Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize

Auspicious

Silver Member
This 17 minutes progressive work of music is so good, I share it for those who don't know it.

I discovered Porcupine Tree a couple of months ago only and frankly that album, Fear of A Blank Planet, wow! A real gem.

and to augment...

I discovered PT back in 2009 after reading an article about Gavin Harrison in Modern Drummer. Fear of a Blank Planet was the first album of theirs I bought, quickly followed by Deadwing and In Absentia within a span of about 3 days. Porcupine Tree (as well as Steven Wilson's solo work) has since become my favorite artist.

Here are a few favorites to check out (aside from FOABP, which you already know).

Off the DEADWING album:
  • Shallow
  • Lazarus
  • Halo
  • Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
  • The Start of Something Beautiful

From IN ABSENTIA:
  • Blackest Eyes
  • Trains
  • The Sound of Muzak

From THE INCIDENT:
  • Occam's Razor/The Blind House
  • Time Flies
  • Octane Twisted
  • I Drive the Hearse
  • Bonnie the Cat

That last one, Bonnie the Cat, is a particular favorite of mine. Here's Gavin performing it, with a brief explanation of his groove:

Last edited:
Gavin is such a brilliant player. So creative and tasteful. Flawless chops.

Porcupine Tree is one of my all time favorite bands. Discovered them around 2008, similar to TK-421.

Steven Wilson's solo material is stunning. He's made some masterpieces, a statement not made lightly. My favorite is probably The Raven that Refused to Sing, followed by Hand. Cannot. Erase. Both of those albums have Marco Minneman behind the drums, who is of course another total monster. Gavin does play drums on Wilson's first two solo albums (Insurgentes and Grace for Drowning), both of which are awesome.

Enjoy discovering this music!

Gavin is such a brilliant player. So creative and tasteful. Flawless chops.

Porcupine Tree is one of my all time favorite bands. Discovered them around 2008, similar to TK-421.

Steven Wilson's solo material is stunning. He's made some masterpieces, a statement not made lightly. My favorite is probably The Raven that Refused to Sing, followed by Hand. Cannot. Erase. Both of those albums have Marco Minneman behind the drums, who is of course another total monster. Gavin does play drums on Wilson's first two solo albums (Insurgentes and Grace for Drowning), both of which are awesome.

Enjoy discovering this music!
Couldn't agree more! I now anxiously await every SW release, and have seen him in concert (as a solo act) 5 times. First with Chad Wackerman filling in for Marco Minnemann, then every other time with Craig Blundell. Every show was so phenomenal!

And now that I think about it more, I believe it was the summer of 2008, not 2009, that I discovered PT. So we discovered them right around the same time.

Another (somewhat similar) band that I massively got into is The Pineapple Thief. And that was before Gavin Harrison joined them! Now with Gavin on board, I think they're just about neck-and-neck with SW/PT. I saw them last December and they were simply incredible.

I discovered PT through a strange album : Metanoia, and the Sky Moves Sideways. Since then, I followed their work and Steven Wilsons albums, which are as great as they can be. I also dig through Gavin Harrison other band, The Pineapple Thief. We can enjoy the subtile drumming of Harrison, though I think Pineapple Thief misses something, a milestone or something, still it's a pleasure to listen.
The PT albums Fear of a Blank Planet and In Abstentia are pure Gold. The Raven that refuses to sing is also a must-have.

Last edited:
I discovered PT through a strange album : Metanoia, and the Sky Moves Sideways. Since then, I followed their work and Steven Wilsons albums, which are as great as they can be. I also dig through Gavin Harrison other band, The Pineapple Thief. We can enjoy the subtile drumming of Harrison, though I think Pineapple Thief misses something, a milestone or something, still it's a pleasure to listen.
The PT albums Fear of a Blank Planet and In Abstentia are pure Gold. The Raven that refuses to sing is also a must-have.
When the animated video for The Raven that Refused to Sing first debuted, I probably watched it at least a dozen times a day for the first couple weeks. An absolutely brilliant yet haunting combination of music, lyrics, musicianship and animation that's truly a work of art.

For those who haven't seen it:

I got to know his playing properly in December 2018 when someone in my work put on the Arriving Somewhere... DVD, and since then its been like, a brand new burst of inspiration every single day, and I've RINSED through every PT/TPT album - I don't know of anyone else (except Jeff Porcaro) who really grabbed my ear that way with their playing.

I saw Gavin 3 times last year (twice with Pineapple Thief, once with Crimson) and every time was incredible! It's great because his playing hasn't only brought me him, but new bands and a new genre as well.

So much thanks to him for his inspirational playing!

I discovered PT back in 2009 after reading an article about Gavin Harrison in Modern Drummer. Fear of a Blank Planet was the first album of theirs I bought, quickly followed by Deadwing and In Absentia within a span of about 3 days. Porcupine Tree (as well as Steven Wilson's solo work) has since become my favorite artist.

Here are a few favorites to check out (aside from FOABP, which you already know).

Off the DEADWING album:
  • Shallow
  • Lazarus
  • Halo
  • Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
  • The Start of Something Beautiful

From IN ABSENTIA:
  • Blackest Eyes
  • Trains
  • The Sound of Muzak

From THE INCIDENT:
  • Occam's Razor/The Blind House
  • Time Flies
  • Octane Twisted
  • I Drive the Hearse
  • Bonnie the Cat

That last one, Bonnie the Cat, is a particular favorite of mine. Here's Gavin performing it, with a brief explanation of his groove:

Gavin Harrison is a drum master, that was another very good video, thank you for sharing it

I will look into these suggested albums.

I got to know his playing properly in December 2018 when someone in my work put on the Arriving Somewhere... DVD, and since then its been like, a brand new burst of inspiration every single day, and I've RINSED through every PT/TPT album - I don't know of anyone else (except Jeff Porcaro) who really grabbed my ear that way with their playing.

I saw Gavin 3 times last year (twice with Pineapple Thief, once with Crimson) and every time was incredible! It's great because his playing hasn't only brought me him, but new bands and a new genre as well.

So much thanks to him for his inspirational playing!

That is a great DVD! Need to order it too someday. The song 'Arriving somewhere but not here' is a great song as well.

I believe below was the first vid i ever saw of the man... great song as well! Orchidia from the same EP is a great instrumental song!
Was also the reason i wanted an 18" Crash of Doom so bad and was lucky enough to snatch one (and sold it a few years later, what i still regret)

Those MD Festival videos are where I first saw Gavin and I was hooked. The sound that he gets from that 12" snare is just unbelievable! I would love to figure out how he is getting such a great sound from such a small drum. A then band-mate then turned me on to Porcupine Tree's music. Great stuff!

Those MD Festival videos are where I first saw Gavin and I was hooked. The sound that he gets from that 12" snare is just unbelievable! I would love to figure out how he is getting such a great sound from such a small drum. A then band-mate then turned me on to Porcupine Tree's music. Great stuff!

Well it seems like you can ask him directly. :ROFLMAO: I feel like a dummy a bit because I published this thread and learned AFTER about the following thread where Mr. Harrison is discussing directly with fans.

Well it seems like you can ask him directly. :ROFLMAO: I feel like a dummy a bit because I published this thread and learned AFTER about the following thread where Mr. Harrison is discussing directly with fans.

I have seen his thread and he really does a great job of answering questions. Maybe someday I will have to skim through it and see if anyone has asked about that.

I have seen his thread and he really does a great job of answering questions. Maybe someday I will have to skim through it and see if anyone has asked about that.

Yes

I actually have a question for later, in post #4, the Youtube video, at around 1:00 he says that we usually don't put a snare on 1 and 2 in Jazz and Funk and usually the snare is on put a snare on 2 and 4. I don't know about funk but Jazz, it's something I want to understand carefully.

He is on to something but I don't know what yet.

PT is great stuff. I wish I had known about them when they were active. Steven Wilson says there is no way they will ever start up again. I like much of his solo work, but he's taken an odd turn toward pop recently.

I saw Pineapple Thief live shortly before shutdown and it was probably the best live show I've seen. Not just because they did a great job, but they are not all that popular (sadly) so I could see them in a small venue and watch the musicians from 20 feet away. A treat to see such talent close up. They have a new album coming out BTW.

PT is great stuff. I wish I had known about them when they were active. Steven Wilson says there is no way they will ever start up again. I like much of his solo work, but he's taken an odd turn toward pop recently.

I saw Pineapple Thief live shortly before shutdown and it was probably the best live show I've seen. Not just because they did a great job, but they are not all that popular (sadly) so I could see them in a small venue and watch the musicians from 20 feet away. A treat to see such talent close up. They have a new album coming out BTW.

I will check that out Pineapple Thief.

Does Gavin use a 12 inch snare? He has a 12 and a 14 signature snare but I vaguely remember something about the 12 being used on some if not most of those classic PT recordings.

Back