Please help me choose a new snare!

Kelly!

I'm in the market for a new snare. My budget is around $200-$250 not including tax. The best marketplace online, to me, seems to be guitarcenter.com 's used section. I'm only interested in wooden snare drums. I am open to any depth and diameter. I'm looking for a tight, hip-hop sound. I'm looking for great attack and a full bodied sound. Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance!

Kelly!

Yeah... I understand the dissent from guitar center but you can't deny the great prices on used gear... Well, most of it anyway. I'm not looking for new because I can't get very far with $250 buying new. If I go used I can get twice as far

RickP

Gold Member
Try and find a used Pearl Omar Hakim model snare - African mahogany 13" x5" shell , beautiful clear gloss lacquer. These sound great tuned up or down. Single ply heads or two ply heads sound good on these.

Kelly!

Try and find a used Pearl Omar Hakim model snare - African mahogany 13" x5" shell , beautiful clear gloss lacquer. These sound great tuned up or down. Single ply heads or two ply heads sound good on these.
Those have crossed my mind! I like those and perhaps the chad smith signature snare. I just don't wanna get caught up in a gimmick type of snare... I was curious as to whether they were worth their weight.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
You can get a new Tama SLP snare for around $250 depending on which model you choose. The 6.5x13 steel model you can get for $219 and those sound really good.

Kelly!

The ocdp and tama slp sound really nice. I've thought about those and it sounds like my options are within the bounds that I thought they were. Any experience with these two?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The ocdp and tama slp sound really nice. I've thought about those and it sounds like my options are within the bounds that I thought they were. Any experience with these two?
There are several SLP models to choose from. I just mentioned that 6.5x13 because I actually had it at one point and it cracks. It also sounds good tuned down too. It's a good versatile drum. But the prices go up from there depending on which one you like. Guys on here really like the maple one, but that one is in the 300 range. All of them are solid and reliable.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I have a snare with wood hoops and I always felt like I had to be careful with them... and rimshots sound better on metal hoops.

I'd get something with die cast hoops for that controlled sorta sound.

I've played that 13x9 Zardoss posted and it was really cool.

Same with the tama 13x7 g maple.

I'd hit the drum shops if I was you, not ask on a forum.

Kelly!

I have a snare with wood hoops and I always felt like I had to be careful with them... and rimshots sound better on metal hoops.

I'd get something with die cast hoops for that controlled sorta sound.

I've played that 13x9 Zardoss posted and it was really cool.

Same with the tama 13x7 g maple.

I'd hit the drum shops if I was you, not ask on a forum.
Yeah that's the plan. I just thought I'd start here. Thanks for the help though. Damn near all of my strokes on the snare are rimshots. So ill have to rethink my options if wood hoops don't offer the projection of cast hoops. I thought maybe it would offer a more full bodied sound. I have a shine kit with wood hoops but I've never played a snare with wood hoops. As backwards as that seems lol. I'm gonna do more research on the g maple. Those seem to be recommended the most so far. Thanks again for the suggestions!

zarrdoss

Gold Member
I have played that PDP it is a nice well made drum and sounds nice but I am not a fan of wood hoops or snares shallower than 6.5". That last snare I posted the PDP 20 ply I have one and it is well made and sounds great. The Tama G maple 7 x 13 sounds fantastic, the OCDP I have with new heads and wires is a close second.
Its too bad Pearl does not make that 13 x 9 snare anymore, but that 13 x 7 one I posted on e-bay does sound great.

RickP

Gold Member
Those have crossed my mind! I like those and perhaps the chad smith signature snare. I just don't wanna get caught up in a gimmick type of snare... I was curious as to whether they were worth their weight.
Kelly,
The Omar Hakim is a professional model snare drum , good wood and quality fittings. The Chad Smith snare IMHO is garbage, shrill and harsh sounding, I have heard budget snares from other manufacturers that sound better than the Chad Smith snare. Stay away from this snare. If you want a great metal shell snare in your budget get a Ludwig Acrolite. You will thank me.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Yeah, I've got the chad smith snare and it's no trophy. It's not terrible but if you're excited about a new snare you can do better lol.

I just went to the drum shop before and had a quick hit on the g maple 13x7... there was a 14" maple pearl masters snare next to it which was much nicer in my opinion, it had re-rings and was prob 6.5 deep. 14's are just better.

Kelly!

Yeah, I've got the chad smith snare and it's no trophy. It's not terrible but if you're excited about a new snare you can do better lol.

I just went to the drum shop before and had a quick hit on the g maple 13x7... there was a 14" maple pearl masters snare next to it which was much nicer in my opinion, it had re-rings and was prob 6.5 deep. 14's are just better.
Great suggestion! I just remembered that I have heard the pearl masters in a recent recording and it sounded really nice. Time to check it out live!

drummaman1

I thought the budget was $200. Steve Jordan sig Yamaha??? Maybe Ebay for one of those, but doubtful...

Wood hoops have gotten a bad rap of sorts. Yes they will wear out with constant rimshots...if you're using Marching Band sticks. Most other sticks you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on them. They have to be strong to be able to take/ put so much tension on the snare head! It sounds like don't buy a wood hoop drum the hoop will shatter like an egg on first rimshot!

Obviously, that last comment was hyperbole. As for rim shots sound better on metal hoop drums than wood hoop, that's up to the drummer. There are drums I had the chance to play with wood hoops that I absolutely LOVED. And the same for metal rims. And vice versa. It's hard to generalize.

For snares to consider, check out SLP. G Maple is a little out of the budget, but the steel snare isn't. Pearl MCX Maple is a great workhorse snare, and surprisingly affordable. There are drums three times the price of the MCX and the MCX sounds and plays loads better. It's a wise investment. Pearl Sensitone snares are worth a listen also.

I am reticent to recommend 13" snares as a main snare, though my reasons are strictly mine. If Benny Greb and Steve Jordan can make it work, who am I to say not to have one?? I find more of a tuning range and context range in more snares that are 14" vs. 13" It's been my experience, take it or leave it.

drum4fun27302

Gold Member
The budget is 200-250. A used Steve Jordan snare on eBay is about 250-300. Look for one and you won't regret it . Can tune it low, high, in between , got the pop and the depth and yes, it is a 13 X6.5 .