Pork Pie Big Black Brass = Worldmax Brass Snare

Hi all,

Is it me or do these two snares look the same, just with different badges?! Obviously they could sound completely different, but after looking at more pictures, even the strainer is the same :s. What do you guys think?

Worldmax

Large_WMS%20BK-5014SH.jpg

Pork Pie

sn_r1_bigblack(1).jpg

I'm pretty sure there's a factory somewhere in China that churns out those shells with no badges on them so that any company can put their lugs, strainers, and logos on them. Mine happens to be a Pearl Sensitone. There's a also a Pacific Ace that looks exactly the same as the two you showed.

Basically, they're all black nickel over brass shells with seams. As Pocket pointed out, they're all Black Beauty knock-offs (but the Black Beauty is seamless and highly coveted) and all sound pretty much the same.

The good news is that they all sound amazing and they're affordable.

Hmm... yeah I think your right there!

Whats surprising is that the Worldmax is just over half the price of the Pork Pie here in the UK! Wonder if there is a reason other than the badge!? I'm looking into getting one!

Yeah from what I've read so far ever owner love it! I' m not sure whether I'd go 5" or 6.5". I assume 6.5" would give you a louder, fatter sound compared to the 5?

It is a WorldMax shell. Almost every custom builder uses W/M parts including these shells. You can buy them drilled or undrilled and while it's not a LM402, it's still a great buy. You can get the shells in a smooth finish or a "hammered" finish. Either shell makes for a great completed snare, but pretty much everyone uses these shells, lugs, hoops, spurs, etc...

This is my 6.5 x 14 Worldmax brass. Sorry about the crappy pic.
My regular snare has been a Maryland DC, and I needed a deep metal-of-some-variation, so I got a great deal and took it. Sounds like your everyday brass. Pop and volume is great. I could care less about the semantics of it's build. If I paid big bucks for a snare, than I'd be more concerned, but this is an average Joe. Plays great though.

55635.jpg

It is a WorldMax shell. Almost every custom builder uses W/M parts including these shells. You can buy them drilled or undrilled and while it's not a LM402, it's still a great buy. You can get the shells in a smooth finish or a "hammered" finish. Either shell makes for a great completed snare, but pretty much everyone uses these shells, lugs, hoops, spurs, etc...

Interesting stuff ! Thanks for the post :)

This is my 6.5 x 14 Worldmax brass. Sorry about the crappy pic.
My regular snare has been a Maryland DC, and I needed a deep metal-of-some-variation, so I got a great deal and took it. Sounds like your everyday brass. Pop and volume is great. I could care less about the semantics of it's build. If I paid big bucks for a snare, than I'd be more concerned, but this is an average Joe. Plays great though.

55635.jpg

Thanks for putting a pic up, it looks sweet :D! Deffo going to have to get down my local shop and test one out!

Cheers!

I assume 6.5" would give you a louder, fatter sound compared to the 5?

Yep, fatter/deeper tone.....a little more "bark" to the drum I find. I tend to favour a 6.5" depth as I think they can still be tuned right up to give you a nice pop like the 5", but the 5" can never give you deep tone that a 6.5" can.

Let your ear be your guide though. Try and play them both before you buy..

Yep, fatter/deeper tone.....a little more "bark" to the drum I find. I tend to favour a 6.5" depth as I think they can still be tuned right up to give you a nice pop like the 5", but the 5" can never give you deep tone that a 6.5" can.

Let your ear be your guide though. Try and play them both before you buy..

Wise words there, I'll certainly make sure I check them out! :) Thanks for the advice

thanks for posting up the pic of the worldmax, will pick one up on eBay today.

I bought mine from keith larsen, who used to run maryland drums, now its Mid Atlantic Drums. He let me buy it with a full return if I didn't like it, to include shipping it back and forth on his wallet. It came with a brand new 300 hazy, and a power center reverse dot, which are my choice heads. All next day air too. Keith is extremely fair and has quality stuff. definitely about the customer, just sayin'

I bought mine from keith larsen, who used to run maryland drums, now its Mid Atlantic Drums. He let me buy it with a full return if I didn't like it, to include shipping it back and forth on his wallet. It came with a brand new 300 hazy, and a power center reverse dot, which are my choice heads. All next day air too. Keith is extremely fair and has quality stuff. definitely about the customer, just sayin'

Can't say no to that really can you! :). I'm trying to find a shop near me with one in stock! Grrr

No, i couldn't. I had actually contacted Keith to get a replacement lug casing for my Maryland snare and he discussed options for other snares, sent me as many pics as i asked for, than worked out the deal.

God luck with your search.

I have a worldmax black dawg with the brass stick chopper hoops and it is a great drum,and very affordable,and I have never seen one used.

I have a worldmax black dawg with the brass stick chopper hoops and it is a great drum,and very affordable,and I have never seen one used.

Hm.. no neither have I. I've being looking for some recordings or videos just so I can hear it in action... Not found much for the Worldmax but theres a few things for the Pork Pie version. I found Thomann have recorded the Pork Pie, that's quite cool. They've done it for the Black Beauty too so it's quite interesting to compare!

Back