Ports? Number and location?

(Future)DWdrummer

I'm sure there's plenty of threads regarding this topic... But i wanna have some fresh opionions :)

How do the amount of ports and their locations on my bass head affect my kick drum's sound?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It subtracts. It takes away the boom and volume. It's easier to play ported if you bury your beater, but I don't recommend that tone, just my own personal preference. I used to port the kick drum my whole life, now I don't anymore. The surprising thing is on my gig recordings, the bass drum sounds fantastic, and you would think it's muffled because it sounds so punchy, when actually it's wide open.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
lately I haven't been porting except for when I am playing live in clubs with a mic in the kick. Simply because it is simpler for a person like me with limited sound engineer knowledge to get good bass drum sound without fussing about.
My kits that I am playing un-mic'd have full reso's.
I use either a 7mil or a 10mil standard front bass drum head with a felt strip to dampen it.
I really like it when I play my double pedals with a full front head. It makes it easier for me to play rolls with my feet.
When I port I use a 4" hole at 3 O-clock. I don't get fancy like some others do by using multiple holes, etc.
Porting isn't really a big deal to me. I don't give it much thought.
I just don't make the hole to large so as to negate the resonant bass drum head.

Last edited:

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I like the sound without a port but for me it's just one of those realities of life; it's simpler for the sound man when playing live and I never play un-mic'ed. So it's ported for me basically always. I use a smallish (4 or 5 inches so I can still get my hand in there) offset port usually around 4 or 8 O'clock. I also usually try to use a protector like a Holz or similar device (Gibraltar makes them now too which is what I have on my Club Date). This setup keeps some of the tone of the head so it still sounds great.

I also like to have easy access to the inside of the drum to make fast dampening adjustments as needed. So a port is advantageous for that.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Re: ported being simple for the sound guy....IDK, all the sound person has to do is back the mic off a little and position it half way between the center and the edge (more or less) I really don't see the issue, if the drum sounds good on it's own.

Of course you have soundguys who can only do things a certain way.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Re: ported being simple for the sound guy....IDK, all the sound person has to do is back the mic off a little and position it half way between the center and the edge (more or less) I really don't see the issue, if the drum sounds good on it's own.

There's isn't often room on stage to do this. The last thing you want is for the singer to step back and hit the mic. Seriously most often the port is worth the reduction in headaches. And yes, sound guys tend to be set in their ways. Honestly, having a port is just one less argument. Not that I've ever shown up with an un-ported kick. I wouldn't even try it.

whiteknightx

Silver Member
When I picked up my new kit last year, the head was unported, and I thought it looked pretty cool, and tried it for a while after playing my whole life on ported heads.

I guess I'm a bury the beater type player, because I was always getting tiny double strokes on every hit. I tried to change my technique but It's too ingrained in my playing, so I ended up putting in a kickport.

AudioWonderland

Silver Member

The issue is space onstage and all of the other things a mic in the middle of the stage picks up as loudly as the bass drum