

4) I set the hi-hat so I can lift my foot off completely and it's still touching (because I am lazy so when I am rocking, then I don't need to worry what position my foot is in).
A fellow human! I like that!