Please reccommend me a 4pc. kit for gigs!

Muse FTW

OK, so I already have a nice 6pc. Tama Superstar kit at my home but I need a 4pc. kit (whether or not snare is included) for gigs for my band since my set is too large for me to lug around.

Only one problem:
While I would like a nice sounding kit, I CANNOT spend over $1000.
I don't care if the snare is included or not, as I plan to get a snare separately (either Ludwig Black Beauty or Supra-Phonic, maybe Mapex Black Panther)

Also, having equipment is not necessary (I have my own)

I primarily want to know what 4pc. kits you guys have bought for gigs and have been satisfied with!

Thanks in advance!

What's wrong with taking your current kit, but leaving two pieces at home?

6 -2 = 4pc

Not a bad idea.

But if you want a separate kit, I had a 4-piece Gretsch Renown that I picked up for less than $1,000 that had a great sound for playing live. At GC's, I've seen they have a 3-piece Pearl Masters kit for $899 (you said you have your snare) that's a great deal. I think they were originally selling for double that. I also saw they have a Pork Pie Little Squealer kit that's been discounted to less than $1000. They're a little too punchy for me, but they look great. Finally, I've seen a lot of Tama Starclassic Performers floating around--all discounted because that line has been discontinued. Those are all great kits, and I think they'd all be a definite step up from what you have.

These were all new kits. You can probably get a better deal if you go used. Recently, I've seen 4-piece Yamaha Oak Customs and (magnificent but, sadly, now defunct) Maryland Drum Company sets on Craigslist just locally for less than $1000, an unbelievable savings over new. My only advice for people buying used is make sure you really do your homework before buying, particularly the different lines that companies put out. Yamaha is Yamaha, for example, but there's a huge difference between a Stage Custom and an Oak Custom. I've seen used, entry-level Tama Rockstar kits being advertised for more than the cost of new Starclassics, so I guess the sellers are either naive themselves or are searching for a naive buyer.

I'm a 4 piece player, gig or no gig, i prefer 4 piece.

Ddrum sells a Dominion Maple 4 piece kit which is really nice for a good price.
Features:
*100% 6 ply maple shells
*22"x20" bass drum for a nice cannon sound
*Dual 45-degree bearing edges
*Die-cast hoops
*Gloss lacquered finish with matching bass drum hoops
The sizes are: 22x20 bass, 12x8 rack tom, 16x14 floor tom, 13x7 Maple Snare.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...m-Dominion-Maple-4piece-Shell-Pack?sku=489718

Very nice kit for the price...hope it helps :]

Ummm...I play a Tama Superstar 4 Pc.

When I bought it, it was a 5 Pc. I just simply took off one of the rack toms. It's a pretty simple solution to your problem.....?.......
My superstar four pc. is 18x22 Bass, 9x12 Rack, 11x14 hanging Floor.

What are the sizes in your 6 Pc. setup?

Ludwig Centennial 4-piece shell packs:

choose between 20",22" & 24" kits

20" depth bass drums with 12"tom,16" floor-tom and either 13"(20" kit) or 14" snare drums

all-maple North American shells,mini-classic lugs and 2 lacquer sparkle or 2 lacquer finishes.

they cost between $870-$1065 depending on set-up. there beautiful kits I've seen one up

close really nice bearing edges and quality for the price. I'm getting one as soon as I get

my tax return and it's strictly gonna be my gig kit.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

Bonzolead

My Friend as a 14-pc kit. He brings only a 4-pc kit for blues night at small venues. It's not rocket science...just take less drums.

Well I thought about taking just 4 of my shells BUT when my band comes over, we practice in the unfinished basement of my house.
I can't leave my current set down there because it's freezing down there (I heard that the wood would warp).

I want a set that isn't that expensive that I can just leave in the basement without worrying that my nice 6pc. set has been distorted and ruined.

Thanks again.

Well I thought about taking just 4 of my shells BUT when my band comes over, we practice in the unfinished basement of my house.
I can't leave my current set down there because it's freezing down there (I heard that the wood would warp).

I want a set that isn't that expensive that I can just leave in the basement without worrying that my nice 6pc. set has been distorted and ruined.

Thanks again.

Cold won't hurt the drums as long as you don't heat them up quickly.
It depends where you live but insulated basments usually hover around 50 degrees which is fine for drums and perfect for storing wine.

I bought a vintage 1970 Ludwig kit as my gigging kit. 12/14/20 for about $300. Classic and hip, warm and powerful, a pleasure to play and hear. They work for rock, jazz, blues...whatever you throw at them.

I'd recommend buying used, and consider vintage drums in your search...

Cold won't hurt the drums as long as you don't heat them up quickly.
It depends where you live but insulated basments usually hover around 50 degrees which is fine for drums and perfect for storing wine.

Really? Well, my basement runs from the 40s - 50s but fluctuates a lot in the winter, so I just want to play it safe.

I bought a vintage 1970 Ludwig kit as my gigging kit. 12/14/20 for about $300. Classic and hip, warm and powerful, a pleasure to play and hear. They work for rock, jazz, blues...whatever you throw at them.

I'd recommend buying used, and consider vintage drums in your search...

Really?

Any time I look for a good vintage Ludwig, they always seem to be in the $1000 range.
Even more if they happen to be the 12/14/20 set up.

Really?

Any time I look for a good vintage Ludwig, they always seem to be in the $1000 range.
Even more if they happen to be the 12/14/20 set up.

On eBay, yes, they can and do go for that much.

At local drum shops and on craigslist, around $800 or so is about right. I just happened to catch a really good deal.

Thanks again.

Why not buy a used set?

My son picked up a 5-piece Tama Imperialstar (red color wrap) kit for $175 last year. The darn thing is in primo condition spite its age, though the snare turned to be a cheap steel drum. No matter...'cuz my son owns gobs of snare drums and his collection ranges from Legend Phosphor Bronze (x3), Pork Pies, Yamahas, C&Cs, to Tamas (of course)...

-elcid

Thanks again.
BOY, DO I HAVE A KIT FOR YOU!!!!

Peace Legion "Celebrity" drum kit.
20x16 / 12x9 / 15x13 / 13x5.

Probably get a good deal on one, as I just saw some mailer from Peace (dated 1-31-09), to their dealers, that they're having (had?) a clearance special on the Celeb's, so you might be able to get one for a.....song (?) (sorry).
MSRP was $519.99, 3 years ago when the line was introduced, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell new for around $300-350 range and if you consider that Peace just did a dealer clearance offer on those, I wouldn't be surprised to see the price of a complete, new kit, at under $300, OTD.

Comes with all the usual hardware, although you might want to swap that for the #4 meal deal as McD's and get something a little...hardier (depends on how you play, though. Supplied hardware might work fine for you).

Now mind you, these aren't your Superstars, by any stretch of the imagination, but with a set of your preferred batter side aftermarket heads and some judicious tuning, they might be just what you're looking for in a new kit.

...heres a pic...

Attachments

• Peace Legion Celebrity kit 20-12-15-13x5.jpg
    Peace Legion Celebrity kit 20-12-15-13x5.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 195
What's wrong with taking your current kit, but leaving two pieces at home?

6 -2 = 4pc

Sorry to take the easy road on this but,

I ditto this idea. Simple solution to a simple request.

;-)

Though...

I love the Peace kit above!

Nice!! :-0

Back