Post rock cymbals

ShqM

First of all sorry about my english, i’m french so i’ll try to do my best here 

So, I started a post-rock band recently. Inspired by Russian Circles, Explosions in the Sky, God is an astronaut, If These Trees Could Talk, MONO, This will destroy you and many more.

I’ve bought this AAX pack
- 1 Hi-Hats Xplosion 14”
- 1 Crash Xplosion 16”
- 1 Crash Xplosion 18”
- 1 Raw Bell Dry Ride 21”

But I’m not really satisfied about this set…

The ride is not really crashable I can’t really use it as a crash so I’m looking for something more versatile maybe.
The crashes are too explosive and maybe too small. I know that, in post-rock, drummer play with bigger cymbals like 22” 24” sometimes.
The hi-hat probably too heavy.

I want to change everything.

It’s really hard to find information about drum kit of post rock band…

Well I don t really know what I’m want but I know what I want to do: post rock =)

What best cymbals for that ?!
I found Paiste 2002 series or Giant beat or maybe K series ?

What’s the best Hi-hats, 2 crashs & a ride for post rock.

Thank you so much for answering ;)

ShqM

There's not really any "best" but there are certainly ones better suited. I think a good place to start is to just, y'know, look at what your favorite drummers are using. I know Turncrantz used some Istanbul Xists at one point.

What I'd do is keep the 18" if you like it and buy a 20" or 21", a 22"-24", and either a thin pair of 14" hats or a pair of 15"s.

People do like the Paistes. Personally, I'm a Meinl fan, and I think that a Byzance Traditional 15" hats, 21" Medium Crash, and 23" Medium Ride setup would do well. The AAX might not mix well but you could use it for personal practice or whatever. If you want to stick with Sabian, check out HHX Legacy cymbals and the AA Bash Ride. Don't feel beholden to any particular company, though. I'll share it later but my current setup has 9 cymbals and 6 different companies and y'know, they all sound like cymbals together ;)

Not familiar with 'post rock', but I listened to a bit of the stuff, and at least part of it has an atmospheric bent to it.
Seems like you'd do well with a large, washy ride with a good amount of sustain to it, that leans towards the darker side for that.

For the livelier stuff, the hats and ride you've got should work, but maybe look for a larger crash that fits better with what you're looking for.
No specific suggestions other than to get some listening time in.

I think a good place to start is to just, y'know, look at what your favorite drummers are using
Yeah i know but the problem is that in post rock, it's very difficult to find what set is using drummers.
I know that Turncrantz use 3 Xist ride (yeah !!) one in 24" & two 21" ride using as crashs.
But for other band it's really difficult to know :/

About the AAX i'm not really in SABIAN or other, i really don't care, i just want a good sound for playing.
The problem with the AAX crash is they are too much explosive to me for crash & the ride seems to be too heavy to being crash easely /:

I just want to know wich big crash is good for that and what ride i can choose too ^^

Thanks for taking time to answer

ps: by the way the 23" byzance is amazing :x but really hard to find in store in france ^^

Last edited:
Can you go to a store and try some of what you mentioned? Those Giant Beats would probably work very well.

I don't know if MyCymbal ships to france but you could try, or at least use it to find some cymbals you like. Anything with "medium" in the name is a good place to start. Ks, HH/HHX, Byzance, Twenty/Signature, those are all pretty hammered lines too. Good luck.

I really like the Sabian XS20 line for rock. They are pretty loud. I had 14" medium hats, 18" medium crash, 20" medium ride (crashable) and a 18" rock crash.
One of my favorite cymbals is the 20" AA rock crash. You can ride on it as well.

Other than that, some medium weight Zildjian A cymbals will jet the job done.

Can you go to a store and try some of what you mentioned? Those Giant Beats would probably work very well.

I don't know if MyCymbal ships to france but you could try, or at least use it to find some cymbals you like. Anything with "medium" in the name is a good place to start. Ks, HH/HHX, Byzance, Twenty/Signature, those are all pretty hammered lines too. Good luck.
Yeah i have a store in Lyon where i can try but i want to buy cymbals second hand if i can. So i don't want to go try in store and buy other place ^^

So i have some ideas and continue to listening to mycymbals.com but please continue to give me ideas

If you are looking for a crashable ride may I suggest the Sabian Bash Ride in 21" or (if you can handle it) 24". Basically a Raw Bell Dry Ride in a crash-ride format, and my next ride for sure. I've loved every one I played.

If you like it! I think it'd work really well, coupled with a larger cymbal.

Do you think is it right to have crash cymbals larger than the crash ride ?
with the K crash ride 21" what is the best in crash ? 19-20 ? 20-22 ?

In second hand its really hard to find AA bash or 24" ride cymbal all of kinds :'(

I will definitely second the Sabian 24" Bash Ride. I got one a few weeks ago and it;s a beast. You dont get much ping from it but the bells is nice and washes for days!

I cant comment about rides over 20' but my Meinl Byzance 20' "big bell" has a nice stich definition for riding, a great unlathed bell for accents and will gice a good roar if crashed.

I have a Sabian XS20 medium rock that does both OK (as another poster mentioned)

Interestingly I have a Zidjian A reso Crash (18') and it crashes well as you would expect, nut also has a lovely smooth "rideability to it"

Even more surprising my Bosphorus Antigue16 roars like an angry tiger when crashed, but also rides like a cymbal much larger in size.

So a nice crash you can ride could be another ( cheaper) way of sorting out your issue !!

I will definitely second the Sabian 24" Bash Ride. I got one a few weeks ago and it;s a beast. You dont get much ping from it but the bells is nice and washes for days!

Do u have it it natural finish or brilliant, it change a lot the sound produce (hear on mycymbal).
Actually I thinking about 3 ride.
zildjian K crash ride 21"
byzance traditional medium ride 23"
Bash ride (natural finish) 24"

Or there a lot of great crash that you can use as ride like de paiste 2002 24" crash ...

I just got a Sabian AAX Omni 22" cymbal and it seems like that may be something for you to look into. It's got a pretty nice ride sound around the middle, a good bell, and is extremely crashable.

I 'm really surprised that nobody mentioned dream cymbals. They have big crash ride 18-22" , they are really easy to crash and much cheaper than sabian and zildjians

Hi there, thanks a lot for all answers ;)

I just bought Paiste 2002 hi hats 14" SE & crashs 18" & 20" .

I have to make a choice to find this fuc***g ride ;)

I want something about 22", with a nice ping and not really crashable ride but something easy to washride and have a great sound.

What do you think could be good with 2002's cymbals ?

Paiste 2002 Ride 22" ?
Zildjian 22 A medium ride ?
Zildjian 22 A custom medium ride ?
Paiste GB 24" (maybe to big for post rock ?)

it's a real dillemma :x

I think the clue is in the question :) but your ears will tell you.
on paper the Paiste 2002 22" is a good choice.
I also like the A medium ride (more wash, less ping than the 2002) but the 2002 will go well with your other 2002's !

I think the clue is in the question :) but your ears will tell you.
on paper the Paiste 2002 22" is a good choice.
I also like the A medium ride (more wash, less ping than the 2002) but the 2002 will go well with your other 2002's !
Yeah ride paiste seems good, 20" or 22" ?!
Is that weird to play with a 20" crash & a 20" ride ?

Back