Post your Gig Pics

drumnut87

Silver Member
a fairly recent pic. no i wasnt playing in an elvis tribute band, i was playing with my own pop-rock band and a solo elvis tribute singer was support :) he just couldnt remove his sign because my kit was blocking access to it xD
20220703_001713.jpg

fobz

😁😁 this was a lot of fun (and puts my K sweet crashes centre stage where they belong 😉)

20220721_223052.jpg

roncadillac

Ugh… 108F degrees at gig time, no shade, and set up right next to a huge metal building that radiated heat like a convection oven. The sweaty nastiness of the gig was slightly offset by ice cold bunches of some of the largest grapes I’ve ever seen.

View attachment 123180

View attachment 123182
I find myself in similar heat and sun situations playing in Florida. I'm honestly about to invest in the smallest cheapest pop up canopy I can find and leave it in my trunk just in case.

Ryan Culberson

I find myself in similar heat and sun situations playing in Florida. I'm honestly about to invest in the smallest cheapest pop up canopy I can find and leave it in my trunk just in case.

Smart investment. I own an EZ Up specifically for these situations but of course didn’t have it with me for this gig, which was about 45 minutes away from my home. We were told we were gonna be inside the metal building in A/C. Last minute changes meant outside.

This is Bakersfield and the surrounding area from pretty much Memorial Day through Labor Day, and often into October.

D7883B67-0E42-4F35-BA56-405E5510913F.jpg

J.D.

Smart investment. I own an EZ Up specifically for these situations but of course didn’t have it with me for this gig, which was about 45 minutes away from my home. We were told we were gonna be inside the metal building in A/C. Last minute changes meant outside.

This is Bakersfield and the surrounding area from pretty much Memorial Day through Labor Day, and often into October.

View attachment 123183
"Last minute changes". Yeah...that's one I say "one of those changes is that we're now going acoustic".

Ryan Culberson

Today was a tale of two drum sets. First up was a sub job at a large church in Bakersfield. Played in the fish bowl on fish bowl drums. 🤣 Seemed kinda ironic to me to be playing a 14-16-18-26 amber Vistalite set at a church gig, but the drums sounded great and the band was rippin’.

AC5853ED-7149-4068-B349-7EE54C344A24.jpeg

Second hit was for a baby shower, of all things. Dee Dubs, minus the 13” tom, hammered bronze Ludwig and my new good time 602 cymbal gals. Brushes only and ultra low volume. The country club we were at loved our quiet abilities and we scored a couple of residual dates for our troubles. Good stuff.

C7D9968A-11D7-4832-9A81-9F532299DDF3.jpeg

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I had one o the most terrifying gigs in my life last Friday!!

got to school that morning and found out that 5 of my 9 front ensemble kids were out with COVID issues, including my drum set player. So,, the "show must go on", and I ended up having to play with them at halftime.

granted, I wrote all of the music, and those are all of my students, but that meant playing in front off, and with some of my harshest critics!!! It was a freaking blast in the end, and I a mso jealous that I didn't get to do this back in the 80's

I also have new found respect for my drum set kid too

roncadillac

I had one o the most terrifying gigs in my life last Friday!!

got to school that morning and found out that 5 of my 9 front ensemble kids were out with COVID issues, including my drum set player. So,, the "show must go on", and I ended up having to play with them at halftime.

granted, I wrote all of the music, and those are all of my students, but that meant playing in front off, and with some of my harshest critics!!! It was a freaking blast in the end, and I a mso jealous that I didn't get to do this back in the 80's

I also have new found respect for my drum set kid too
Nice job! There is a local high school jazz band in my area who's teacher plays kit to conduct the band instead of standing at the front with the stick thing. They are very talented, a few months ago they played an annual jazz festival and pulled out the Cowboy Beebop theme, it was great.

flamateurhour

Ahhh I love this. I wish my director had busted out his Sax more often. It's easy sometimes to feel that divide between teach and student in a way that's more of a void than necessary... Definitely a few times, especially late Marching Band season when him jamming with us woulda been an awesome bonding experience

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Nice job! There is a local high school jazz band in my area who's teacher plays kit to conduct the band instead of standing at the front with the stick thing. They are very talented, a few months ago they played an annual jazz festival and pulled out the Cowboy Beebop theme, it was great.

I would do this, but I am usually turning way 4-5 drummers in auditions every year for ours...and I take 3!! I do end up playing bass with the jazz band a lot though b/c it is harder to find bass players in high school any more..