Porter & Davies thrones anyone?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'm looking into these. Dang are they pricey! I've used a buttkicker before and really liked it.

Anyone use one of these? Your experiences?

used one once, loved it, a guy i know used one and used to come off stage feeling sick from it, so he stopped using it.

theyre nice, but as you said, theyre pricey. do you have anywhere or anyone you can try one with?

I've used a ButtKicker one before and I really liked it. I just don't know if the regular buttkicker can handle the rigors of the road (but I could be wrong).

Does it come with a roadie to set it up and strike it at every gig? 😅

I'm not being snarky, it seems like a cool product but more of a luxury item for touring artists. I can't imagine lugging one to a club show.

You really hve to experience it.

It translates what you play on the bass drum (from soft feathering to pumping kicks) so exeptional well.

The Buttkicker is basocally only on and off.

I did used it at smaller stages too because of its advantage. It isn’t as clumsy and dead heavy as the Buttkicker too.

Once I was dead sick, and because of the P&D I could do the show that got the band signed afterwards.

You really hve to experience it.

It translates what you play on the bass drum (from soft feathering to pumping kicks) so exeptional well.

I did used it at smaller stages too because of its advantage. It isn’t as clumsy and dead heavy as the Buttkicker too.

Once I was dead sick, and because of the P&D I could do the show that got the band signed afterwards.
I wasn’t being a smarta$$ - it seems intriguing. But justifying the $1300....that’s a tough one.

I've used a ButtKicker one before and I really liked it. I just don't know if the regular buttkicker can handle the rigors of the road (but I could be wrong).
I've been touring with my original ButtKicker Concert models since 2004, and have been extremely happy with them. No issues, except that one used to therm out now and then (I ran it kinda hot.) but I attached both to one throne seat, in parallel, and haven't had a problem since.

A powerful amp is necessary, not for volume so much, but so that it doesn't clip. Nothing is more annoying than playing harder and the thump feeling like it's getting quieter. I used to use a Crown K2 with mine, not sure what's being used now though (everything comes from monitor world.)

In case anyone thinks these might not be powerful, they're the same kickers used in IMAX theaters. 😮

_drum_buttkickers.jpg

FWIW, I liked the P&D at NAMM in a controlled, quiet environment. But I had the rep in Denver bring a setup for me to try while there on tour, and it just didn't compare to the ButtKickers. I struggled through one song during sound check before switching back. Forever.

Last edited:

Hmmm, mine are very dynamic! May be my gating settings - I don't use a gate on it.

IMHO a Porter and Davies is worth every cent. I use their BC Gigster and I am absolutely happy with it. Invaluable especially when playing with in-ears. I have also used “butt-kickers“ before, but the P&D plays in a completely different league. I would not miss it anymore.
It also improved my bass drum technique.

I've been touring with my original ButtKicker Concert models since 2004, and have been extremely happy with them. No issues, except that one used to therm out now and then (I ran it kinda hot.) but I attached both to one throne seat, in parallel, and haven't had a problem since.

A powerful amp is necessary, not for volume so much, but so that it doesn't clip. Nothing is more annoying than playing harder and the thump feeling like it's getting quieter. I used to use a Crown K2 with mine, not sure what's being used now though (everything comes from monitor world.)

In case anyone thinks these might not be powerful, they're the same kickers used in IMAX theaters. 😮

View attachment 110920

FWIW, I liked the P&D at NAMM in a controlled, quiet environment. But I had the rep in Denver bring a setup for me to try while there on tour, and it just didn't compare to the ButtKickers. I struggled through one song during sound check before switching back. Forever.

What’s up man! I dig the set up but just got a couple quick questions.

1. How exactly did you mount these to the throne? They seem to be drilled directly into the wooden frame of the seat. Does the end of the bolts not poke into your cheeks?? Lol. I def want to avoid the shoddy mounting bracket (that’s damn near impossible to find now anyways).

2. How did you finesse that cabling? Is that speaker wire to a female Speak-On cable? How did you manage to do that? Just an adapter? If so, how did you manage TWO transducers into ONE speak-on adapter?

3. How to do safety transport the seat, with the units permanently attached?

This seems like the ideal set up, and I would like to pursue this myself. Your help is definitely appreciated!

Last edited:
I love my P&D. I use it for every gig, big or small. My kick mic even picks up my toms and just makes the kit feel huge. I keep it turned down to just the point I can feel it. If I turn it up too high my back hurts by the end of the gig. Bermuda must have got a defective one or had some setting affecting the signal. Just a third of the way up will rattle your teeth. I played for years without being able to hear the bass drum live. The P&D just makes playing live so much more enjoyable. It’s well worth the hassle of hauling it around. You’re bringing a throne anyway. It’s just one more little bag for the amp. It’s probably the best piece of gear I’ve ever bought.

Back