Playing in bands and liking the set list

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
How many drummers here play in bands that have songs that aren't your first choice in music? In other words do a lot of drummers play in gigging bands just to keep playing out even if the music isn't your particular cup of tea?
I couldn't be in a band playing music I don't like, but one of the bands I'm in plays about 50% of music that I don't hate but don't particularly care for either. There's a recent thread about playing softly where someone mentioned that they played in a restaurant for 4 years I think where the vocalist didn't even use a mic. I don't think I could do that. Thank God I do have a band where I really love all the songs we do. I don't do this for the money so I must at least be neutral or better concerning the music. If I had to play in a band with music I didn't like just so I could play out, I don't think I'd last very long. I don't have that kind of tolerance.

How many drummers here play in bands that have songs that aren't your first choice in music? In other words do a lot of drummers play in gigging bands just to keep playing out even if the music isn't your particular cup of tea?
I couldn't be in a band playing music I don't like, but one of the bands I'm in plays about 50% of music that I don't hate but don't particularly care for either. There's a recent thread about playing softly where someone mentioned that they played in a restaurant for 4 years I think where the vocalist didn't even use a mic. I don't think I could do that. Thank God I do have a band where I really love all the songs we do. I don't do this for the money so I must at least be neutral or better concerning the music. If I had to play in a band with music I didn't like just so I could play out, I don't think I'd last very long. I don't have that kind of tolerance.
There are songs in my bands setlist that I don't like. I just TRY to make them sound as legitimate as possible with drumming I HOPE improves the song to a degree not possible without what I've done.

I currently play in a project which offer quite a bit of the tunes which I enjoy. To me it is part of group dynamic everyone brings something to the band since we all have different upbringing, musical origins but a common ground. It also lets me try things that i dont normally do so it is a learning experience. I personally play it hard as the audience deserves that even sometimes if its the bar staff and the chairs l There are certain tunes that I have said I will not play unless someone really pays up because I do find them abhorrent Luck we all have the same ideas in that regard bu ti am flexible. We don't do this exclusively for money but money has come out it as we are semi pro.

I have had this situation in previous bands, I like to look at challenge of nailing a song I really don't care for. It is much more work then nailing a song you love. I also find many of these song I actually end up liking after I put the effort into it ;-)

yea I filled in with a band that had just lost their drummer and needed one for a show. I just wanted to play so I did, but i wasnt a fan of the music. good experience though and it helped them out.

Back