Playing music no one else wants to.

topgun2021

Gold Member
When this happens, do you sit at your practice space and play the music you want to play but no one else wants to so you can get your fix and get it out of your system?

I usually do this on a regular basis.

I do it all the time. My bands play all originals all the time, which is good, but sometimes I just want to get my freak on with who-knows-what, so I show up an hour or two early for practice and play along to whatever's turning me on lately, which is usually nothing like what we play as a band.

Yes. And that doesn't stop me from trying to weasel in a few of those during practice, just for kicks, although we usually don't have time anyway after it's all said and done. Oh well.

I'm still not sure I understand the question - clarification please?

I'm still not sure I understand the question - clarification please?
Didn't he clarify enough in Post #3?
Can definitely identify with this when I was playing in a covers band (pop, rock, Top 40 , etc)- music for the masses stuff.
The heaviest song we ever did (or allowed to do anyway) would have been "Enter Sandman" so in order to get my metal fix- it was off to the e-kit with a set of headphones and a CD player (yes, this was before the iPod)!

Yes.

I finally formed a band around a concept I had of different influences not too many other people like. Did an album. Did a show. OK, got that out.

Then when my bandmates from that band had other things going, I realized next I wanted to make some music I was sure no one else wants to hear.

So I decided I would do it all myself and not rely on outside people who might quit the band later. It's a super slow process, that may never yield any results. But at least I can say I'm doing it my way.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have two friends who seem to be on the same page as me and we usually like to learn what the other guy brings to the table.

But I do inevitably have to play some stuff alone w/my ipod to get my "fix".

I've never found a band that wanted to play the kind of off-the-wall music I enjoy. Like a musical Groucho Marx, I want to play in bands that won't accept me as a member.

Funny thing. We practice hard to progress, which includes listening deeply and broadly to music. Most people don't listen very hard to music - they want something to dance to or sing along with, hip background to talk or shout over, a prop in the mating game, socially relevant lyrics etc. So we tend to have a lot of unexpressed music in us that cannot compete in a tight and competitive music market shaped by business interests.

I love home recording. In fact I have a new track in the Your Playing section right now!
// end shameless plug :)

Yes.

I finally formed a band around a concept I had of different influences not too many other people like. Did an album. Did a show. OK, got that out.

Then when my bandmates from that band had other things going, I realized next I wanted to make some music I was sure no one else wants to hear.

So I decided I would do it all myself and not rely on outside people who might quit the band later. It's a super slow process, that may never yield any results. But at least I can say I'm doing it my way.

I did sort of the same thing. Got some good players together, showed them my tunes, we rehearsed, recorded, played a few gigs, played the jazz festival, and that was it. No more band. Okay, my music is a bit over the top, but I think the main reason is that i just couldn't afford it.

I'dove to do some hard driving jazz fusion ala Karizma or Five Peace Band. I'll make it happen some day.

All the time. Not too many people in my town are into prog.

Back