Portable

Blue

Here's an portable solo I did on my DW kit the other day. Please tell me anything I could work on... technqiue, groove, whatever. The sound quality I got off of my digital camera is not great, although I think the bass drum sounds pretty good. Does anything look out of whack? I've been working on some serious technique problems and I FINALLY seem to be free from them, but I have some work still to do. All in all, I much happier with my playing, but want to know if there is anything visibly you could point out to me: Posture? Tension in my playing? Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swcz3i_zrcg

drumr0

Silver Member
Really good solo. Your drums sound good even over the digital camera. I would love to here a good mix with them though. Definitely DW's ! Mine sound very similar. I thought your playing was very good. I'm not really into solo's (mainly because I am terrible at them), but I enjoyed yours. The only thing I am wondering is what you are looking at to your left?

Also, just wondering why you have no front head on your kick? I have heard drums can go out of round without the heads on them.

Overall, Very good job!

Blue

Thank you everybody. Really. It means a lot to hear this from other drummers. I know there are a LOT of good drummers on here, so this nice to hear. Like I said on my first post, I seemed to have been able to fix some major and fundamental technique problems, but the process has just started, so I expect a lot of big improvements in my playing pretty soon, hopefully... I'm scared I'll continue bad habits, but I just have to stay relaxed. I know that now. Anyway...

I honestly don't know why I look to the left. I seem to have these tendencies to do things with my tongue, mouth, and head that I am not at all aware of when I am playing, like biting on my tongue. I look like a wierdo, but I don't care. I only discovered this after making video's of myself playing. Ii've always looked to the left. Maybe it's because when I was little, that's where I put the music stand to read the music off of? For stage presence, I realize that it's actually an important problem to fix, unless I just want to pay some hot girl to stand to the left of my drum set so I at least I feel justified always looking over there, and the audience won't think I'm so wierd.

The only reason the front on my basedrum is headless is because it has been broken for sometime, but I decided to actually take it off because I just got home from being away for a long time (I was living elsewhere for about 2 years). Now, I just have to buy a new fronthead, whenever that happens.

Thanks again! Cheers.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Great playing! I love solos that are built around grooves, and not just blistering fills and polyrhythms around the kit.

aydee

Platinum Member
Great Job, Blue!

To offer you something that you might want to work with, if anything at all, I'd say the fills could be tightened up a tad. The best way to do that is to record yourself often ( just for yourself ) and see if you are rushing or dragging anything.

Nice work , once again!

drumr0

Silver Member
I honestly don't know why I look to the left. I seem to have these tendencies to do things with my tongue, mouth, and head that I am not at all aware of when I am playing, like biting on my tongue. I look like a wierdo, but I don't care. I only discovered this after making video's of myself playing. Ii've always looked to the left. Maybe it's because when I was little, that's where I put the music stand to read the music off of? For stage presence, I realize that it's actually an important problem to fix, unless I just want to pay some hot girl to stand to the left of my drum set so I at least I feel justified always looking over there, and the audience won't think I'm so wierd.

I actually did think that maybe you were reading music or something like that. I have goofy habits when I play too that I can't seem to break. I always catch myself sucking on my lips, and I only do that while I am drumming. Go figure!

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Hey Blue, nice to see you back. I'll check out the video when I get home tonight, don't have sound here at work. I know you had some tendonitis problems due to technique, I've been working hard on that myself. Hope it's all improved for you!

Blue

Thank you! I'm really happy you all liked it. Zambizzi, I look forward to hearing back from you.

I think the 'tics' are just a coordination thing: in trying to do all of the things involved in drumming, it seems to compromise my ability to 'appear normal.' That is, neurologically, my face twitches because my mind is doing so much during drumming. I'm pretty sure. I could probably control it, but I'll have to practice.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Great stuff man! You sound really loose and that was some very tasty playing. You've got some great triplet/sextuplet fills worked out.

Nice work! How long have you been playing? Is the pain all gone for you now?

Drifter in the Dark

Silver Member
The thing that struck me the most about this solo was that you didn't over-use the double bass drum pedal! You used it tastefully, which is something that seems to be lacking with some drummers who use such a device.

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
Dang, you're quite good. I listened to your other solos, and they're all quite different! I really really liked the one titled "drum solo" the best. Very tasty stuff in there. Your feel is a tad rigid and i feel like you wanna rush all the time. But other than that, your groove is decent, your chops are amazing, your vocabulary is solid, and your solo is enjoyable!

My only critique is dont look so bored while your playing!!!

Blue

Thanks again. Possibly, that was the most honest feedback I've ever gotten in my life on my drum playing TheGroceryman, and I REALLY appreciate, because I totally agree with you! I do look bored when I play, and I have to stop that, and my feel is quite rigid, and I can't stand it, but I've been working on it, and I want to post a new solo I did recently, which I will, and hopefully you'll like it. I've had some technique issues for sure that I"ve really wanted to clear up, and tension is definitely one of my main problems (in life as well as drumming). I really appreciated your comment dude, and I won't forget it.

Thank you to Zambizzi and Drifter in the Dark as well. I don't really like to use the double bass anymore. I don't see much use for it. I just see all these drummers, most notably, John Bonham, who obviously didn't need it, and I figure, I can do the same. I wish I had a really fast foot. I think that's my biggest weakness, and I don't know how to fix it. My timing with my feet is just terrible, I think.

I've been playing since I was five or six. I never really took lessons, until I went to school for Jazz for one year, but I became so obsessed with technique that I ruined it, literally. I devoloped tendotits, and I left school. Now, I want to get back on the wagon, and I've been working on ways to just relax when I play. I don't feel any pain now. Thanks again.

Here is a much more recent solo I did, where I think I've learned to relax and have a better feel. Please, let me know what you think. Thanks!!!! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUgdQT6gL5U