Possible new drummer - ekit vs acoustic/mesh heads/LV cymbals vs acoustic/cymbals/mutes

Agreed. I actually use some exercises that are geared specifically toward coordinating both hands and foot (feet), that start at a simpler, more manageable place than learning paradiddles while playing quarters. Like, singles at various note rates, alternating between one hand and one foot, and so on. It works well.

Although the paradiddle sticking pattern (RLRRLRLL) is easy to learn, the technique is pretty complex, because each hand needs to execute a downstroke, two taps, and an upstroke. This combination requires considerable control over the wrists, fingers, and fulcrum. I usually have the student practicing each hand by itself, and then also removing some notes as a "builder" exercise, to really shine a light on the stick movements, and to build muscle memory. I wouldn't expect that student to do all of this work while also playing quarters on the bass drum. That can come a bit later.
Yup, in my world you’d get your singles and doubles in shape before you so much as glance at a paradiddle... :unsure:

Having played and owning an e-kit and kit fitted with silent mesh heads and silent cymbals, i prefer the latter over any e-kit.
Downside is you can't recorded anything. Well you can, but it hasn't got the sound obviously of a real kit. But the feel of mesh heads and the response of silent cymbals (like Zildjian L80) are IMO unsurpassed compared to electric cymbals. No e-hihat can match the nuances you get from a silent hi-hat.
The Remo Silent Stroke heads are great too. Nice feel you get out of them!
To further reduce noise i put some old heads on the reso side and cut a big circle out of them. That way you lose the resonance and fuller tom sound, but sound is not what you're after with this solution. I do keep the snare reso head an wires on the snare. It's a tad louder than the rest, but can be solved with using an O-ring on top. That way you still have that essential snare sound and also hear all the nuances.

Last edited:
Back