Possibly an obvious question about tension rods.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
The Tuner Fish work great & I will add that tuning up before a show is a ritual that just feels right.
Drums get out of tune for a variety of reasons and to ensure you have the right sound for the gig is essential.
You probably don't want a poppy snare at a jazz gig or a thuddy one at a hard rock show.
But many snares can do it all as long as you adjust them accordingly.

Reactions: J-W

AdamI

Yes, it absolutely will work despite what others have said. Ludwig makes what is essentially a lock nut that goes between the lug and hoop. The advantage of these is that they can be tightened easier by hand than a hex nut, but it doesn't really take much tension to hold the tuning.

View attachment 105838

These came on my Coliseum snare and they work wonderfully. The only hang-up (if you could even call it that) is that the tension rods stay on the hoop during a head swap. The advantage is that you won't lose or drop tension rods OR locking devices during a head change.
I knew I wasn't crazy! I'm gonna try to hunt some down and see if they are the solution to the particular problem that I'm looking for.

I definitely like the idea of not needing a tool and they look neat and tidy on the rod.... it's a Ludwig drum that I'm having the issue with too so it all checks out.

J-W

I knew I wasn't crazy! I'm gonna try to hunt some down and see if they are the solution to the particular problem that I'm looking for.

I definitely like the idea of not needing a tool and they look neat and tidy on the rod.... it's a Ludwig drum that I'm having the issue with too so it all checks out.

It's one of many solutions, but the simplest and most logical, IMO. It addresses the issue directly because the only thing missing in our situation (drums) in order for a threaded fastener (tension rod, in this case) to work properly by not backing out, is tightening it. You can't really "tighten" a tension rod enough for the system to work.
So, don't forget to put a bit of a turn on the tension rod with your key after you tune the drum and then finger tighten the lock nut against the lug insert. That essentially "sets" it. You'll find that you won't be able to loosen the lock nut with your fingers after it's set. You'll need the key again to "unlock" the rod.

AdamI

It's one of many solutions, but the simplest and most logical, IMO. It addresses the issue directly because the only thing missing in our situation (drums) in order for a threaded fastener (tension rod, in this case) to work properly by not backing out, is tightening it. You can't really "tighten" a tension rod enough for the system to work.
So, don't forget to put a bit of a turn on the tension rod with your key after you tune the drum and then finger tighten the lock nut against the lug insert. That essentially "sets" it. You'll find that you won't be able to loosen the lock nut with your fingers after it's set. You'll need the key again to "unlock" the rod.
Makes sense to me too.... It seemed so obvious I thought I was missing something. Like, it didn't even come up in my google searches.

Q: How do you lock down a threaded fastener on a drum?

A: Plastic fish and rubber bands.

The drummer jokes write themselves.

AdamI

Makes sense to me too.... It seemed so obvious I thought I was missing something. Like, it didn't even come up in my google searches.

Q: How do you lock down a threaded fastener on a drum?

A: Plastic fish and rubber bands.

The drummer jokes write themselves.
Thanks for the tips btw. I'm gonna try hunt some down this weekend.