Post Order: Newest first or Oldest first???

Do you prefer oldest Post first or newest Post first?

• Total voters

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
After the first day of implementing the new forum-software most members are happy with the new possibilities like embedding YouTube Videos....

But:
In the old forum we had the possibility to change the order of posts: Newest first or Oldest first. In the new software there is (...at the moment) no choice, so we have to decide:

OLDEST FIRST: Thread starts with the first post. Means: in the Gavin Harrison Thread you see the first message from 2005 and have then to scroll 2000 messages to come to the newest.

NEWEST FIRST: Thread starts with the newest first - as in Facebook - imagine it would be the other way around....

I preferred NEWEST FIRST, but there are some posts with a contrary opinion.

So please vote...thanks a lot...and enjoy the new forum...

Bernhard

Last edited:

Naigewron

Platinum Member
I'm thoroughly confused by the "newest first" setup. As for the Facebook comparison, that only holds for posts, not comments on posts. Comments are chronological, with the newest at the bottom.

Reading a thread now feels really weird - I have to go to the last page, read the last post, then jump up to the previous post, and so on. Using an "oldest first" setup means you can read a thread like a book - From top to bottom, from the first page to the last page.

I don't know XenForo, but maybe there's a plugin to make it user selectable?

As a semi-related topic, I can't find a "jump to newest unread post" link in the forum. Whatever forum layout we end up with, that is an incredibly useful function to help us pick up where we left off in a thread.

Thread starts with the first post. Means: in the Gavin Harrison Thread you see the first message from 2005 and have then to scroll 2000 messages to come to the newest.
I mean... You don't actually have to scroll - There's a convenient link to take you to the last page, both on the topics list and inside the thread.

Last edited:
I prefer 'oldest first' - there are already too many threads were people just read the question in the title and respond to that while the person who started the thread may have provided some additional information in the first post. I also just don't like reading a complete thread with 'newest first' because you always need to go down on every page.
If I want to go to the last post, I'd rather click on the highest number next to the thread title and press 'End' on my keyboard.

Edit: Aside from that, the new forum looks better of course.

One Up One Down

As a semi-related topic, I can't find a "jump to newest unread post" link in the forum. Whatever forum layout we end up with, that is an incredibly useful function to help us pick up where we left off in a thread.
I like that feature as well. From what I can see, the closest thing here is to click the date of the latest post -- that gets you close -- and then look for the 'new' tag on the posts you haven't read.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
After the first day of implementing the new forum-software most members are happy with the new possibilities like embedding YouTube Videos....

But:
In the old forum we had the possibility to change the order of posts: Newest first or Oldest first. In the new software there is (...at the moment) no choice, so we have to decide:

OLDEST FIRST: Thread starts with the first post. Means: in the Gavin Harrison Thread you see the first message from 2005 and have then to scroll 2000 messages to come to the newest.

NEWEST FIRST: Thread starts with the newest first - as in Facebook - imagine it would be the other way around....

I preferred NEWEST FIRST, but there are some posts with a contrary opinion.

So please vote...thanks a lot...and enjoy the new forum...

Bernhard
I think I started this fiasco, so I'll try to clear up my miscommunication that was 100% my fault.

I do NOT want to see a list of threads on the message boards starting at 2005 every time I get on here. I like newest thread first on the actual message board.

BUT

When I open a new thread (NOT the actual messageboard but the thread itself), I would like to see the original comment by the person who started the thread first, then the first response next, then the second response next as I scroll down the page. For example, my reply to this will appear on the first page of the thread, at the top...not at the bottom. In other words, the thread begins with the latest replies, not the original question followed by everyone's responses in the order they were posted.

Here are a couple of pictures of the top of specific threads. First is from Acoustic Guitar Forum. If you click on a thread, the first OP's question or comment is first. However on DW, the latest response is first. The message I was trying to get across is that I like the format of the AGF board in terms of order.

I really, really hope this makes sense.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mongrel

Silver Member
There is a "forum" where if you have already read the first post, no matter how many other posts there are in the thread, you will be automatically taken to the first UNREAD post.

So if a thread has 100 responses and you have already read the first 85 you will be taken to post number 86. From there you scroll DOWN to read all the posts after #86.

That is a feature I reall like.

For some reason (unfamiliarity?), this new format seems very awkward to navigate to me compared with that "other forum" for some reason. (Maybe it's the upside down post order?)

Which is odd, because the are using the same Xenforo software.

Anyway-still like it! Lol

Rochelle Rochelle

As I said on the other thread on this topic. Even if you have the setting to see oldest first you don't have to start at the beginning every time. Whenever I would click on the title it would take me to the first unread post and then I could scroll down to see all other replies.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I can see that I will be using the "click on the old page" button a lot of the voting goes as it apears. when I read threads I usaully go back to where I may have commented and gone forward from there. I can't imagine clicking on "Show your Ludwigs" and the post on top being from 10 years ago. I want to see the latest on the top of the page and scrolling down to see the history. I guess things will go as per the vote, but getting to the meat will take a while. I would say click on page 126 or whatever if you really want to see the first post.

Woolwich

Silver Member
Oldest First please.
The majority of threads aren't multi pages long (Your latest purchase and some of the Drummer threads excepted) so it "makes sense" to me to have oldest first.
As long as we can jump to the end by entering the thread from the homepage or using the page selectors that's fine by me.
Weirdly I read this post back to front without realising. I don't mind change but the post order isn't a change I like.

trickg

Silver Member
I much prefer to see threads in chronological order once I open them - I want to see the original post, then scroll down from there to see replies. Threads can sometimes go a bit off the beaten track, so if that happens and I open a thread where I'm thinking it's going to be one thing, I don't want to see a completely unrelated post as the first post I see.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Wow, this is awesome! Thank you Bernhard! This makes so much more sense to my simple drummer brain!

wildbill

Platinum Member
Thank you. (y)

I don't like to comment on a conversation without knowing what has already been said.
(It makes me look dumb sometimes)

I don't like to read the last page of a book first and then work my way through page by page to the front either.
(Too much effort to make any sense of it.)

And I don't even like walking backwards. ⬅

Last edited: