Please stop talking...

s1212z

Silver Member
My impression of this phenomenon is that the person asking the question is usually looking for validation of their own opinion rather than seeking an objective second opinion they want to listen to. In many cases it is harmless but it is bad manners, I don't like it either. They would be much better framing it like "Hey, this is what I think...do you agree?" rather than "What do you think? No, I think it's like this instead"; pretty much the same conversation content but an entirely different conversation experience. Communication styles can completely alter a social interaction in many ways.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Expert is a layperson term that someone is knowledgeable or published on a topic or some ability to do something challenging. It doesn’t mean they are right or know everything. One expert doesn’t really mean a lot because you can go to a big meeting/convention of them and find little agreement on details LOL.

I find some people like to be on top or in control- so know the most, blah, blah , blah. . I have friends and family that do it, and I’m happy to play along with their delusions. Even if they say something i know is factually wrong I just say nuttin. When I had my melanoma my neighbor told me “If you get skin cancer melanoma is the one you want to have”. Ding ding ding No but I just smiled I’m no educator now.

Last edited:

Rock Salad

Egg them on, I say. Keep them babbling till they tun out of steam. It's usually quite humorous, chances are they will get mad and walk away or buy you drinks all night. Eventually their need for your agreement will render them more agreeable

I-P

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Sorry bro. I mean no offence, but I love a laugh and this meme does it for me.

To your life crisis.... Yeah my wife agrees with you when I just readout aloud your post to her.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Sorta drum related, but also life in general.
Over the last year, I've seen a growing trend in how my interaction with people have gone. I'll be asked by someone who knows I'm a drummer a drum related question. When I give the answer, I'm then confronted by that same person telling me I'm only partly correct. Then they proceed to give me "the rest of it" just to (I guess) show me that they know more than me.

And it's not only drumming subjects. It seems like it's everything these days. I just don't know quite enough to satisfy the person I'm talking to and they have no issue with telling me either how I don't know what I'm talking about or how wrong I am.
Yet they're the ones who ASKED ME!!!

I'm really starting to hate people more and more these days & I don't like myself for it. Yet I see no end in sight. :confused:
My wife works in a grocery store. You wouldnt believe (or maybe you would) some of the dumb 💩 people ask/tell her.

There is a guy who cant read who shops there. His wife sends him in. Without a list. He seeks out my wife for help shopping. He was looking for diet cheerios one day. You know, the ones with the picture of the heart on the box. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

One lady got banned from the store because she refused to leave her Cockatoo at home. For those who dont own a bird, they poop about every 10 minutes. Cockatoos are big.

Lots of "I can get this cheaper at Walmarx" but will never go there people.

I told her they need to hire me to be "undercover asshole". Whenever stupid people start losing their 💩 on employees, I get to confront them as another shopper and tell them to shut up and why. I do that anyways when needed, so might as well get paid for it.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
There is a guy who cant read who shops there. His wife sends him in. Without a list. He seeks out my wife for help shopping. He was looking for diet cheerios one day. You know, the ones with the picture of the heart on the box. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
He then goes home and posts as an expert all over the Internet and is praised for his amazing insight!

Stroman

Platinum Member
I told her they need to hire me to be "undercover asshole". Whenever stupid people start losing their 💩 on employees, I get to confront them as another shopper and tell them to shut up and why. I do that anyways when needed, so might as well get paid for it.

You just described my dream job. Calling assholes out for being assholes.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Expert is a layperson term that someone is knowledgeable or published on a topic or some ability to do something challenging. It doesn’t mean they are right or know everything. One expert doesn’t really mean a lot because you can go to a big meeting/convention of them and find little agreement on details LOL.

I find some people like to be on top or in control- so know the most, blah, blah , blah. . I have friends and family that do it, and I’m happy to play along with their delusions. Even if they say something i know is factually wrong I just say nuttin. When I had my melanoma my neighbor told me “If you get skin cancer melanoma is the one you want to have”. Ding ding ding No but I just smiled I’m no educator now.

i do the same for the most part, but I used to be the guy who would "fight that fight"...

Smile and Nod

I can't change their ignorance or arrogance, but karma will one day

ToneT

Silver Member
Take heed, Cmdr!
I'm one of those people who hardly ever gets asked a question to begin with.
I'm supposed to just be quiet and never even get a word in whilst all the know-it-alls, egomaniacs, masters of narcissism, wannabes, musicians, actors, and other mental-hernia sufferers spew their jubilant, time-wasting bullshit misinformation.

There are so many out there with their hands full of shit while telling you "Look what I almost stepped in."

Stroman

Platinum Member
Cmdr. Ross...if this ever happens again...at mid sentence just Pat them on the side of the arm and say thanks man..then just rudely walk away.
I was thinking pat them on the front of the face with a high-velocity fist, but your idea is probably better. 😁😅

WuHan Solo

This is sometimes referred to as the Dunning-Kruger effect, in psychology, a cognitive bias whereby people with limited knowledge or competence in a given intellectual or social domain greatly overestimate their own knowledge or competence in that domain relative to objective criteria or to the performance of their peers or of people in general.

And when that person is a bass player, it's known as the Gallien-Krueger effect. :)

opentune

Platinum Member
Same as it ever was. There have always been people who ask a question .... and then contest your answer.
What social media has changed or destroyed are the attention spans and patience to have any kind of lengthy conversation or exchange without resorting to some factoid on a smartphone.
Confuscious would have a difficult time today.
Its not healthy if you feel you're hating people for this. Maybe change you're perspective and simply not cast 'pearls on the swine' (so to speak). It will take patience.

ravenson

" why do you ask ? " will either stop the potential nuisance or steer it into a more personable direction . I have the ability to speak in Polish , which invariably leads to humorous results . Ideological fantasists especially ,feel awkward with humor ...

Last edited:

planoranger

Has anyone ever gotten the World Famous, "Do you know what you should do <Insert unsolicited advice here>?" When, of course, that person has never done what he/she is suggesting. Then they get insulted when you don't take their advice, which you didn't ask for in the first place..

WuHan Solo

Has anyone ever gotten the World Famous, "Do you know what you should do <Insert unsolicited advice here>?" When, of course, that person has never done what he/she is suggesting. Then they get insulted when you don't take their advice, which you didn't ask for in the first place..

All the time. And you're right........ I'm not convinced they've ever actually gone and F'd themselves. :unsure:;)