Please Don't Do This

8Mile

Platinum Member
Max does that a few times in For Big Sid and I just can't hate on it
Heh. Yeah, I was just being silly.

Reading through this thread, I think back to Miles' autobiography, where he described an argument with Bird, who said you could play a D in the fifth bar of a Bb blues (I think that was the scenario, anyway). Miles disagreed, but then at some point Lester Young did it (although Miles said he kind of bent the note, IIRC) and Bird gave Miles an "I told you so" look.

So I subscribe to the "There are no wrong notes" philosophy, as long as they're being played by a master who knows what s/he's doing. And this applies to cymbal sustain also, I reckon.

Liebe zeit

Silver Member
So I subscribe to the "There are no wrong notes" philosophy, as long as they're being played by a master who knows what s/he's doing. And this applies to cymbal sustain also, I reckon.
I agree with this. It really depends on the music. Stopping on a sixpence can be just right for a tight soul tune, and loads of sustain can be just the right thing in a noisy alt-rock situation, but put a sharp stop on the cymbals in the wrong place and it sounds like cheesy hair rock tune