Pork Pie Kit - Yay or Nay?

Andrewski

At the music shop I work at, we have a new-old stock Pork Pie kit that we've had since '04 that I've kept my eye on (casually) for a while now. After playing a friend's pork pie kit last night, I decided to set it up in store and play it today before a drum lesson and was very, very pleased with the sound it produced with minimal tuning.

Anyways, I say all this to say - I'm considering making an offer to the shop's owner about possibly purchasing these drums. Without going too far into detail, I can confidently say I could take them home for $1200 + tax ($1296.41 with NC Sales tax)

Included is a 16" floor, 12" mounted, and 22" kick (rather normal sizes)
Kick is 9-ply maple, toms are 6-ply maple.
Also thought I'd add that they are a Silver Sparkle Wrap, not a lacquer.

Attached are multiple pictures.

As of right now, I have 2 ddrum diatribe kits (technically one, same color, so I swap different pieces out at my own will. 20" and 24" kick, 14" snare, 10"& 13" Mounted toms, 2-14" floor toms, and a 16" floor, and this kit is a birch/basswood combo) and while I adore the sound of that kit, the Pork Pies would be in my opinion and end-all be-all for my drum purchases unless something else came along.

Anyways, for $1200 (with a slight chance of paying a small amount less less) is it worth snagging a custom made Pork Pie kit in your opinion?
While I do have the funds necessary to buy this kit outright, I'm still on the fence, as I have yet to make a purchase of this magnitude at one time throughout my musical equipment dealings.

You can also hear/ see this kit in The Almost's music video for No I Don't - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QFvQi6CheI

Last edited:

RobertM

Platinum Member
I'd say if you really like the Pork Pies, get 'em--especially if you can snag them for a deal. I think the PP's are better drums than DDrums. Bill Detamore does great work with bearing edges and his kits sound great.

By the way, I believe Pork Pie bass drums are 8 ply maple, not 9 ply. Toms are 6 ply, floors are 7 ply, and basses are 8 ply--they use the Noble & Cooley staggered ply system.

RobertM

Platinum Member
Go to Indoor Storm and look at their Pork Pie kits: http://www.indoorstorm.com/Acoustic_Drums_Pork_Pie_Drums-c-7_15.html You could probably do a fairly accurate comparison of your kit size to what Indoor offers and see what you are saving.

Pork Pie kits are great, though. Tim Alexander used them with Primus until '95, when he contracted with Tama--and a lot of folks feel his drumming sounds better on those early "Pork Pie" albums!

Bill does great work.

razorx

Platinum Member
Weren't these kits selling in guitar center a few years ago? It's a nice kit none the less.

Andrewski

The kits you saw in GC were probably the little squealer or a Pig-lite - one of their Taiwain-made mass production kits.
The kit I'm interested in purchasing is one of the hand made custom kits, with Detamore's signature on the inside of each shell.

We have $2,245.00 on the kit w/ an included 13"x3" snare that I'm not interested in purchasing at this time.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
The kits you saw in GC were probably the little squealer or a Pig-lite - one of their Taiwain-made mass production kits.
The kit I'm interested in purchasing is one of the hand made custom kits, with Detamore's signature on the inside of each shell.

We have $2,245.00 on the kit w/ an included 13"x3" snare that I'm not interested in purchasing at this time.
Just go & buy it tomorrow!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
The sound of these drums have you hooked, so go buy and enjoy! Once the sound of a drum kit, drum head, cymbal, snare or tom has you, your gone man. It sounds like this isn't a sudden decision but one you have pondered for a while too.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Hell yeah! Pork Pie customs are great kits and normally, very expensive. $1200 is a good deal and those are great sizes.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
That 16 has a Rim mount and the bass has a single hole and the photo has a double hole. Are those the same drums.?

Andrewski

Yeah man, I swapped back to the original head - I'm nit picky about having manufacturer's on my kick reso as long as I can get away with it.
And in the original photos, the 16" is upside down - hence, the rim is on the bottom and not as noticeable

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
I can confidently say I could take them home for $1200 + tax ($1296.41 with NC Sales tax)

From $1300 now to $1500 with the snare you weren't interested in?

Sounds like the numbers are/were tempting you, not the drums.

I say nay

RobertM

Platinum Member
Ah--a sweet 4x14 snare included! Pork Pie snares are pretty good. I've played a 4x14 and own a 7x14 custom maple.

Good purchase. Enjoy the Pork Pie tone!