Playing/Storing E-kit in a cold garage for winter?

nickadam814

So I got in trouble for playing my ekit in my apartment by management and if i continue to play they could terminate my lease. So my only option is to store it in one of the garages they offer. So i was wondering if playing the kit when its really cold or just just storing it in the garage is going to affect it or break it.

I don't think the cold is going to be a problem. Moisture is going to be the issue. That being said, the operator of a modern garage door opener has pcb components in them and they hold up fine.

Either way, I'd keep the brain in the house.

The manual should have a recommended minimum temp. I don't think it should be an issue. But I think you will want to have a portable heater behind your back for your own comfort.

Given that this forum has members logging in from places as diverse as tropical Queensland to the frozen wastelands of Canadia and Scandiwegia, I think you need to define your terms of 'winter' and 'cold' as they will mean very different things to different people.

I'd move. There is probably another place where you can make a little noise.

So I got in trouble for playing my ekit in my apartment by management and if i continue to play they could terminate my lease. So my only option is to store it in one of the garages they offer. So i was wondering if playing the kit when its really cold or just just storing it in the garage is going to affect it or break it.

How did an e-kit make too much noise? Were you playing through an amp? Maybe some mesh heads and silent cymbals would alleviate the problem?

Must have paper thin walls!

How did an e-kit make too much noise? Were you playing through an amp? Maybe some mesh heads and silent cymbals would alleviate the problem?

Must have paper thin walls!

Usually the impact of the bass drum beater is heard through even good walls/floors. In worse cases, the "clack" of the rims/drums is also audible. They are not even close to silent.

Usually the impact of the bass drum beater is heard through even good walls/floors. In worse cases, the "clack" of the rims/drums is also audible. They are not even close to silent.

If it is the impact of the bass drum pedal being stomped travelling through the floors and wooden studwork in the walls then a 'tennis ball platform' can be used to isolate it. Basically you take a sheet of MDF, and lay it on top of about 16 tennis balls, drill holes about 1" or so in the MDF in the position you intend to place the tennis balls so it cannot roll. (The tennis balls will be positioned directly under them and it will be held in place and stable). The platform is for the drum set - your throne can remain on the floor - just raise it an inch or two. The weight of the drumset will compress the tennis balls but leave a 1 inch air gap under the MDF which will isolate the constant pedal impact travelling through the woodwork. Cover it with a drum mat or carpeting and this should stop the impact noise of stomping the pedal travelling through the floor and joists.
If it is the sound of the beater and sticks hitting the pads that is causing complaints, unfortunately you are probably screwed.

I would recommend a cheap used starter acoustic set fitted with mesh heads, combined with a 'tennis ball' platform, You should still be able to use your e cymbals.

Last edited:
Those platforms do help, but they aren't the cure all people on VDrums make them out to be. I've seen a really nice one in person, and all it did was dampen the noise. He still couldn't play at night, but it was enough for the neighbors not to complain mid-day.

Those platforms do help, but they aren't the cure all people on VDrums make them out to be. I've seen a really nice one in person, and all it did was dampen the noise. He still couldn't play at night, but it was enough for the neighbors not to complain mid-day.

Unfortunately, you are 100% correct. They help reduce impact noise through floors (like someone who lives in an apartment directly above you who seems to stomp around in diving boots instead of walking like regular folks) but do nothing to reduce overall noise levels. Mesh heads are very quiet and will eliminate most of the clacking sound of sticks on plastic heads. But a rimshot and playing cross stick will always have the same volume regardless of best intentions.

As it has already got to the stage where your landlord has threatened your lease, I feel that you will be at the mercy of your neighbours and they will probably complain at the slightest provocation, regardless of what lengths you go to.

I had a similar situation a few years ago when I had an e-kit and lived in an apartment, I didn't get an official noise violation but my downstairs neighbor hit her ceiling/my floor with a broom or another hard item til I stopped playing!
That was after I changed out my kick drum beater to a really soft beater and wasn't even playing hard at the time.

The cold shouldn't effect your e-kit. Just make sure the garages have a power outlet and you should be good to go!

I dunno, I would think cold or hot would have some kind of impact on the materials used in an E-kit. Rubber and Plastic change properties based on surrounding temperatures. This is just based on my past experience with everyday household items.

If the kit has been out in the cold, suddenly whacking it could be become problematic. Cracking perhaps in the rubber and plastic?

I'm pretty sure the kits are material designed for conditioned environments.

Hopefully a materials expert could chime in.

The temperature specifications for your module and kit will be in the instruction manual under handling.

I store my e-kit in one of these at the end of my driveway on the curb:

trashbig.jpg

Just kidding in my last post!

In all seriousness, don't those things tear down in a pretty compact way? Could you just buy a suitcase and put it under the bed or in the closet?

Back