Playing for fun, what do you do?

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Working on some old slow blues beats in 3/8 where the tempo is relatively slow but whoever it is playing (dont know- just heard the song on the radio and it stuck in my head) is so solid with his time that it kind of blew me away. ticktick ticktick (not- tick ticktick tick ticktick) for like 5 minutes without any fills but sooo steady. A real reset/perspective changer for me to hear. Working it every day or its working me every day.
Try playing along with Steve Jordan on John Mayer's Gravity and not getting ahead of him. While most folks think of gospel chops as overplaying, one thing I learned from playing with real gospel folks, is to take your time. Don't rush it, especially after playing a fill. Give it a little drama.

JasperGTR

I play old Portnoy stuff... Drum for drum.

(When I cover, I like to do exactly (or as close to, because cymbals differ) as possible)

His style just reminds me how much fun drumming should really be.

_Leviathan_

When I play for fun, I like to see how many ideas I can come up between the hi-hats, snare, and bass drum mostly. Also, tribal tom beats and fill ideas.

I don't get much opportunity to play drums by myself, so when I do, I usually go wild for an hour or two playing non-stop with beat and fill ideas to use when I jam with my band and write new songs. I love coming up with new fill combinations, as well as intricate ghost notes between the bass and snare, Copeland-style hi-hat patterns, that sort of thing. It's amazing how much you can get out of the bass, snare and hi-hats. I'm still trying to find as much there as possible, growing my vocabulary of beats and making them feel good.

JasperGTR

When I play for fun, I like to see how many ideas I can come up between the hi-hats, snare, and bass drum mostly. Also, tribal tom beats and fill ideas.

I don't get much opportunity to play drums by myself, so when I do, I usually go wild for an hour or two playing non-stop with beat and fill ideas to use when I jam with my band and write new songs. I love coming up with new fill combinations, as well as intricate ghost notes between the bass and snare, Copeland-style hi-hat patterns, that sort of thing. It's amazing how much you can get out of the bass, snare and hi-hats. I'm still trying to find as much there as possible, growing my vocabulary of beats and making them feel good.
Yeah, I've been kind'a doing this too... But what are 'ghost notes'?

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I still have fun working on the drum pad while listening to tunes and playing around with different stickings, rolls etc... going along with the melody and words.

I used to play along to my different CDs and albums all the time, but I don't anymore for some reason.

I generally play my parts to my different bands songs without the cd's in my ear.

It's fun, and gets the muscle memory sharp, which helps a LOT, because many times the monitor situations are not the best haha!