Playing with Horns.... Am I Right!?

mattmc3287

So, I joined a new band recently. The core of the band has been together for quite some time and they have rotated various brass players in and out over the years, but they always play with at least a sax and most often with sax, trumpets, and trombone. I played my first gig with them last weekend and it was my first time playing with horns ever (brass didn't come to rehearsals, they are just reading and playing). It is SO much different playing with a horn section and I cannot wait to do it again! Also, thinking we need to add a sax player to my 5 piece classic rock band now as well. It just adds so much!

Agreed. Horns just make for a great wall of sound feel that can really push a band. My previous classic rock band would book five or six dates per year with a horn section and it always sounded amazing.

I play with a brass quintet, and the feel is REALLY different. They play waaay ahead of the beat, and it’s a challenge for me, because I like to hang out way behind the beat.

Nice playing. You nailed all the accents and kept the time moving forward. That's a fun song to play. Yes, horns are a lot of fun to play with. I've only worked a few times with horn sections, but have worked with lone sax players for years. We did a July 4th concert last month with a young sax player who was recommended to us. He never rehearsed with us, but played great, and we will use him again when the gig demands a sax player.

When I was in my 20's, we were looking for a solo guitarist as my guitarist singer was ne'er practicing his solo, he was great at rhythm but not solo. So, after a little gig at my 20's anniversary, he told me that his band was looking for a keys player and that they had a gig in one month, well paid, 10 people, plus brass section. I learnt 80 songs in one months cause it was a ball party band and we were playing for the full wedding, 5/6 hours. One female, one male singer, drums, guitarist, bassist and me only ofr 3 Pratices and st the last one, trumpet, trombone and sax came in for the Fifa L rehearsal. That was awesome so much that, anytime I could do brass on my funk band, I do it. Not the same thing, I know but with good samples and when you know how to write scores for horns, thus, how to play them and which chords to play, you can do a decent job and people like it a lot. But I know, brass section is crazy good, but people have to pay for 3 more persons!!!

Yes, a brass section can take things to another level but I used to play in a band with 2 sax players.. One played in tune but had bad timing. The other had good timing but didn't play in tune!

Nice playing. You nailed all the accents and kept the time moving forward. That's a fun song to play. Yes, horns are a lot of fun to play with. I've only worked a few times with horn sections, but have worked with lone sax players for years. We did a July 4th concert last month with a young sax player who was recommended to us. He never rehearsed with us, but played great, and we will use him again when the gig demands a sax player.
It would be awesome to be able to just show up with a binder of sheet music and be like "Ight, I'm good let's go." I mean, I guess it makes sense that they don't really need to rehearse with the band given that the band is good and tight and plays the songs pretty close to the record. Still, I was pretty nervous going into the night having never played with half the people on stage. Oh, they added a conga player at the last minute as well which was also a first for me and also awesome.

Nothing like real a real horn section. Nothing.

Really enjoyed your playing, especially the way you handle the hi-hat. :)
Thank you! I LOVE those hats. I watched I don't know how many videos and read I don't know how many reviews before pulling the trigger on them and I don't see myself ever buying another pair. 15in K Lights for those interested.

I hear you - I play in a 21 piece Big Band ( 4 trombones , 5 saxes and 5 trumpets ) - it is fun playing with all the horns . Trumpets tend to rush , Trombones drag and Saxes are all over the map atypically from my experience .

My Rock trio frequently has a sax player sit in too .
21 piece 🤯😍 That's so cool, man! Are y'all doing more "Jazz standard" type stuff like what one would hear in the movie Whiplash or what?

When I was in my 20's, we were looking for a solo guitarist as my guitarist singer was ne'er practicing his solo, he was great at rhythm but not solo. So, after a little gig at my 20's anniversary, he told me that his band was looking for a keys player and that they had a gig in one month, well paid, 10 people, plus brass section. I learnt 80 songs in one months cause it was a ball party band and we were playing for the full wedding, 5/6 hours. One female, one male singer, drums, guitarist, bassist and me only ofr 3 Pratices and st the last one, trumpet, trombone and sax came in for the Fifa L rehearsal. That was awesome so much that, anytime I could do brass on my funk band, I do it. Not the same thing, I know but with good samples and when you know how to write scores for horns, thus, how to play them and which chords to play, you can do a decent job and people like it a lot. But I know, brass section is crazy good, but people have to pay for 3 more persons!!!
Yea, from what I have gathered since joining the band that (the extra $) is why they don't book more gigs. People don't want to pay what it takes to get 10-12-15 professionals on stage. I'm hoping they will let me handle a little bit of our social media presence, marketing, and booking moving forward. I think I could find us some well-paying gigs, but being the new guy I don't want to overstep ya know.

The Funk/dance band we were (I said we were because with Covid, it all goes away), we had 3 female singers so, 7 pieces band. At a minimum of 300/350$ per person, plus extra, PA and lights rental, well, 2500$, more 3000$ minimum so, add 1000$ and that start to be high.

Tastefull drumming. I played in an 8 piece horn band and our initial horn section never frequented rehearsals as well until charts were written. No charts no band. We eventually hired a section that could actually do it all without charts which was liberating to us all. The chart gathering thing was a thorn in our side forever..UNTIL 😃.

Very nice!

My first gig when I was 16 years old was playing in a 16 piece big band (Much like RickP). Chart reading all the way, but very seldom any "real" drum charts. Most of the time I was just given a lead trumpet chart and was told "Ok kid, catch the hits!". The band leader was a friend of my Dad's (that's how I got the gig) and the outgoing drummer told me something I will never forget:

"Kid, hitting a crash cymbal with four trumpets blaring behind you is a thing of beauty"!. Man, he was right. Nothing like it to this day!

So, I joined a new band recently. The core of the band has been together for quite some time and they have rotated various brass players in and out over the years, but they always play with at least a sax and most often with sax, trumpets, and trombone. I played my first gig with them last weekend and it was my first time playing with horns ever (brass didn't come to rehearsals, they are just reading and playing). It is SO much different playing with a horn section and I cannot wait to do it again! Also, thinking we need to add a sax player to my 5 piece classic rock band now as well. It just adds so much!

LOVE the sax

Nice playing!
My band has a fine Sax man, played in high-school, then years in the Marine band. A great soloist, he can do reciprocal breathing, holding one note through 2 chord progressions. Once, he did this while running from the back of the crowd and finished by jumping on stage. Using his wireless pick-up, he walks playing, through a crowd or bar, he always gets great crowd response. He brings 4 saxes, knows how to use them. also plays a little keys, guitar and lead and backing vocals
Speaking of horns, at Blues jams recently I have seen an incredible Trumpet man sit in and blow the room away.
Also a young guy on Trombone, like-wise, with monster chops and referencing cool Jazz riffs. Rare treats.

Back